Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for someone to finish set up of my MHZ Mystic 114

Thanks for the info fweasel. I didn't know I could use standard threaded collets regardless of the direction the motor spins.
    It was supposedly shipped with a couple other items last week, so I'll just let it fly. Always something new to learn, especially for a first time build, and I greatly appreciate everyone's help/feedback.

In theory, it makes sense to use a reverse thread collet on one side of a twin build, but in actual practice, it's no needed and I find it a bit confusing while prepping the boat.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Its been awhile since I made any updates on my progress with the boat, so here is where I'm at. I have most of the electronics trial fitted in the boat. I have the ZTW Seal 200 amp ESC's trial mounted with all the necessary connectors installed by OSE. Still have to set up/calibrate the ESC's, but that will happen eventually. Not sure what timing I should apply for these motors. MHZ lists 5 to a maximum of 7.5 degrees timing. Maybe someone could point me in right direction? Also installed the steering servo and picked up a Traxxas waterproof box for my receiver. Still got to get the Y-harness to combine the ESC's, and will cut the red wire on one, so only one BEC is connected to the R/X. I plan on doing all my wiring and hoses in black cable sleeve to protect everything and to give a sharp/professional appearance.
    Only other part I'm trying to figure out now is how to wire/power the water pumps. Since I will be powering the receiver and steering servo with the ESC's built in BEC circuitry, I was planning on using the installed thru deck main power switch to turn the pumps on and off, and probably use a separate battery pack for the pumps power supply. Was going to y-harness the two pumps together and plug into the switch. Anyone have any other suggestions regarding wiring these, and if one 2S 6 volt pack would be sufficient to handle both pumps? I asked Steaven about plugging them directly into the receiver and run them off the BEC, but he didn't recommend doing that, as they'll probably pull too many amps on the ESC.
    But overall, looks to be coming together...

I don't know anything about those pumps specifically, but I would not run them off receiver/BEC power. Definately power them off their own small LiFe or Lipo battery.

Do NOT cut the red wire on one of your ESC's. Your reason for doing so is correct, but you'll thank me later when you need to power up your receiver with just the one ESC (during calibration) and need that wire connected. Use a small micro jewelers screwdriver to de-pin the red wire from the black plug, then heat shrink it out of the way to the rest of the wire bundle. Then, when you need it, you can slip it back into the plug temporarily.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Thanks for the heads up Fweasel regarding cutting the wire. What I'm planning on doing is to first calibrate each ESC individually. And then after calibration, connect the two ESCs to the y-harness, and de-pin the red wire only on the y-harness to one of the ESCs. That way I'm not pulling out anything on the actual connector attached on the ESC.

I'll definately use a separate battery to power the pumps. Will have to change out the odd plugs that came on the pumps and install the JR connectors so I can plug them via y-harness into the power switch.

Its been awhile since I put an update on here regarding the progress on my model, so here is one at last. Got quite a bit done, and I am pretty impressed with how this project is turning out so far. Have the ESC's both mounted in place with heavy velcro and tied down securely with wire ties. The wiring connections to the motors are shored up, and I added some extra heat shrink tubing to the wires on the motors to protect them from chafe. The cooling system is now all wired and plumbed. The pumps will be ran with a 6.6 volt 3000mah LiFe receiver battery, and are wired into the thru deck power switch for turning the pumps on and off. I finished my water cooling lines in all black braided sleeve, which surely changes the overall appearance of the interior. Mainly all I need to do now is plug the channels into the receiver and secure it in place, calibrate the ESCs, and make a hole in the rear deck for an antenna mount. I'll also be installing finger-twist cowl locks to secure the hatch and add foam gasketing to give a good seal for the hatch. And then I need to see about props.

Sent my boat out last Tuesday to have the JBS Racing livery graphics package professionally installed, and I should have it back by Monday. Casey from Visual Graphics is doing an awesome job, and he has been keeping me updated with plenty of pics!

That's looking fantastic!

Thanks huhb! Can't wait to see it in person...And better yet, on the water!!!

Looks great!

Which props do you use? And what are your speeds with this setup

Going to start out with CNC 4814250 (2 blades) and CNC 4814351 (3 blades). Steven recommended these. Haven't had the boat out on water yet, but plan to get it out this spring for sure. Anxious to see how she runs!!

OK thanks

Happy 2022 to everyone!!! Been a long time since I've posted anything on this thread...So I thought I'd give an update, and I was also in a picture-taking mood last night! Its hard to believe its been just about a year since I started this endeavor...And although I was a bit skeptical of my building skills in the beginning, I think that overall, I'm pretty happy with how the boat has turned out for my first "build." Of course, the real determination of my success with this project won't be until she hits the lake for the first time. I would have had her done and on the water for last summer, but other activities got in the way, and also I wasn't around home much to work on finishing the boat up. But I will get the boat wet this spring!
    In the mean time, all really left to do is calibrate ESCs, finish receiver connections/wiring, add foam floatation, test the water cooing system, and finally test spool up/direction of those mighty Scorpions!

Exciting news! I spooled up the motors for the first time last night. Safety first, of course...I disengaged the flex cables from motors so no spinning props!!! Took me a few to figure out the throttle calibration, as at first I couldn't get the ESCs to arm, and the motor kept twitching and beeping loudly at me every second. But after doing a little research on the ZTWs on the forum, I found that what needed to be done was reverse the throttle channel. So I reversed the channel thru my transmitter, (and also double checked my trims were zeroed and throttle endpoints were 100%) and redid the calibration. The ESC armed perfectly with the correct arming beeping sequence, and I could then spool up the motor. Did each ESC separately, and also adjusted a couple perameters using the program card, which I found was very easy and straight-forward to do. I then connected both ESCs back together with the y-adaptor and plugged everything back into my receiver. Powered everything up again, tested the throttle, and both motors spooled up perfectly and both in sync. Just had to change motor directions, which I did thru the program card.
    I brought home from my work the other day some nice black foam parts to cut up sections for floatation, and I filled the bow with snug-fitting blocks. Interior looks really slick with everything in black. Will probably also add some floatation back in the stern area as well. I also ordered 1" all black furniture-grade PVC pipe and joints to build a nice display/work stand for the boat. Should have those materials later next week. So all in all, things are shaping up!

Spring has sprung here in Northeast Ohio...Well only for the weekend at least, as rain/snow and cooler temps return on Monday But, the pleasant and brief reprieve made it perfect to get outside to take some pictures of the model in the bright sunshine! Boat is now pretty much complete and ready for water testing.

Verrrry nice!! Looking forward to some spring springing here in Denver..
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Thanks for the compliments Jesse! Been a long winter for sure, and spring can't come fast enough. Hoping we all will have a nice, long RC boating season...

Pretty much about there! I installed 1/8" foam anti-ivibration padding to the CF battery trays, and changed out the stock velcro straps to something a little more user-friendly. Much easier to install those big 6 cell Revo lipos!!!! Batteries are nice and secure and padded. Float test and water cooling test to be done very soon!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast