Thread: What is up with the Traxxas 2080 servo

Default What is up with the Traxxas 2080 servo

Hi All:

About 10 years ago I built a Stevens aero pondflyer 21 inch airboat, installed a Traxxas 2080 waterproof servo. 9 1/2 years later, after heavy abuse the servo gave up the ghost. I replaced it with another 2080, lasted 8 minutes, went up in smoke. I had to wait a month for the LHS to settle the warranty claim. They replaced the 2080 and while out running the airboat in the snow yesterday the nylon gears stripped out, four months after receiving the most recent servo. Has anyone had similar issues with the 2080 as it is an expensive servo.

Regards,
    Andris Golts

Cool

My experience with Traxxas servos has been spotty although others have better luck. The second servo could be faulty, Traxxas quality could have slipped over the past 9+ years. Do the rudder and pushrod move smoothly? Years of heavy abuse could have bent something. The 2080 is a microservo so is pretty delicate. Bashing around on the snow can result in hitting the rudder on hardpack and bending something or breaking the gears. Maybe a more robust replacement servo is in order.
    ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Thanks for the reply Fluid i just found out there is a metal gear up grade for the 2080. Regards Andris Golts.