Thread: P limited cat speeds?

Default P limited cat speeds?

What is a good top speed to be competative in P limited cat? It would be great to here some RPM ranges that you guys are running and with what motor are you getting them?

I think 45-50mph will cover competition most anywhere. RPM depends on the kv and prop and can vary. I try to find the prop the boat likes then adjust KV. 3660 motors are not much more than a good prop. We lowered the P/L cat 2 lap record last weekend with a Leopard 3660 that Don Huff (Ampdaddy) rewound to 1980kv.in the 23-24K range.I believe in testing we saw about 53mph with the boat.

Mic Halbrehder
    IMPBA 8656
    NAMBA 1414

Thanks I?m currently getting mid 40s best was 48 but I?m only running about 22000 RPM on a 2000kv motor that seems plenty here in the villages but I?m returning to the Midwest this week and plan to run some races there and I didn?t have a clue what clubs were running outside the villages sounds like I have more work to do but I shouldn?t get totally smoked where I?m at now

I don't know my speed but my P-limited cat goes like stink with the good Proboat 1500kv motor and a Buass worked ABC 3 blade. I think it's a 1914 17* rake 3 blade.

I haven't run it since summer of 2019 in MIchigan. They were impressed with the speed but I had some handling issues, prop wasn't angle down enough, batts too forward.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by HTVboats View Post
    I think 45-50mph will cover competition most anywhere. RPM depends on the kv and prop and can vary. I try to find the prop the boat likes then adjust KV. 3660 motors are not much more than a good prop. We lowered the P/L cat 2 lap record last weekend with a Leopard 3660 that Don Huff (Ampdaddy) rewound to 1980kv.in the 23-24K range.I believe in testing we saw about 53mph with the boat.
    Hi Mic. Congratulations. 14.8 x 1980 is 29304 calculated (no-load) RPM. Are you saying it is 23-24K due to loading? Is that an estimate, or, are you using a logging ESC?

Thanks, Ron
    Ron - The Villages, FL

https://castawaysboatworx.org/

Hey Ron,
    I did get data on my Castle and depending on the calibration that's all we were turning. I generally see 15-20 percent loss due to load. With smaller props you might not load as much and see more rpm.
    Mic

Mic Halbrehder
    IMPBA 8656
    NAMBA 1414