Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NAMBA April Time Trial Monday 5th and Tuesday 6th 2021 Huntsville, Alabama

Congratulation's Don on the team work to achieve those times and speeds. Great head scratching !! Hope to get down there in November for some roundy round racing , as long as the boarders are open , and covid has gone away.
    Cheer's, Jay.

Terry. I thought about turning it off but I didn't think to take my laptop. And with the Atlanta race coming up, I didn't want to be down another esc. I got one wet at the February SOWEGA race and made copious amounts of smoke. So for the next race I'm having to use another one of my BLASTED MGM escs.

I think that "next time" for a record try, I'm not going to take more props, I think that rather than going bigger on the prop, I'll just add more kv, and go down on prop diameter, because Martin said that it was pulling to the right a lot. More diameter means more prop walk! You should have heard what he told me about how he was making the SAW passes. Half way through our talk, I raised my hand and said, you do what you do, and I'll be over there in the pits turning the wrenches. I know when to keep my mouth shut!!!

I would like to get the prop back down into the 1814-15 range and get to the speeds I am at now, and go up from there with pitch, until I run out of pitch, then go up to the 19 diameters. I have a 3050kv, 3180, and a 3300kv motors that are similar to the one I was running.............more head scratching ahead for sure.

Thanks for the congrat guys. I wish Martin was on here so you could give him some credit too. I would have been able to get a couple of the records by myself (I think), but with him doing the driving, that took a lot of pressure off of me and I could think more about rpm,props,amps, the mechanic side of things, that's where I'm at my best. All day long I was texting the family back home about the results. After getting the ltd cat records, I was ready to head home because that was all I really went after. I hadn't really planned to go to this event, but the day before the weather predictions were so good that I decided to go. My usual drivers Lamar and Brad couldn't be there, so I was reluctant to go. Boy was I relieved to see Martin was there, with him driving, it actually does become "easy" to do. No mater how good a driver you think you are, for oval records, I'll bet money he can better your times.

Hats off to Don for an awesome records haul including one or two records I had previously. As much as I dislike the limited class rules Don has put in the effort to tweak these motors to really output noteworthy power. 300A is about double what the best stock AQ motor I used for time trials could output before smoking.

The more offensive point is he had a hired gun drive the boat. C'mon Don, drive you own boats.

See you guys in Atlanta.
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525
    T-Hydro @ 142.94mph former WR

I know that this "limited" debate has gone on for years. What is being achieved is wow, and well done to those who put in the time and effort, with a fair bit of driving skill to set the records.

The only thing that can truly limit an electric class is the battery capacity, watt hours, or the size of the 'fuel tank'. With 10,000 mah max, the potential is always there to utilise all the power available. The only way to limit it is essentially a smaller fuel "tank", the battery. If you had a 5000 or 6000 mah limit would you see the same results? Perhaps if batteries can be obtained that will perform for speed and 2-lap. It does however bring an actual limit in oval racing.

For our club P-ltd offshore class, we limited the motor size to 36 x 75, the hull length to 36" max, and batt capacity to 6000 mah. The whole point was to make sure we had an entry level class that can capture any RTR boats available (the Sonicwake fits, hence the 36"). One of the boats in our club was build from a not so great random glass hull, no stinger or trim tabs, just a stuffing tube straight out the back, TP 3640 2150 kv motor, Raider 150 esc, and it runs on turnigy HD 5000 mah batt and an M445. It is surprisingly competitive, and to be fair all the boats are fairly evenly matched for speed, so the racing means that whoever gets the best start and can hold the lead will usually win. It has broken the monopoly on winning that I had for sure, but it is more fun.

Not trying to change what you guys are doing, just sharing what we are doing. It has to be about having fun doing this or it isn't worth doing is it?
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

"The more offensive point is he had a hired gun drive the boat. C'mon Don, drive you own boats."

Really Tyler??? To quote the famous Dirty Harry "A MAN, has got to know his limitations" I know MOST of mine now that I'm old enough to accept the facts. And I DO know that I am not the best driver out there. At 67 years old, my reactions, vision, and hearing are all failing me. And yes, hearing is very important to controlling a raging monster that's right on the limits.

Yes, I could have gotten a couple of those records on my own, but why? I'm not the type that thinks I'm the best at everything. What I am is a damn good mechanic. I can look at things and figure out how to make them faster, quicker, smoother, more reliable, etc,etc. I am not a "great" driver.....anymore. I like to watch top fuel drag racing, because it is about 90% the machine, yes the driver has a lot to do with it, but not as much as in other racing venues. I enjoy seeing what the crew chief can do with the machine, and I don't really care who the driver is, unless it's John Force---I hate that guy!

Had my son Lamar been there, he would have done the driving. Had Martin nor Lamar, not been there, and you were there, I would have asked you, if you would drive for me, to positively get two to seven records. Would you be whining then??????? I'm not afraid to share a record. I can recognize talent when I see it. And you are one of the few who has it.

And just so you know, a lot of this P-limited cheater motor hoopla bs is YOUR fault!!! Because you were the third person to tell me to my face that "there is only so much power that you can get out of a motor can that size" !!! Never ever tell a true hot rodder mechanic that, unless you want to get outrun.

You guys are debating P-Ltd rules AGAIN? Good Grief, let it go!

The class is doing great. Clubs that run it are doing great. It's as simple as it gets, and nobody who is actually running the class is complaining.

And, some of the fastest racers in the country are still doing it with off-the-shelf motors, so this MYTH of a "motor of the month" club is just that...

Seriously, if you don't like it, don't run it, but stop crapping on everyone else who does.
    Last edited by Darin Jordan; 04-14-2021 at 09:22 PM.
    Darin E. Jordan - Renton, WA
    "Self-proclaimed skill-less leader in the hobby."

I've been a member of the club for several years now... In fact, I just renewed my subscription!

Usually you get a stock AQ or SSS, but every once in awhile you get one of dem super dooper motors!!!

Later,
    Lamar
    Attached Images Attached Images
    --- Contact me for information on HUFFRACING modified Zenoah engines ---
    --- Record setting performance at an affordable price! ---

Don, how do you think my brat keeps ending up with fast boats? Know yer limits.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    Don, how do you think my brat keeps ending up with fast boats? Know yer limits.
    His mom?
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by donhuff View Post
    Because you were the third person to tell me to my face that "there is only so much power that you can get out of a motor can that size" !!! Never ever tell a true hot rodder mechanic that, unless you want to get outrun.
    Ummm... Don... there IS only so much power you're going to get out of a motor of that size. You're finding that limit, but that doesn't make the statement any less true.

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    his mom?
    haha, that was good.

Steven Vaccaro

"The more offensive point is he had a hired gun drive the boat. C'mon Don, drive you own boats."

Really Tyler??? To quote the famous Dirty Harry "A MAN, has got to know his limitations" I know MOST of mine now that I'm old enough to accept the facts. And I DO know that I am not the best driver out there. At 67 years old, my reactions, vision, and hearing are all failing me. And yes, hearing is very important to controlling a raging monster that's right on the limits.
    All in good nature fun Don. I have to admit as well I will likely never drive a TT course as fast as Martin, Brian Buaas or Chris Grim, but do enjoy trying.

And just so you know, a lot of this P-limited cheater motor hoopla bs is YOUR fault!!! Because you were the third person to tell me to my face that "there is only so much power that you can get out of a motor can that size" !!! Never ever tell a true hot rodder mechanic that, unless you want to get outrun.
    Guilty as charged! Ready for you next challenge?
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525

MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    District 13 Director 2011- present
    IMPBA National Records Director 2009-2019
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

I kinda just want to be able to race oval again. I miss you guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post

Seriously, if you don't like it, don't run it, but stop crapping on everyone else who does.
    If this was directed at me you can save it. I haven't crapped on anyone! Don't like my opinions, like the dimension rule sucks, "Limited is gone"?( At least until the limit is found) The ignore feature works pretty good, put me on it.
    As far as the classes go, It was fun while it lasted. We had a good run. 4 down, moving on to bigger, better things.

Later fellas!

PS Don I've watched your progress the last few years. It's pretty incredible what you have accomplished and still haven't seen whatever "so much" is.
    I see a 100mph "P-Limited" Hydro in Huff Racing's future. Hope I'm there to see it!
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Smock View Post
    If this was directed at me you can save it. I haven't crapped on anyone! Don't like my opinions, like the dimension rule sucks, "Limited is gone"?( At least until the limit is found) The ignore feature works pretty good, put me on it.
    Only Wilmer puts people on the blocked list. I'm more game to tell you what I think directly.

And, it wasn't directed at you, specifically... So...

This bitching, by the way, is coming from people who run huge P and Q-Monos and such running $500+ ESC and $300.00 motors... So in relation to that, P-LTD is definitely "limited"...

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    Only Wilmer puts people on the blocked list. I'm more game to tell you what I think directly.

And, it wasn't directed at you, specifically... So...

This bitching, by the way, is coming from people who run huge P and Q-Monos and such running $500+ ESC and $300.00 motors... So in relation to that, P-LTD is definitely "limited"...
    LOL and I know that about you Darin. It wasn't directed at me specifically so ok, my sincere apologies if owed. I can't argue your last point at all... Damn it!
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Smock View Post

I see a 100mph "P-Limited" Hydro in Huff Racing's future. Hope I'm there to see it!
    I would like to see that too!
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525

Quote Originally Posted by RaceMechaniX View Post
    Should be doable. Brian was pushing a 1/10th scale well into the 70s with a 1500KV Dynamite motor.

Pushing a purpose built Hydro shouldn't be an issue.

"Ummm... Don... there IS only so much power you're going to get out of a motor of that size. You're finding that limit, but that doesn't make the statement any less true."

Darin, I find it hard to believe that you said that. I know that I shouldn't be surprised, because this is the way that the majority of people tend to think. Even a lot of good hot rodders who are accomplished at other aspects of modifying things, to go fast. When it comes to the motor/engine, it's like they are wearing blinders and can only see one way.

That last word in the quote above is so misleading. Truth is so relative and easily manipulated , based mostly upon your current knowledge of the particular subject. I would rather have wisdom of the subject before I set limits and say never,can't, won't, impossible.

I'm doing so well with these motors mostly because I have no formal education or background dealing with them. I just tore open a couple hundred of them and learned on my on. So I have no preconceived ideas about how much power I CAN get out of a can that size. And lucky for me, I almost never really ever listen much to the nay sayers nor the experts, that way I'm not hindered buy the limits that they think exist.

So Darin, how many Watts DO you think a 37x60 motor, can deliver? What "IS" that limit? Give me a target.

If I had the means to accomplish some of my ideas, I'm pretty sure that I could get the USS Missouri up to 40 knots.........with a 37x60 !

Quote Originally Posted by RaceMechaniX View Post
    Tyler, we need to talk. Not so much about a SAW attempt, I'm working on that already. But more about a Raptor and a 2lap. I hear you have the boat, and I gots the UNOBTANIUM, so we need to get together.

So Darin, how many Watts DO you think a 37x60 motor, can deliver? What "IS" that limit? Give me a target.
    Not going to get into a back and forth with you, Don. I need to keep you on my good side in case I decide to get back into racing and want the "motor of the month"...

That said, there is a limit. It's just a fact. You keep working at it and YOU tell US what it is.

I'd do it myself, but honestly, I've gotten burned out on a lot of this, and don't really have anything I feel I need to prove at this point. There is ALWAYS someone who will go faster. Maybe that's you?

There is absolutely a finite limit to how many watts a physical size will be able to produce. That's why, when it's reached, people go to 40mm cans...

Tyler, we need to talk. Not so much about a SAW attempt, I'm working on that already. But more about a Raptor and a 2lap. I hear you have the boat, and I gots the UNOBTANIUM, so we need to get together.
    Yes, I have that boat from Brian which ran 139mph and holds both the IMPBA and NAMBA 1/3 mile 2-lap records. It's the same boat which is almost more impressive.

If you want a stretch target, I calculated a 36x60 motor could produce 5400W for about 20 seconds on 4S.
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525

20 seconds? I think that would be very hard to do!

Sounds like a nay sayer to me...
    MODEL BOAT RACER
    IMPBA President
    IMPBA 19887L CD
    NAMBA 1169

Well if you have Martin drive maybe it's only 16-17 seconds.
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525

I didn't word my response correctly.

Is 20 seconds doable, yes I think so.

Getting a 37x60 to put out 5400 watts for 20 seconds......... That's what will be hard to do!

But it won't take anywhere near that much power. Presently a stock AQ has it at 22.5 seconds. The AQ is rated at like 720 watts, so I think that 3000 watts "should" be able to reach sub 20 seconds, and that IS doable for a 20 second duration....I think.

Well if you have Martin drive maybe it's only 16-17 seconds.

He does tend to take the shortest path around the course!

Quote Originally Posted by photohoward1 View Post
    I kinda just want to be able to race oval again. I miss you guys.
    We're racing Sunday Howard. You're more than welcome to come play with us.
    Noisy person

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast