Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CFK Special Edition Micro Offshore Catamaran

I epoxy in sleeves for stuffing tubes all the time in single motor cats. Works out great.

As for that wire, all of your friction loss savings on the tube side is wasted with the increased pressure the propshaft will be under, pressed against the bottom bearing surface. I tried to run wires in several boats originally setup for cables, and it was always one failure after another.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Thank you @fweasel I will glue the sleeve in and keep moving forward and make the switch to cable when I can get all the parts here. Work is getting in the way of toy boat building and I still need to find a body of water long and smooth enough to run this little boat so in reality with winter coming here in Idaho it could be next spring before this boat see's water so I will have time.

I glued the sleeve in and fitted a stuffing tube so I’ll have the option to run cable, I should have the rest of the cable parts here in a couple weeks.

Titanium sleeve has 5mm bore so I can use standard bearing if I run wire drive.
    t1.jpgt2.jpg

I was able to make a few parts to test the cable but I have never set one up and have a few questions.
    How much space (clearance) should I have at each end? The cable is .098 and most of the info I’ve read they are talking about the larger cable and I‘m not sure how to scale that information.

Thank you!
    sp1.jpgsp2.jpg

Mounted a few more parts to get an idea of final weight. 950 grams with the 4s battery, I still have a few small parts to add but after I remove the 70mm of battery wire I’m hopeful I can keep it under 1000 grams.
    h1.jpg

I'd leave quite a big gap, maybe 5mm. 0.098 flex is unusually small for that size motor, I use 1.2mm wire or .098 fles for up to 28x36 motors and 1.5mm wire or .130 flex for a motor of your size, if it survives it will experience a lot of shrinkage due to wind up.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Quote Originally Posted by NativePaul View Post
    1.5mm wire or .130 flex for a motor of your size, if it survives it will experience a lot of shrinkage due to wind up.
    Thank you Paul, nobody likes "shrinkage" so I'll get some .130 flex ordered.
    Anything else you see I should change?

The motor needs a cooling jacket, but other than that I would be splitting hairs to say anything else.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12