Thread: Possible Pursuit jet boat mod

Default Possible Pursuit jet boat mod

I have been out of fast electric for several years but with advancing age I want to keep my brain busy. Has a jet thruster install been carried out on a Pursuit hull please? I saw an aluminium jet thruster drive with 35mm prop/impeller and thought with a little work a Pursuit hull could be modified to fit it. Basically, the aft lower vee section of the hull would be removed sufficiently to install a flat section to fit the thruster body giving an area large enough to fit the external protective pickup plate.

After the section was removed from the hull an external plate would be temporarily sealed to the bottom of the hull and carbon fibre laid up inside to replace the cutout section plus additional carbon fibre added to reinforce the hull and transom. Having a flat section towards the rear of the hull would of cause impact the handling of the hull. How detrimental it would be is the question.

My son has a spare basic hull (pre the skull sticker era) and it would be a good start for such a project. I was thinking a 4084 motor with 150 - 180v amp esc running 6s (probably 2 x 3s located either side of the hull beside the thruster unit. What would be a suitable kv please running 6s? The manufacturer recommends a kv around 1900 - 2000 but I am thinking this may cause a large amp draw. At present just a design exercise but I am giving it some serious thought. Any help appreciated.

I found this old thread which is basically what I was thinking of doing. Pity the project seemed to stall. The 35 mm aluminium drive I would like may possibly be too tall at 58mm high but I am hoping it will fit. The TFL 29mm drive is 55 mm tall so I am still crossing my fingers the 35mm will fit the Pursuit hull.

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com...Jet-Boat-build

Why ruin a pursuit hull? Sell it and get a hull designed for jet units. There were some being made in Oz. RC Boat Bitz did stock some and they were on E Bay.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

Peter,
    I agree but it is what is available to me. The pursuit hull could be sold on to put towards a dedicated jetboat hull. I have seen a few available. I know the Pursuit would be a compromise. I suppose it is more the engineering side of the conversion that would interest me rather than the practicality. Thankyou for your input.