Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Got a UL-1...let's see it!

nice pics what set up are you running prop batts ect?

Quote Originally Posted by sewerpit View Post
    nice pics what set up are you running prop batts ect?
    Same as noted in other posts....MaxAmp 5250s with the Grimracer 40X57/3.

Runs were 47-48 mph 1st lap...about 1 mph slower than last time with nothing changed. I figure the choppy conditions slowed me some....less time with the prop in the water. She ran great and took everything (full speed) I gave her in the corners. Repairs still holding up too.

My interpretation.

nice

That is sweet sailr. What did you paint the hatch with?

Here's a simple idea...Florescent Red sides, but bottom of boat will be White just like the top.
    Last edited by detox; 02-21-2009 at 08:01 AM.

Yahoo! That oughta be easy to see! Cool!

Quote Originally Posted by detox View Post
    Here's a simple idea...Florescent Red sides and bottom of boat will be White just like the top.

I used Krylon FUSION gloss black. I then clear coated it with Testors(?) Model Masters extra gloss clear. I'll run the boat for the first time Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by Jman View Post
    That is sweet sailr. What did you paint the hatch with?

I like the floresent red.

Here are some pics of my UL-1 running yesterday. Pics taken by John Masciotti!
    Attached Images Attached Images

More
    Last edited by sailr; 02-23-2009 at 01:23 PM.

Rockin dude...how did she do...it looks like you over took the Miss Elam. Let's here the skinny man!

Last set. BTW, my boat is the Red with black trim!

I won the race by staying out of everybody's way and finishing! haha. Actually, I was pretty impressed with the Miss Elam. It runs good! This was the first run ever on my UL-1 and it held it's own pretty well even with the stock prop. The guys who have been running theirs a while and have experimented with props and strut depth, etc. were faster than me by a couple of mph but they all flipped or smoked and didn't finish. The next heat after this one I changed from the stock plastic prop and put on the grimracer 40x52/3 and she came alive even more. Next time I get a chance to run, I'll play around with some more setups. I love the way the boat drives. Rock solid. I will tell you one secret, I'm running 5000mAh batts. The guys running smaller (lighter) batts couldn't keep the boat on the water! Weight is your friend!

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Crash View Post
    Rockin dude...how did she do...it looks like you over took the Miss Elam. Let's here the skinny man!

One other thing, two of the guys were melting the solder on the motor/esc bullet connectors! Their boats were fast as hell, one was running an Octura M640 and the other an M645. They were scratching their heads. Simple...they were overamping with those props, generating enough heat to melt the solder. One of them had his ESC fail as well although it didn't smoke.

I've read somewhere that the M645 prop is the secret. I have one too but I'm NOT going to use it if it is gonna fry everything. Could be their strut needs to be raised more. Basically I'm just a Sunday boater and don't have the time or inclination to fart around with stuff and spend any more than I have to. I do know the boat runs great with what I have. After all, the secret to winning is finishing the race.... right?

Great report....and I agree with the prop selection too. Although I'm only using the 40X57/3 and getting about 3-4 mph more out of it than the 40X52/3, it is a trade off in run time. I was getting 3 good 2.5min runs out of the less aggressive prop vs 2 runs out of the 40X57. Both set ups are very stable after shifting the weight forward though. I'm glad the Elam is running good too....it will make for more selection in a good ole back yard dog fight.

The only problem I'm having using the 5000mAh packs is the boat wants to submarine really bad from a dead stop startup. Not sure if strut angle would help me here or not. I hate to screw with it too much because it's running really well. Not sure how long we ran but probably close to 10 minutes. I only put 3000mAh's back into my 5000 flightpowers after that run. Nothing was even warm.

I'm using 5250s and have to goose it full power momentarily to get out of the hole...if you have a air dam it will be worse because it drags in the water till you get up. I have no problem getting up on plane with mine and it hooks up (quits cavitation) within a few feet of giving full power once it's up. Sometimes it takes it 20-50 ft to hookup if I just go full power from a dead stop.

yep, I'll have to play around with it. Every time I goosed it, it went deeper...;-0 I figured the airdam would just be problems so I didn't put one on. The guys running them can't seem to keep 'em stuck to the boat anyway. My boat doesn't have any tendency to blow over so no worries.

My 5000's will just BARELY fit in there lengthwise. What kind of 5250's are you using?

and what run times you getting with the 5250 batterys and what prop??? i cant seem to find an answer. and can't you guys just give the boat a little throttle and a shove to get it on plane? almost like a running start. like the nitro hydro's. great pics sailr
    Last edited by EATMYWAKE; 02-23-2009 at 09:47 PM. Reason: duuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, i dont realy know?

Of course we can throw the boat in on plane, no problem. It's if we stop out in the water for some reason or want to do a dead stop start, getting it on plane is a problem.

I didn't really time my runs with my 5000mAh batts. We throw the boats in, make a couple of laps on a 330' course, and then do a flying start and race for 6 laps. Our total time out there is probably around 3-4 minutes. With the 40x52/3 brass prop, I use about 3000mAh. So I'm really only getting one run on a charge.

Read post #46:
    Great report....and I agree with the prop selection too. Although I'm only using the 40X57/3 and getting about 3-4 mph more out of it than the 40X52/3, it is a trade off in run time. I was getting 3 good 2.5min runs out of the less aggressive prop vs 2 runs out of the 40X57.

Thanks for the comments on the pics!
    Last edited by sailr; 02-24-2009 at 03:49 AM. Reason: add info

Default decals you can always take them off

thought id go the decal route, i will be painting the cowl red and cockpit yellow , stickers make it look faster lol

Looks good. Where do you guys find all your stickers!? I have gone by all the speed shops in Tampa. They always say they don't have anything.

Default decals

ill send you the link tommorrow when i get to my office, they have great stuff gotem on line, shipped home in two days

Great! Thanks! Will look forward to getting your source!

sailr you are in Tampa? I am in Clearwater. Where do you run at?

here you go sailer good luck ,crash daddy racing decals and patches

I got some of those stickers when I bought the parts for my 350 SB... lol

Looks good on the UL1 tho!!
    My prop hasn't been wet in a while.

I make my own on the ink jet printer like the ones on my UL-1 (see first post) and on the Team Navy Crackerbox seen here.

Cool! I'll check 'em out!

Quote Originally Posted by sewerpit View Post
    here you go sailer good luck ,crash daddy racing decals and patches

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast