Thread: Carbon inlay hatch tips

Default Carbon inlay hatch tips

Preparing for strengthening the glass hatch on my zonda with carbon/epoxy. Any tips? Thank you.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

You'll drive yourself nuts trying to get the inlay to lay flat in the canopy's air intake bump-out and not pull and ripple along the sides as a result. My advice is to fill that area in first with a lightweight filler, and concentrate your inlay efforts on the main canopy and hatch surfaces. Cut your main piece of cloth a good 2" wider on all four sides. You can trim it off with a sharp razor blade once the resin has begun to cure. I usually do that after 2-3hrs. Remove the knurled screw/bolt and put tape over the outside to keep epoxy from leaking through. Sand and vacuum the entire surface, then wipe down with acetone. You're going to have the hardest time with the vertical lip around the perimeter of the hatch and getting the cloth to stay stuck. I use a handheld roller with a narrow teflon wheel (blue handle in the picture I attached) to force the cloth down into that contour continuously as the resin begins to get tacky, and then again in the early stages of setting up.

2019-01-12 14.53.08.jpg IMG_20200201_125040.jpg IMG_20200201_125045.jpg IMG_20200201_134054.jpg IMG_20200201_185927.jpg
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Default Carbon inlay hatch tips

Great stuff! That?s quite a wealth of chemicals Thanks. Not so easy to see if the epoxy is wet enough? I just go and try. One layer is sufficient? And do you apply a finish coating or blank paint?

Last edited by ArnoudRC; 03-21-2021 at 04:10 AM.

I wet down the surface of the canopy first with resin and a brush, then lay the carbon fiber cloth down and begin pressing it into place with a foam roller. As you press it into place, the resin will seep through all of the fibers, and the foam roller will continue to redistribute the resin. Add more resin as needed, but sparingly. You don't want it pooled up or too wet. Once I'm happy with how things are laid down, I'll switch to a new dry foam roller, and go over the surface again to soak up any excess resin, wiping it off with an acetone soaked rag when necessary. When cured, you're aiming for a matte or satin finish, not glossy. You can also continue to work the surface and corners as the resin beings to set, before it's cured. I've even gone back after several hours and wiped the surface down with a sponge and acetone to play with final finish appearance, or if too much resin pooled up in a low spot for example.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Thank you for the tips

Nice work
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Looks amazing! Where do you order that piece of carbon fiber?

Just at my local ?boat and epoxy? webshop.

Can anyone tell me what length the prop stub is on the zonda.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    You'll drive yourself nuts trying to get the inlay to lay flat in the canopy's air intake bump-out and not pull and ripple along the sides as a result. My advice is to fill that area in first with a lightweight filler, and concentrate your inlay efforts on the main canopy and hatch surfaces. Cut your main piece of cloth a good 2" wider on all four sides. You can trim it off with a sharp razor blade once the resin has begun to cure. I usually do that after 2-3hrs. Remove the knurled screw/bolt and put tape over the outside to keep epoxy from leaking through. Sand and vacuum the entire surface, then wipe down with acetone. You're going to have the hardest time with the vertical lip around the perimeter of the hatch and getting the cloth to stay stuck. I use a handheld roller with a narrow teflon wheel (blue handle in the picture I attached) to force the cloth down into that contour continuously as the resin begins to get tacky, and then again in the early stages of setting up.

2019-01-12 14.53.08.jpg IMG_20200201_125040.jpg IMG_20200201_125045.jpg IMG_20200201_134054.jpg IMG_20200201_185927.jpg
    Fweasel, where did you get the teflon rollers? I'm doing some carbonfiber inlay and that tool would be perfect for my boat.

Thanks,
    Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Fweasel, where did you get the teflon rollers? I'm doing some carbonfiber inlay and that tool would be perfect for my boat.

Thanks,
    Rich
    I don't remember, but most of the places that sell the raw composite inlay materials will also sell the handheld rollers and scissors. You'll probably find them on Amazon and eBay too.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    I don't remember, but most of the places that sell the raw composite inlay materials will also sell the handheld rollers and scissors. You'll probably find them on Amazon and eBay too.
    Thanks! I'll have to do some digging around then.