Thread: Need help with new miss Geico 36!

Default Need help with new miss Geico 36!

I got this beast for Christmas from my awesome wife! I read that lubing the prop shaft is recommended so I lubed both up well and reassembled ready to run it. It was terrifyingly fast! I made a few passes and then it just stopped working and I thought I saw flames! When I retrieved it, it looked fine but when I pulled the hatch, there was smoke. Turns out, I didn?t tighten the collets down enough and it spun the shaft. I think I was mistaken about the flame.
    Once home, I re-lubed the shafts (making sure to keep the collet end dry) and tightened everything ready for round two.
    It ran incredibly...until it stopped in the middle of the pond.
    So here?s where I?m at: it seems to shut down completely when I pull the throttle fully. I swapped batteries, tried again and now only the left esc powers on but won?t establish connection with the transmitter.
    Did I blow up one of the escs or motors? Please help, I have no clue what to check.

Batteries: 2(3s traxxas lipos w/series connector)
    Details: Seems to have a small amount of water inside hull. (Not sure if that matters, just trying to provide info)
    Connectors: Traxxas to ec5.

The batteries could have just run down. At a low enough level most esc’s will cut out and give you limited power so you can bring it home.

If one esc burn look at the propeller (size) and the shft must be free to work easily.

Thank you jfryjfry and Alfa! After getting it home, I tried to charge the batteries to safe storage capacity and the charger wouldn?t pick them up. I tested to see if there was any voltage and the cheap trx adaptors I got off Amazon melted at the solder points. I?m on night shift so I won?t have a chance to verify, but given that all four connectors are toast, its a good possibility! I?ll confirm the issue when I get off in case anyone experiences the same problem. Thanks again, I appreciate the help!

I was melting my solder on leads on batteries using the included harness as well. It?s because you?re using too low of a c rating. I was doing it with 50c batteries so I can only imagine with the 25c traxxas. If you?re going to use 2x3s with the included harness use decent batteries and shoot for 100c or close to it.

That is not quite how that works. Higher C rating allows a higher current draw, your connections will still melt. Lower C will actually limit the current and heat at the connections.
    You have to go to a larger connector or lower prop size. These are not made for 10 min high speed runs.

Weird. With the lower c rating batteries my wires were hotter which made solder melt and then the only change I made was a higher c rated battery and it stopped. This happened 3 times in a row, then never again after the battery change. Same wire size, same ec5 connectors. And this has happened to 3-4 people that I?ve read about. Same thing fixed the connectors from coming unsoldered. Every scenario was with a stock setup on first runs.
    Last edited by Puffer4tw; 10-09-2021 at 02:26 AM.

Technically that makes no sense. C rating is a multiplier of how much current a battery can supply in high demand. 20C = 20times the listed mAh rating
    20*5000mAh = 100A; 50*5000=250A
    By all means, the C rating is a big marketing lie, in all cases, but that is a different story.

My guess, your higher rated batteries came with larger cables from the get go, that has a big impact on cable and connector temp. They might also use higher temp solder.
    C rating is just something people observe as the only difference and typically get it wrong as a result. Switching connectors is simpler and cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffer4tw View Post
    I was melting my solder on leads on batteries using the included harness as well. It?s because you?re using too low of a c rating. I was doing it with 50c batteries so I can only imagine with the 25c traxxas. If you?re going to use 2x3s with the included harness use decent batteries and shoot for 100c or close to it.
    From the Horizen website for the MG36
    Needed to Complete

(2) 2S-6S 50C Hardcase LiPo batteries with EC5™ connectors to power the ESC's (see "Tech Talk" video below for more details)
    (1) Appropriate LiPo battery charger
    (1) LiPo storage/charging protection bag
    (4) AA batteries for included transmitter

Guessing you have something else going on. I Remember guys having this issue with the Zelow Twin 36 . Unfortunately I can't remember the fix. Lucky I haven't had this issue with mine.

I?m just telling him what fixed my same issue and it was the same fix with a few others. The wires were 12g and ec5 connectors on every battery. The only reason I found out about it was when it happened to me back to back I researched it. What I?m telling him was someone else?s recommendation and they explained exactly why the lower c rating battery would cause more heat in wires. I didn?t understand it lol but I figured I?d atleast try and it worked. He also said that old or worn batteries could cause it also.

The only other person I saw having same issue, it was a bad ec5 connector. There was some corrosion or obstruction inside one female plug causing more resistance. Switched ec5 plug and never happened again

Quote Originally Posted by Puffer4tw View Post
    I?m just telling him what fixed my same issue and it was the same fix with a few others. The wires were 12g and ec5 connectors on every battery. The only reason I found out about it was when it happened to me back to back I researched it. What I?m telling him was someone else?s recommendation and they explained exactly why the lower c rating battery would cause more heat in wires. I didn?t understand it lol but I figured I?d atleast try and it worked. He also said that old or worn batteries could cause it also.

The only other person I saw having same issue, it was a bad ec5 connector. There was some corrosion or obstruction inside one female plug causing more resistance. Switched ec5 plug and never happened again
    No problem. It's good info. I picked up a MG 36 and this will be something for me to keep an eye on.