Thread: Motor Alignment

Default Motor Alignment

Is there a secret to aligning the motor with the flex tube / shaft?

Hello and Welcome to OSE.

A good suggestion is to mount a dowel pin or drill bit in your motor collect and use this as an alignment tool to center the motor and stuffing tube. Ideally you would additional tubes to as reducer bushings to take up the slack normally allowed for the gap between the flex shaft and stuffing tube. After the stuffing tube is glassed in and motor secured remove the extra bushings and dowel and you should be decently aligned. If you are using 1/4 flex some companies offer a stepped alignment rod which has a 1/4 diameter to go into the collet and a 11/32 or 5/16 diameter end to go into the stuffing tube. I have not seen any for 3/16 shafts.

-Tyler
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525
    T-Hydro @ 142.94mph former WR

Tyler, that makes perfect sense. Thanks a bunch!!

Drill bits work really well and are my go to, but in some tight instances where a bend in the stuffing tube won't allow a longer drill bit, I've used concentric lengths of smaller diameter brass tube to basically achieve the same rigid alignment result.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Fweasel - Thanks that will help too.

One more question, am I better off running a Teflon liner, or using smaller dia brass to get down to my 3/16 shaft?

This might sound stupid or dumb! When i put a stuffing tube in place, i allow 5mm to the right when looking from the rear. This allows for torque roll. Now when placing m/mount with motor, the rear end will be 5mm to the left to insure alignment will be very close. When i shove the cable in, it should clink in coupler with ease. I use liner which will be a kind of tight fit or just snug in stuffing tube.