Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hospital Hop...how to stop it?

Been tried, too, in the way back (10-15 years ago). I ran a boat with in at the 2000 FE Nats - water slams removed by canard after 1 lap.

Andy
    Spektrum Development Team

Quote Originally Posted by Grimracer View Post
    Capt..

The buoys we use are made by Kershaw floatation in FL.

They are 12” foam spheres that one cuts in half. The great thing about these buoys is that they are firm but not hard. They lay flat on the water.. The boat does more glancing then hitting.. you have to hit them dead straight on to damage anything and truth is I have only ever broke a outrigger on one of these as they have a tendency to launch the boat…not grab it.. Any of this make since?

I have never seen this type of buoy at a FE race and I have always wondered why? Anybody help.. Maybe I am missing something?

Anywho…

ROCK ON

Grim

O yea.. one more thing.. the club paints the buoys.. the reason this is done as when struck it leaves a paint witness on the boat.. great info if needed for the CD.. Just make sure you clean it off before the next race..
    Those sound pretty cool! But I don't think my tug could drag them out and set them without them flipping over on the way. I may try a smaller one to test. We are not allowed to use row boats or swim (even if you wanted to) in the park ponds...so we use a RC tug. See this thread for tug pics.

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/...?t=6350&page=2

Not sure, but I've heard that rounding the bottom front of the rudder will produce some lift?

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Jordan View Post
    Mike,

That's so the bottom of the rudder doesn't become a planing surface, right??

I should have noted above... I almost ALWAYS start out with my struts... all of my struts (monos and Hydros) flat... then tune from there... Otherwise, you can end up fighting a self-induced problem... Plus, it puts all of the thrust pointing in the direction it needs to be pointed!!

oho.. nope-a-roni....

Now adding a radii to the lower leading edge..

Grim

Not sure I follow. See the attached drawing. Maybe I'm missing something here!

UL-1 rudder.jpg

oho.. nope-a-roni....

Now adding a radii to the lower leading edge..

Grim

Sailr,

If you read post 21 it stated round or sharpen the bottom of the rudder... your sharpen is indeed my radii.

ROCK ON

Grim

Well alrighty then! Thanks!

Sailr,

If you read post 21 it stated round or sharpen the bottom of the rudder... your sharpen is indeed my radii.

ROCK ON

Grim

Quote Originally Posted by grimracer View Post
    sailr,

if you read post 21 it stated round or sharpen the bottom of the rudder... Your sharpen is indeed my radii.

Rock on

grim
    why cant this guy ever answer a question in understandable english?

Racers.. if you need to, read post 21 and then those that follow.. let me know if you understand what we were talking about.

but for 6S

Round the bottom of the rudder is used to "remove lift"... (the bottom of the rudder being the lowest flat part of the rudder).. We round this so the boat will not try to ride on that area of the hardware.

Sailr was asking and a tic confused (I can understand that) about what we were talking about so we made the clarification.. rounding the bottom leading edge.. "this adds lift". We call that adding radii to the rudder and this is used to control prop depth in the corners.

Anything there you need clarification on let me know.

Grim

Turn fin!! all I have to say there.
    LMT
    LehnerMotorenTechnik.com

Sailr took the time to sketch up a diagram all it would have took to answer this clearly for everyone is saying sketch "a" or sketch "b" is what im talking about. That easy

I'm more amused at a 6-month old thread being resurrected.
    Don't get me started

you and me both Bill.. you and me both!

ROCK ON SOCAL ROCK AND ROLLER!

Grim

Quote Originally Posted by 6S HYDRO View Post
    why cant this guy ever answer a question in understandable english?
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Racers.. if you need to, read post 21 and then those that follow.. let me know if you understand what we were talking about.

but for 6S

Round the bottom of the rudder is used to "remove lift"... (the bottom of the rudder being the lowest flat part of the rudder).. We round this so the boat will not try to ride on that area of the hardware.

Sailr was asking and a tic confused (I can understand that) about what we were talking about so we made the clarification.. rounding the bottom leading edge.. "this adds lift". We call that adding radii to the rudder and this is used to control prop depth in the corners.

Anything there you need clarification on let me know.

Grim
    OK, you asked.

Please clarify why it is that every one of your answers needs an interpreter. I love my boat and this has nothing to do with that.

A simple yes or no (to the diagram by Sailr #1; #2) is the answer that almost every individual would recognize.

After 25 years in drag racing (OK, big boats... SORRY!) I still do not fully understand your answers. I would like to, but these answers are what I would expect from politicians.

If it has something to do with speed secrets (and I do understand that) then, just say that... or.. Just RTFQ and answer it!

It really is as simple as that.

Only then, will OLD posts die a natural death...

rock on drag boat bob

jeeze... If you guys only knew how much experience, how successful, how helpful, and NICE this guy you’re talking to is and has... I don't think you would treat him or anyone else like that.

Posting on technical discussions on a public forum like this is difficult. You can’t convey emotion, it’s tough to get your technical ideas into words, and you can’t talk to someone face to face.

Everyone take two steps back and take a deep breath. WE ALL are fighting the good fight!!!!

I respect and appreciate the contributions to the hobby by all involved in this forum to include Grim....but I also understand exactly the frustration with the seemingly non or roundabout answers to some of the questions here....been there a few times.

The answers may seem clear to those that post them...but it is (apparently) not so clear to some of us less experienced readers. I'm occasional guilty of losing my patience for the same reason and I apologize for that....but guys please try to keep things a little more clear and simple for us new to the hobby...it would help keep us from being turned off to the hobby.

Crash

This is why its hard for me to post on these things..

RC boat racing.. playing.. testing.. … is a tuners game.

If you are willing to take the time to learn tuning and setup its a VERY VERY rewarding hobby..

Maybe im old school but just barfing out info cuz people might not be willing to learn through testing doesn’t do it for me.. maybe just me!…. Give me the simple way out.. just tell me.. is the feeling the boards give.. maybe that’s what they are for.. maybe that’s all they are good for..

Maybe that’s an argument for me to stay off of these silly things...

I have had some very profound experiences testing down at the pond.. most I will never forget... its just hard to get them on the boards. I dig this hobby so much but have not made any buds on the forums (not totally true.. Topfuel443 is a SUPER GUY and I a very good bud.. met him on the forums).. I guess its just me..

ROCK ON and good luck to all!!!!!!!

Grim

I believe the hobby has had a resurgence because of the very helpful experienced boaters that share their experiences with the new guys. Everyone has to start somewhere. Those that are willing to share are truly the good guys of boating. When I started in the hobby 30 years ago, there was no such thing as these forums. You had to go to the races and try to learn what you could and hope you found at least one friendly guy.

Yes, it is often hard to get a point across because the new guy has no point of reference and unfortunately probably doesn't have a nearby club, etc. Any time you can add a photo or a drawing it helps!

Thanks Grim and to all the other good guys that help!!
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

If you are willing to take the time to learn tuning and setup its a VERY VERY rewarding hobby..

Maybe im old school but just barfing out info cuz people might not be willing to learn through testing doesn’t do it for me.. maybe just me!…. Give me the simple way out.. just tell me.. is the feeling the boards give.. maybe that’s what they are for.. maybe that’s all they are good for..

I have had some very profound experiences testing down at the pond.. most I will never forget... its just hard to get them on the boards. I dig this hobby so much but have not made any buds on the forums (not totally true.. Topfuel443 is a SUPER GUY and I a very good bud.. met him on the forums).. I guess its just me..

Grim
    First straight answer I've seen so far, even though it's amidst some chaff. Too bad it took so long to hear (see) it.

This was NEVER about you (Grim) personally; just the manner in which you answer questions. Thank you, I am now clear.

There are so many here on the forum that have been eager to share information, even to the extent of multiple posts, that I may have mistakenly placed you in that category.

I believe you have designed a very fun boat and I thank you for that.

Bob

Hey Bob, where in CA are you ? Near L.A. ?; we run at Legg Lake in S. El Monte;
    lots of boats there & we need more FE. Know Steve Sharp? A good friend of mine.

Tony Heller
    SoCal Fast Electrics
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Quote Originally Posted by properchopper View Post
    Hey Bob, where in CA are you ? Near L.A. ?; we run at Legg Lake in S. El Monte;
    lots of boats there & we need more FE. Know Steve Sharp? A good friend of mine.

Tony Heller
    SoCal Fast Electrics
    Tony,
    Will send a PM. I'm about 200+ miles north on the coast.

Not sure I am qualified to miss other boats in a heat quite yet (vision is not what it once was). I can try to stay on the outside however.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Drag Boat Bob View Post

Not sure I am qualified to miss other boats in a heat quite yet (vision is not what it once was). I can try to stay on the outside however.
    Bob
    I hear 'Ya Bro ! My vision sucks & my mental focus is worse ! One of the funniest
    [ stupidest?] things I did at the Nat's last year was to space out at the start of a P-Mono heat & "forgot" to turn at the first buoy
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Quote Originally Posted by Drag Boat Bob View Post
    Tony,
    Will send a PM. I'm about 200+ miles north on the coast.

Bob
    Mailbox full?

Now cleaned out; re-post.

Here is an interesting patent from the 70's referring to a sponson vent. Apparently, pressure is able to vent out the sides of the sponsons with a small recess on each side. I've seen this on full size hulls at hydro races and people claim it works well to eliminate the sponson dance (side to side). Not sure how it will help us at scale speeds of 400mph or so??

Application Number:05/558151
    Publication Date:07/06/1976 Filing Date:03/13/1975

SUMMARY OF THE INVENTION
    This invention relates to a four-point tunnel hull for a boat.

It is common practice to so shape the bottoms of boats so that two longitudinally extending, downwardly projecting, laterally-spaced sponsons define therebetween a longitudinal channel extending from the bow to the stern of the boat and frequently are referred to as a "tunnel".

In such boats pressure builds up in the tunnel between the two sponsons, which can be released only at the stern of the boat. At high speeds, because of this pressure build-up, there is a tendency for the boat to ride up on the column of air pressure and then to fall off to either side, causing a "dig-in", "spin-out" or pass and flip backward.

In my novel hull a step is provided in each sponson intermediate the bow and stern. A portion of the pressure is relieved at these steps, so as to avoid the above dangers. The bottom of the front part of each sponson also lies at a sharper angle to the perpendicular than that of the rear part. The deep vee of the front part results in a smoother ride because of the improved entry into rough water. The flatter rear sponsons assist in carrying heavier loads under more stable conditions.

Step or Vent?

Not the same from what I know.. I read both in that post.

Grim

If you will look at most of the cat hulls, they are made that way.
    Mini Cat Racing USA
    www.minicatracingusa.com

Grim
    I think it has less to do with people looking for a lazy, easy answer and more to do with people not wanting to ruin a $20 rudder.
    Steven Vaccaro

Where Racing on a Budget is a Reality!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast