Thread: Soldering 6.5mm connectors Swordfish 300amp esc 10ga wires to smaller TP4060 wires

Default Soldering 6.5mm connectors Swordfish 300amp esc 10ga wires to smaller TP4060 wires

I?m installing a TP4060 along with a Swordfish 300amp esc. This maybe a silly question, but the esc wires going to the motor are 10ga while the 3 TP4060 wires are about ? this size. The 6.5mm bullet connectors fit?s the esc wires but with the 3 motor wires being so much smaller, is it still safe to solder the 6.5mm connectors to this smaller wire? It just doesn?t look right is the reason for the question.
    Thank you in advance for your help on this topic...

The size of the wire leads on a motor, is determined by the wind of that motor. It's shocking to see the difference between the leads diameter on a 10Y, and a 2 D, of the same brand/ size motor. The Y will have very small leads, and the D will have huge ones. That's just how it works.

Don't worry about it though, it has nothing to do with how the motor works.

Do note it is bad to have too large of a gap between the wire and the solder cup on the back of the connector. If the motor wire is loose inside the socket before soldering considering taking some thin solid copper "hook up" wire and wrap this around the motor magnet wire to build up the diameter so the wire fits snug into the socket.

Here is how I build up the diameter to have a snug fit on a Delta bus bar for a Lehner. The same goes for normal lead wire connections.
    IMG_1215.jpg
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525
    T-Hydro @ 142.94mph former WR

Quote Originally Posted by RaceMechaniX View Post
    Do note it is bad to have too large of a gap between the wire and the solder cup on the back of the connector. If the motor wire is loose inside the socket before soldering considering taking some thin solid copper "hook up" wire and wrap this around the motor magnet wire to build up the diameter so the wire fits snug into the socket.

Here is how I build up the diameter to have a snug fit on a Delta bus bar for a Lehner. The same goes for normal lead wire connections.
    IMG_1215.jpg
    Tyler, do you have any male bullet connectors that go into them Delta bus bars I have one busted. I could use 3 if you do.

Great idea and thank you for the advice...

Quote Originally Posted by meangenesracing View Post
    Tyler, do you have any male bullet connectors that go into them Delta bus bars I have one busted. I could use 3 if you do.
    I'm going to use that do you tin them 1st ? Tyler you must have a hell of a iron thanks

Be aware, if you cut the wires on a TP motor, the individual strands are coated and cannot be soldiered without first removing that coating. You can do it with some aggressive chemical options, or, fan out the individual strands and hit them from multiple angles on a bench grinder wire wheel until shiny.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by dasboata View Post
    I'm going to use that do you tin them 1st ? Tyler you must have a hell of a iron thanks
    Yes Chris, I use a 80W iron for small connectors, a 200W chisel tip for big connectors and a 200W solder pot for tinning the end of wires.
    The 200W iron is the key piece of equipment.
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525

Quote Originally Posted by meangenesracing View Post
    Genio, so I am clear you need 3x 6mm male LMT bullets?
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525

Genio, so I am clear you need 3x 6mm male LMT bullets?
    Tyler, correct

Yes Chris, I use a 80W iron for small connectors, a 200W chisel tip for big connectors and a 200W solder pot for tinning the end of wires.
    The 200W iron is the key piece of equipment.
    Have you got a suggestion on brand, model, and source? Thanks
    Ron - The Villages, FL

https://castawaysboatworx.org/

In the same vein as this thread , 200a ztw esc , tp 4060 1760 kv 2 6s batterys parallel. I have 8mm bullets on batts and motor 5.5 bullets esc to motor. I thought all were soldered well ran the boat 4 laps and lift off . Retrieved the boat cowl came off all parts motor etc. stayed in place but all 3 esc to motor wires are disconnected and the 5.5 mm bullets are gone Do i need to stay with 8s all the way through , could the 5.5s get hot on unsolder themself. Baffeled.

Quote Originally Posted by mpshay22 View Post
    In the same vein as this thread , 200a ztw esc , tp 4060 1760 kv 2 6s batterys parallel. I have 8mm bullets on batts and motor 5.5 bullets esc to motor. I thought all were soldered well ran the boat 4 laps and lift off . Retrieved the boat cowl came off all parts motor etc. stayed in place but all 3 esc to motor wires are disconnected and the 5.5 mm bullets are gone Do i need to stay with 8s all the way through , could the 5.5s get hot on unsolder themself. Baffeled.
    Could be poor quality bullets, high resistance tin solder, cold solder joint, or a combination of all three plus high current draw (don't really know anything about your setup). Personally, the Castle 6.5mm bullets are the smallest connector I'd install on the motor wire of a 6S build. I use their 8mm connectors on my high current draw installs.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    Could be poor quality bullets, high resistance tin solder, cold solder joint, or a combination of all three plus high current draw (don't really know anything about your setup). Personally, the Castle 6.5mm bullets are the smallest connector I'd install on the motor wire of a 6S build. I use their 8mm connectors on my high current draw installs.
    Thanks wfeasel. Ill resolder with 8mm and see what happens.