Thread: OSE10 max wire gauge

Default OSE10 max wire gauge

I'm trying to find out what the maximum wire size I can use on an OSE10 connector, and it's max current rating.

I know the OSE8 is good for 6awg wire and 200 amps (with silicon coated wire). I'm hoping the OSE10 is good for 2-4 awg and 300-400 amps.

I'm using this for an e-motorcycle.

Thanks in advance!

Website says 6AWG and the comparable 10mm bullet is rated for up to 300A
    https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...=ose-qs10-anti
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    Website says 6AWG and the comparable 10mm bullet is rated for up to 300A
    https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...=ose-qs10-anti
    I read the website, but I was hoping to hear from someone with experience with the connector. The OSE8 can use up to 6awg...so why would a much larger connector use the exact same size max wire? Sometimes websites are incorrect.

I don't think there is a need to go greater than 6AWG unless you are powering a city.
    Nortavlag Bulc

It means that 6AWG is enough in this situation? Sorry, I'm new and I don't understand well.

Take it all with a grain of salt.

What I think you're referring to by OSE 8, is really a QS8 connector. https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...d=ose-qs8-anti

I use these connectors on every boat I've got, usually in a parallel battery configuration. I can tell you I pull well above 200A through 8ga or 10ga wire between the ESC and connectors, and 10ga wire creating the parallel connection. I pull 300A plus regularly, and have gone has high as 440A.

While it's quite true that a larger wire would decrease the resistance, a lot of my builds I run more than one wire into the QS8 connector, like a single 8ga from the ESC and a single 10ga to the parallel battery, into the same "bullet" on a QS8 connector. I could wire it differently I suppose, but with all my boats, pulling the amp draws above, I've yet to have a solder joint failure anywhere in any of my boats since I switched to QS8's.

Quote Originally Posted by tbonemcniel View Post
    Take it all with a grain of salt.

What I think you're referring to by OSE 8, is really a QS8 connector. https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...d=ose-qs8-anti

I use these connectors on every boat I've got, usually in a parallel battery configuration. I can tell you I pull well above 200A through 8ga or 10ga wire between the ESC and connectors, and 10ga wire creating the parallel connection. I pull 300A plus regularly, and have gone has high as 440A.

While it's quite true that a larger wire would decrease the resistance, a lot of my builds I run more than one wire into the QS8 connector, like a single 8ga from the ESC and a single 10ga to the parallel battery, into the same "bullet" on a QS8 connector. I could wire it differently I suppose, but with all my boats, pulling the amp draws above, I've yet to have a solder joint failure anywhere in any of my boats since I switched to QS8's.
    this is an old thread revived by a spam bot. Nonetheless I concur. I pull 225A through 8awg wire and do not have any solder joint issues. My other boat runs 10awg with maybe 110a and EC5 and it melts joints from time to time on 4s. I dont particularly think its QS8 so much as the adequate gauge wire/bullets and higher voltages that keeps temps cool enough to not melt joints.

high voltage = higher efficiency
    larger wire = higher efficiency
    larger connectors = higher efficiency