Thread: effective cooling?

Default effective cooling?

I run a Sonicwake with a dual rudder pickup and have been wondering if the cooling runs low on water pressure when the rudder is used during a turn. Wouldn't there be negative pressure on the side of the rudder without the holes? Or I am completely over thinking this concept!
    What I'm trying to figure out is...what is the most effective, not efficient, way to use water for cooling? Rudder/hull pickup/exterior pickup...

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by OrganizedKahus View Post
    I run a Sonicwake with a dual rudder pickup and have been wondering if the cooling runs low on water pressure when the rudder is used during a turn. Wouldn't there be negative pressure on the side of the rudder without the holes? Or I am completely over thinking this concept!
    What I'm trying to figure out is...what is the most effective, not efficient, way to use water for cooling? Rudder/hull pickup/exterior pickup...

thanks!
    Have you visited our the dual pickup rudder sold by RC Boat Bitz? In a way, you could call it a dual-dual pickup. Each side has two holes, with one hole on each side leading to one water outlet, and the other holes on each side leading to the other water outlet. This way, water pressure is always equal, whether going straight, right, or left.

Speaking of the holes on the 'typical' dual pickup rudder being only on one (starboard, correct?) if the rudder, while I'm just starting to get into racing, if I were to make an assumption, I'd guess that it's because the great majority of that racing only involves right turns...no left turns.

~ More peace, love, and kindness would make the world a much better place

The OP is over-thinking this. Thousands of boaters have gotten by just fine for decades with standard rudder pickups. As long as the holes are clear they work fine. I’ve used hull bottom pickups too, and they work well.....as long as that part of the hull is always in the water. The rudder is “always” in the water, if not then you’ve got other problems.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

I agree with Fluid. The engineer in me wants to worry about negative pressure on one side of the blade while turning, but the hobbyist in me with not enough free time knows it doesn't really matter in practical application.

For the boats I build, I most often use through hull pick-ups on the cats because they stay in contact with the water at those locations more reliably and make for a cleaner appearance. On the V-bottom hulls, I prefer the rudder pick-up location because I feel its a more consistent source of water. There are more often larger issues with a poorly performing cooling system than where the water comes from... like over aggressive electronics, excessive plumbing, and not enough volume of water.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)