Thread: TFL Arneson outdrive

Default TFL Arneson outdrive

I am awaiting the arrival of a TFL Arneson outdrive to be fitted to a blank 1330 mm (53 inch) TFL Outerlimits P1 hull. It seems that information on this drive, apart from a few images, is rather scarce. One image sourced simply shows a straight brass tube obviously intended to be the stuffing tube. I had to source a U.S. store simply to find out the length of the steering cables. I believe that I will need a 1/4" cable with a 5 mm X 5 mm square on one end. Also I wonder how the maintenance is carried out on these units. Is there an assembly instruction download or has someone actually installed one of these, please? The Arrow Shark website goes into great detail as to assembling and tuning their own Arneson drive.

The ultimate goal is to have a brushless drive (around 56104 with 730kv running either 8s or 10s with a 300 amp esc)) with a single drive and a prop around 65 mm, maybe larger if temps and amps are not excessive. I am hoping that around 50 mph could be achieved. The stock hull weighs in around 4 kilograms, so with a partial carbon inlay and all the accessories, I believe all up weight would be around 8 kg. Is this excessive for a 56 series motor please? I know that these ex-gasser hulls do stretch the friendship with 56 series motors.

Also, on a 1330mm mono I assume a quarter scale servo would be needed for the outdrive. Would a Hitec HS-755HB be suitable please?

Well, I am committed now with the arrival of the hull. I will start a build log when I commence construction. Supplied as a blank hull, I was surprised that all the cutouts for the gas motor and the 5" rails had been carried out. Beautifully finished externally and internally. I will get a rail motor mount for a 56 brushless motor. While I would have preferred not to get a gasser hull I particularly like the "Lucky Oct" Outerlimits livery which would have been expensive and difficult to execute on a more prototypical hull. I will need to blank off all the cutouts in the hatch.

I was particularly impressed with the thick carbon rails and the four lengths of carbon fibre rod embedded in the hull. I should have anticipated that the rails would be pre-installed so any carbon inlay will most likely be just down the centre of the keel between the rails plus reinforcing the transom where the Arneson drive will mount. I may install a carbon compression plate under the deck, forward of the hatch opening to reinforce that area. Depending on the CofG I may place a 350mm battery tray down beside each rail as I intend to use two batteries each side in parallel and then in series to give either 8s or 10s.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Old School; 04-01-2021 at 01:45 AM. Reason: Additional information

The Arneson outdrive arrived this afternoon, courtesy of my son. Surprisingly no installation instructions ex-fatory, only a single page exploded parts diagram with the parts listed in Chinese. Installation seems like common sense with the drive strut mounted to the transom and then the centre strut mounted holding the drive in the horizontal position. The two steering cylinders are then fitted horizontally in alignment with the attach point on the drive strut. This will mean the steering cylinders will be submerged prior thrust being applied. I will need to ensure that where they mount to the steering servo arm that they are above waterline.

I recall following a search of Google images that the drive mount boss is fitted with the lower vee of the mount boss 2mm above the bottom of the vee on the hull. I have a pdf of the installation of the Arrow Shark Arneson drive so will make reference to that as well.

There is a set of moulds for that hull for sale in NZ.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/toys-model...5525ee49cc-005
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

Peter,
    even down to the single mini-step in the hull. There does not appear to be anything in the design modified to comply with copyright laws. I wish that mine still had the hatch as it came out of the mould as I have a few "gasser" openings to seal off.
    Last edited by Old School; 04-11-2021 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Additional info

I only know of two hulls that were pulled from that mould, and counting the original it was taken off, only of two originals in NZ. Copyright...pfft! Hulls have been copied forever, China is real good at copying stuff too. There are moulds in NZ for numerous popular hulls over the years. No one is making a business out of it, right wrong or otherwise. There was even a guy who had copied the blazer marine Whiplash and Backlash kits. The couple of guys that are producing hulls here have their own designs.

That hull/mould has a lot of warpage in it, hence the carbon rods set into the strakes to keep it straight. Have you checked the bottom?
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

Peter,
    there is a hook each side, less than 1 mm, approximately 15 cm forward of the transom and mid way between the inner and outer strakes.