Thread: Hydroplane Hull from Modelshipsahoy - is it worth my time to make it run?

Question Hydroplane Hull from Modelshipsahoy - is it worth my time to make it run?

Boat.jpg
    Hi.

I need an opinion from some folks that have built and run a model hydroplane

I purchased hydroplane hull off ebay - this outfit called 'modelshipsahoy.com which' sells all types of unlimited fiberglass models with pretty pictures of the actual boats. The model is another story. It came broken because of bad packaging and inquires about how to put it together are non responsive. I wish I?d never bought it but I thought well ?what the heck? I?ll try to make it run. The hull is 36? and 18? at the sponsons.

I have bought an electric motor, rudder and motor mount I don?t know how exacting this mounting has to be. I?m not going to race it or anything like that ? I?m sure it would come in dead last because of the design. Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone had put one of these together?

Am I wasting my time putting too much money in running gear on this thing and just make a static model and buy some other hull or build a kit? Any opinions? I put a photo of ?as far as I?ve got? above.

Andy
    Attached Images Attached Images

The hulls sold on that site appear to be splashes of someone else’s existing models. It isn’t clear if the “Blue Blaster” would be legal to race (if you even wanted to). I have no way of knowing if the model will run right or not, I’m not impressed by some of the ‘glass work I see in the photos. I’m not going to tell you to forget about getting it running just yet. Are you experienced/comfortable using fiberglass and epoxy to join the hull halves? That can be a real challenge on this hull type.

If the hull is a decent design, it will require a specific motor type, pack and ESC to run well. Let us know exactly what parts you have and we can give additional guidance.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

I saw that hull on Ebay. Keep us posted.
    Nortavlag Bulc

I think I can join the top and bottom without too much of an issue - I've built a jig to insure there is no twist in the bottom. I've decided to go ahead and try to finish this. I've purchased a motor, rudder, motor mount and strut from osc (Of course).

Since I'm not going to race this boat.....do you still need a sponson fin (Skeg)? If so, any recommendations? This boat is 36" long and 18" wide at the sponsons.

Thanks

If you want to turn properly than I would put a turn fin on.
    Nortavlag Bulc

So.......I've looked on ose website ..3 turning fins made by Speed master. Seeing this hydroplane is 36" long and 18" wide at the sponsons....would the large size 3.00 Speedmaster mono work for this boat? Andy

http://www.accu-techrchardware.com/turnfins.html Unfortunately I don't know what size. I do know that for your Hydro its not the 1/8 scale or Classic Thunderboat turn fins . They are to big. I think your Hydro is a 1/10 scale ?

These are the bees knees. Randy can help you determine size.
    https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com...nium-Turn-Fins
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet