Thread: Prop for Kyosho Jetstream 888 VE

Default Prop for Kyosho Jetstream 888 VE

I have the latest JetStream 888VE version with Torx M4 4068/2000kv brushless setup and what appears to be a Kyosho-branded 120A Seaking ESC. Very nice setup out of the box that has been running great and 6s capable. However, the stock reinforced plastic props are not up to 6s power and get shredded almost immediately, so I've been limiting myself to 4s for the time being. I'm having trouble finding compatible metal props for an otherwise stock configuration. The shaft out of the stinger is 4mm in diameter. The stock prop is a 3-blade 40mm 1.4 pitch with a hub length of about 0.5". I have enough room to go up to about 0.75" hub length. I was hoping to find multiple options, 2 and 3 blade in the 40-44mm range to try out and experiment with but have turned up very little. This is the only option I have found so far, but the hub is actually too long and I had to grind it down to make it fit and ended up damaging it https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...tp-cnc-o40-4mm.

Wondering if anyone else out there has the same version/power system of this boat has already done some experimenting and would be willing to share a prop source for solutions that work.

Thanks in advance!

You might find it worth the effort to change the collet and flex shaft that has a 3/16 stub on it. I did this to my TFL Libero hydro for the very same reason. I had to drill out the strut ( not that big of a deal ) 4mm is only about .027 " under 3/16 and now I have 3 or 4 different props I can use depending if I run 4 or 5 S and water conditions. I found it well worth the trouble and expense as compared to messing with the 4mm stuff.

Thank you for the suggestion, Panchothedog. I have considered changing the flex shaft but I think it will be a little more work on the Jetstream than what it sounds like you had to contend with on the Libero. The stinger on the Jetstream is quite a piece of engineering that I can't simply bore out to accommodate a larger shaft. It's constructed with both a flange and a standard bearing supporting the shaft/stub in the driveline, so I would need to rebuild the stinger with different sized bearings compatible with whatever flex shaft I would change over to. Mechanically, a simple operation to swap the bearings out but probably time consuming to identify the right parts. Another option might be to replace the entire stinger assembly; with the downside of probable fiberglass work on the transom to make it work. Either of these approaches could also require changing out the stuffing tube to accommodate a larger flex shaft - even more time and effort. None of it is outside the realm of possibility, just more work and time than I was hoping to have to put into it.

I did some additional digging on the OSE store and found these prop adapters:
    https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...prod=ose-83400

Seems like a quick/simple/cheap concept to shim out a 4mm shaft and allow the use of 3/16" bored props. If anyone has tried this approach with 4mm to 3/16" or even other sizes, I would love to hear how good the results have been.
    Last edited by NoseHonker; 02-26-2021 at 02:00 PM.

I have used adapters that I made out of short pieces of copper tubing
    ( basically the same thing your looking at ) and they worked fine. In your first post it sounded like you had a problem with the threaded part of the stub shaft not being long enough to accept other props. I don't know your boat but if the drive part of the flex shaft is the same as the stub shaft
    4 mm ( on my liberal it was ) and you do bite the bullet and change the stinger to 3/16" there is no reason to tear out the stuffing tube. A very common size flex shaft is .150" with a 3 /16" stub shaft . 4mm being about
    .159" the . 150" flex will work like a champ in your stock stuffing tube if that is the case.