Thread: R-42 12s prop selection + strut depth..

Default R-42 12s prop selection + strut depth..

-Sport boat
    -TP 5690 680kv (1300 grams)
    -Dinogy 65c 12s1p 10,000 maH
    -Seal 300a esc

I have 2016-2515 in the 17*45 series.

Recommendations on prop w/strut depth estimates would be much appreciated!

Thanks doodes!

Quote Originally Posted by jingalls007 View Post
    -Sport boat
    -TP 5690 680kv (1300 grams)
    -Dinogy 65c 12s1p 10,000 maH
    -Seal 300a esc

I have 2016-2515 in the 17*45 series.

Recommendations on prop w/strut depth estimates would be much appreciated!

Thanks doodes!
    Will that esc handle that boat on 12s? Most likely will be very heavy. I would like to know how that works out for you when you run it as I also am building a FE. R42

Cool

My R-42 was set up for 10S, but with its higher Kv motor rpm would be similar to yours. It ran best in race water with an ABC 2415 or x462, more pitch gave higher speeds but it was seldom needed where I raced. You may want to try a slightly smaller prop with your setup just to start, that motor should pull a 2515 or more pitch depending on run time.

Mine was built light, just 17.5 pounds ready to race. The CG was at 14.5? ahead of the transom with the bottom of the strut around 1/2? above the sponson bottom and flat.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by meangenesracing View Post
    Will that esc handle that boat on 12s? Most likely will be very heavy. I would like to know how that works out for you when you run it as I also am building a FE. R42
    Ive been running this boat for months with the above setup with 0 issues on the controller. I’m fine tuning it now trying to loosen it up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    My R-42 was set up for 10S, but with its higher Kv motor rpm would be similar to yours. It ran best in race water with an ABC 2415 or x462, more pitch gave higher speeds but it was seldom needed where I raced. You may want to try a slightly smaller prop with your setup just to start, that motor should pull a 2515 or more pitch depending on run time.

Mine was built light, just 17.5 pounds ready to race. The CG was at 14.5? ahead of the transom with the bottom of the strut around 1/2? above the sponson bottom and flat.
    Just what I needed, thanks Jay!

I have seen a rise in 12s boats recently. Just to let you know that the NAMBA limit
    for electric classes is 10s. I realize that you may just be enjoying sport and just for fun
    setups, but I doubt in case of an accident that your NAMBA insurance would still be in effect.

This issued has been discussed in our District 3 this past year. It would be great to have someone else
    chime in here especially if I am mistaken. Both NAMBA and IMPBA may have the same concern.
    TenShock Brushless / Pro Marine
    NEU Motors / Rico Racing/ Castle Creations
    2023 NAMBA & 2018 IMPBA FE High Points "National Champion"

You are correct; 10s is the limit, 12s isn?t insured under either organization.

Great Hull but if I can give you some advices: I have built 4 R-42... 3 FE and One gas. The FE boats have had various set-ups and motors. All with about 600-700KV Motors.
    All capable of 70 plus in race set-up. 10s-8000 to 10000 MAH. I like to run my FE set-ups similar to gas. Big props. 470 to 474.....BIG ADVICE HERE....IF YOU STUFF IT AT 70 IT WILL NOT BE A GOOD DAY. Strengthen the hatch and the seam best you can. Great fun boat that handles fantastic. BTW I run my strut at about ? or more with the big props. Maybe even a ?".....Have fun. Keep it light.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post

With those changes, and the 2415, this boat is a rocket! I had cg set at 15.750 initially w/strut to deep. Thanks for the tips, Jay.

Quote Originally Posted by photohoward1 View Post
    Great Hull but if I can give you some advices: I have built 4 R-42... 3 FE and One gas. The FE boats have had various set-ups and motors. All with about 600-700KV Motors.
    All capable of 70 plus in race set-up. 10s-8000 to 10000 MAH. I like to run my FE set-ups similar to gas. Big props. 470 to 474.....BIG ADVICE HERE....IF YOU STUFF IT AT 70 IT WILL NOT BE A GOOD DAY. Strengthen the hatch and the seam best you can. Great fun boat that handles fantastic. BTW I run my strut at about ? or more with the big props. Maybe even a ?".....Have fun. Keep it light.
    I’ve reinforced the hatch and seems with 12k carbon so
    Hopefully that’ll help in the event of an accident.

I’m switching out the tp 5690 for a 5680 650kv to run 12s. What motors did you have success with?
    Thanks man!