Thread: TFL Osprey thoughts

Default TFL Osprey thoughts

Anyone running a TFL Osprey 41? mono? It?s a boat I?ve been looking at recently and was wondering if anyone on here had any thoughts on it. If so let me know.
    Thanks
    Tim

I have one that will occasionally see the water. It's a nice big hull that looks impressive when out on the water. Note however the hatch is curved all the way around and therefore tricky to tape up.

As for it's performance when stock, I couldn't tell you. Mine has a 56 series motor and other goodies.

Thank you, Hughb. The hull size and looks are what I’m after. I’m thinking that if I buy one, eventually the stock setup will be changed out. It looks like the handling is decent at some respectable speeds. Would you agree?

I'm not that knowledgeable to say whether the hull has great handling or speed potential, but yes it is a good big boat to thrash around. If the stock parts wear out, then as you say you will change them out for better performance. And being a large hull with a large hatch opening means the boat is easy to work on or change parts out.

Ultimately if you're looking for a big yet budget mono hull that is ARTR, if it's a good price yeah go for it.

https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com...ghlight=Osprey

This is my Osprey. My Dad built her and wrote the build log above

I ran one with an endurance setup for a couple of years, it was raced against gassers and did okay. It performed well, even with 5kg of batteries in it at around 70 kph.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

Thanks for the input...very much appreciated
    Tim

I finally built an Osprey 4 months ago. Wanted to go twin and thought that 2 x 2000KV Leopard 4082's would do the trick on 6S with 440 props. Very disappointed with the result. It's a long hull for FE and sits low in the water so it's hard to get to plane, being a twin with the extra weight certainly didn't help. I swapped the Leo's for 2 x SSS 4092 1650 KV on 6S with 447 props, this made a huge difference but I'm just at the start of tuning it in. My aim was the low to mid 50's but I think I might be a little optimistic now. Anyway, it's a nice graceful boat, great for cruising unless you put a 56 series motor in it for more speed. Depends what you want to achieve.

Simmo, it sounds like you’ve put a lot of thought and work into it. I hope you can get it straightened out to your satisfaction. I’m looking for a little of everything. Speed and handling. I know that’s probably the norm for most people, so I’ll just need to try one out and see where it goes. Thanks for your input