Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Got a UL-1...let's see it!

We have a fun run once a month in Land O Lakes. About 15 us of total in the group. It's all electric. We run on a lake behind a guy's house. We are desperately looking for a small lake in our area where we can sanction it under NAMBA or IMPBA and create a formal club.

We would love to have you join us! Send me a PM with your email address and I'll give you the details!

Quote Originally Posted by Jman View Post
    sailr you are in Tampa? I am in Clearwater. Where do you run at?

Love the little cracker! Is that from Vacuboats? Length? Motor? ESC? Batts?

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Crash View Post
    I make my own on the ink jet printer like the ones on my UL-1 (see first post) and on the Team Navy Crackerbox seen here.

Quote Originally Posted by sailr View Post
    Love the little cracker! Is that from Vacuboats? Length? Motor? ESC? Batts?

No...the Navy P-88 Boat is a scratch build 20" boat with Trinity 27 turn monster motor, currently powered by Maxamp 6 pack of 4700 Cs, going through a Electrifly C55 ESC, and scratch cooling coil with electric fan on the end bell. But I have a vac-u-cracker kit built one too.

Here are some more pics before we go back to the topic in hand.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default OK, I admit it !

Finally found graphics that fit my personality !
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Crash View Post
    No...the Navy P-88 Boat is a scratch build 20" boat with Trinity 27 turn monster motor, currently powered by Maxamp 6 pack of 4700 Cs, going through a Electrifly C55 ESC, and scratch cooling coil with electric fan on the end bell. But I have a vac-u-cracker kit built one too.

Here are some more pics before we go back to the topic in hand.

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    Finally found graphics that fit my personality !
    Tony... where is the pull starter and spark plug sticking up out of the hatch???
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

We run at a guy's house on a lake in Land O' Lakes. We get together once a month. I think the group is going to Ft. Pierce for races in mid march so the regular march fun run may be put off. PM me your email. We'll add you to the list. Where do you run over your way?

Quote Originally Posted by Jman View Post
    sailr you are in Tampa? I am in Clearwater. Where do you run at?

Default A little more paint & sticker{s}

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    Tony... where is the pull starter and spark plug sticking up out of the hatch???
    Just fueling a secret desire (pun intended)
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    Just fueling a secret desire (pun intended)

I think you should throw a fake plug on top and a pipe out the back just to confuse people...
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    I think you should throw a fake plug on top and a pipe out the back just to confuse people...
    Don't give me any ideas ! Hmmmm.....

Experimenting with Tamiya Fluorescent Red Lacquer. I did not use any primer. I just scuffed fins using 00 grade steel wool then wiped surface using denatured alcohal before painting. I wonder how well this paint will hold up to being taped then untaped? I may paint entire hull this color?
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXRS68&P=7

Tamiya has a verygood paint finishing section on their web site.
    http://www.tamiyausa.com/articles/index.php?id=8

Last edited by detox; 03-07-2009 at 12:48 AM.

I have used it on ABS hulls very successfully. I don't know about a painted glass hull, though.

Did you use white as a base coat? It makes the red really glow!

Andy
    Spektrum Development Team

Quote Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post

Andy
    I simply scuffed the factory White paint before spraying on the Fluorescent Red lacquer. This is a beautiful high gloss glowing color lacquer that can be color sanded then buffed for even more shine.

Warning: DO NOT USE the Polycarbonate version of this paint. Polycarbonate paint is only used to spray inside clear lexan car/truck bodies.

The White primer you see in background is for another project. I never used it on this boat.
    Last edited by detox; 03-07-2009 at 11:16 AM.

Here is mine, painted with krylon rattle can and clear coated with Sikkens Autoclear III.
    R/C Unlimiteds
    NAMBA 237

Thats Purdy

That is one hell of a paint job. Are the black stripes paint. If so a double wow.

To Properchopper
    Tony, I love your graphics

Douggie
    Last edited by Flying Scotsman; 03-07-2009 at 12:44 PM.

I have used it on ABS hulls very successfully. I don't know about a painted glass hull, though.

Andy
    Andy/Detox, you can use the TS series of Tamiya paints, BUT test for compatability with Tamiya surface primer on a small portion of the pre painted surface after wet sanding. Tamiya paints are fantastic. All my boats are painted with this paint

Douggie

Be extremely careful using Steel Wool on your electric boat. Two reasons. First, the magnets in the motor can 'suck up' small fragments of the steel wool and cause you some serious problems like shorting out the fields, causing premature bearing wear, overheating, etc. Second, anyone that has ever used steel wool on a full size boat only does it ONCE. The tiny fragments from the steel wool lay on the gelcoat of the boat and cause rust stains that will NOT come out!

If you can find BRONZE wool, that's the stuff to use. I have tried unsuccessfully in the Tampa area to find 'fine' or 'extra fine' 3m scuff pads. I haven't tried an auto paint store yet. That's next. In lieu of all of the above, I use 600-1000 grit wetordry sandpaper.

Quote Originally Posted by detox View Post
    Experimenting with Tamiya Fluorescent Red Lacquer. I did not use any primer. I just scuffed fins using 00 grade steel wool then wiped surface using denatured alcohal before painting. I wonder how well this paint will hold up to being taped then untaped? I may paint entire hull this color?
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXRS68&P=7

Tamiya has a verygood paint finishing section on their web site.
    http://www.tamiyausa.com/articles/index.php?id=8

Be extremely careful using Steel Wool on your electric boat. Two reasons. First, the magnets in the motor can 'suck up' small fragments of the steel wool and cause you some serious problems like shorting out the fields, causing premature bearing wear, overheating, etc. Second, anyone that has ever used steel wool on a full size boat only does it ONCE. The tiny fragments from the steel wool lay on the gelcoat of the boat and cause rust stains that will NOT come out!

If you can find BRONZE wool, that's the stuff to use. I have tried unsuccessfully in the Tampa area to find 'fine' or 'extra fine' 3m scuff pads. I haven't tried an auto paint store yet. That's next. In lieu of all of the above, I use 600-1000 grit wetordry sandpaper.
    Good Info...Thanks!

Wool and Scotch Brite pads form to curved surfaces lots easier than paper ever will.

And your point is? You have to work with what you can get and won't cause problems like steel wool.

Good Info...Thanks!

Wool and Scotch Brite pads form to curved surfaces lots easier than paper ever will.

Who would paint a boat with the motor in it?!?!

Andy
    Spektrum Development Team

And your point is?
    It would be well worth the effort to find some fine bronze wool or fine Scotch Brite pads. Fine sandpaper clogs TOO quickly and is difficult to hold on to while wet sanding.
    http://www.steelwool.biz/Bronze_Wool.htm

Quote Originally Posted by CircusCircus View Post
    Here is mine, painted with krylon rattle can and clear coated with Sikkens Autoclear III.
    Looks really nice. Can you breif us on your prep?!?!?!?! Have you seen any "wrinkling" like Darin did?

Thanks
    Mike

Andy! You should know better than that! You and I wouldn't but don't you know there are a lot of people our there that do crazy things? They just mask off the cockpit and paint away! Even removing the motor doesn't do any good if it's sitting anywhere near where they're using steel wool.

Who would paint a boat with the motor in it?!?!

Andy

Thanks for the link!

It would be well worth the effort to find some fine bronze wool or fine Scotch Brite pads. Fine sandpaper clogs TOO quickly and is difficult to hold on to while wet sanding.
    http://www.steelwool.biz/Bronze_Wool.htm

Quote Originally Posted by CircusCircus View Post
    Wow! Nice job! Resembles Kellog's Tony the Tiger. How did you keep from painting the black windshield? Did you mask the black decal or remove it then reapply it after painting? Next I will be painting my cockpit and motor cover area Fluorescent Red.

Hi guys, I prepped the hull using 600grit wet. and then just started masking my lines using fine line tape. Canopy I used a gray scotch brite and special Sikkens product call Primer PO specifically designed for raw plastic, this ensures a good bond between the subrate and your paint (paint wont peel off when tape is taken-off canopy), I think every paint manufacture has this type of primer.

For the windsheild I just masked it off with fine line tape, I dont think its a decal detox.

No wrinkles, I didnt experience any wrinkles, but they can be avioded by not pounding on your paint, go nice and light on your first two-three coats. Also Laquer and Enamel dont MIX, be sure the products you use are compatable.
    R/C Unlimiteds
    NAMBA 237

Circus,

Thanks for you explination. I am almost finished with my sponson work which will leave me with preping and painting.

MIke

Here are some pics of my UL-1 running yesterday. Pics taken by John Masciotti!
    that boat look familiar...did I see it at the Waveblaster meet in florida on sunday the 15th of march?

Yes you did. I ran it in LSH class. Got 4th because I jumped the start in two out of three races, cut a buoy in another. DOH! Just think of the possibilities if I could drive! Haha.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast