Thread: motor mount/battery tray removal suggestions?

Default motor mount/battery tray removal suggestions?

Hello all, what is the recommended method for removing the factory glued battery tray and/or motor mount from a plastic hull?
    I don't want to damage the hull by using force or something harmful to the plastic.
    Any suggestions are appreciated!

Happy Boating~

Ya, I hear ya... but that glue may actually be stronger than the abs material.
    So.. if you need more battery room, I would be Dremelling off the starboard battery rail, so I could add a plate or otherwise widen the tray.
    I assume that’s why you want to remove the tray?

If you want to remove everything, I would Dremel out the mount plastic with a cut off wheel. Not pry with chisel or otherwise.

I chose to try the existing set up and modify as little as possible.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Why do you want to remove the stock items?

~ More peace, love, and kindness would make the world a much better place

Agreed, the glue can be harder than some plastics! I was afraid it would crack with too much force.
    The reason I need to make more room is I've upgrade my ESC after burning up the stock (the water ports on the stock ESC were clogged from the factory (thanks Horizon!).
    I purchased the Spektrum 160A ESC and it is much larger than the stock ESC. Simply trying to make room for the new addition. I'm hesitant about mounting it on the starboard side of the hull since it weighs so much, I figure keep it in the center, just like the stock unit.
    Any advice is welcome, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by OrganizedKahus View Post
    Agreed, the glue can be harder than some plastics! I was afraid it would crack with too much force.
    The reason I need to make more room is I've upgrade my ESC after burning up the stock (the water ports on the stock ESC were clogged from the factory (thanks Horizon!).
    I purchased the Spektrum 160A ESC and it is much larger than the stock ESC. Simply trying to make room for the new addition. I'm hesitant about mounting it on the starboard side of the hull since it weighs so much, I figure keep it in the center, just like the stock unit.
    Any advice is welcome, thank you!
    Understandable. Sorry to hear about the stock ESC. Did your call Horizon Hobby? If it was defective (blocked water inlet/outlet), they'll replace it. In many cases, you don't even have to ship the defective unit back...as long as you can prove the defect.

A lot of people (myself, included) have replaced the ESC...many with the Seaking 180A (which is smaller, and lighter, then the Spektrum Firma 160A)...so we understand about mounting location, and not wanting to "upset" the self-righting feature.

The only suggestion I can think of...at least, until 'someone' (maybe OSE, or Boat Bitz) releases a mount that can be installed in the SonicWake...is to make your own mounting plate. I don't how much room there is (as I don't have a Spektrum Firma to test-fit), but you should be able to make a plate (carbon fiber, G10, Lexan, etc) that attaches via the original two screws. Then, use double-sided tape to hold the new ESC to the plate, positioning it as close to the flood chamber as possible, but without 'kinking' the water line.

Thank ya guys!
    I was looking real hard at the Seaking 180A, but the Spektrum got my attention with the built in telemetry, guess I'm a sucker for gadgets?!
    I'm primarily focused on drivability and having fun with the boat, so mounting the ESC correctly is my goal to ensure it still handles halfway decent since it's one heavy ESC!
    Sounds like I'll bust out the dremel and get grinding away, slowly!

Thank ya guys!
    I was looking real hard at the Seaking 180A, but the Spektrum got my attention with the built in telemetry, guess I'm a sucker for gadgets?!
    I'm primarily focused on drivability and having fun with the boat, so mounting the ESC correctly is my goal to ensure it still handles halfway decent since it's one heavy ESC!
    Sounds like I'll bust out the dremel and get grinding away, slowly!
    You do know the Spektrum SMART telemetry only works if you have a transmitter capable of receiving the telemetry info, right? The Tx that comes with the SonicWake does NOT have that ability. At minimum, you need a SMART-capable transmitter & receiver...and, even then, the only telemetry data you would receive would be from the ESC...you would NOT receive any data from the motor, or batteries.

In order to receive ALL telemetry info, you need their SMART batteries, and motor (of which I don't believe there are currently any marine Firma motors). There are SMART motors...just no SMART marine motors, at least not yet (again, as far as I know of).

I did read that info about SMART and they def know how to 'get their hooks in you' to sell the full line of equipment. Not running the SMART batteries, however I use a DX5C transmitter with a 6100 receiver. I believe that will "speak to" the ESC with some data from the boat, at least that was my intent. I'm an old 1980/1990's RC car guy and just got back into RC recently with the boat, damn things have changed!!!

I did read that info about SMART and they def know how to 'get their hooks in you' to sell the full line of equipment. Not running the SMART batteries, however I use a DX5C transmitter with a 6100 receiver. I believe that will "speak to" the ESC with some data from the boat, at least that was my intent. I'm an old 1980/1990's RC car guy and just got back into RC recently with the boat, damn things have changed!!!
    I'm right there with ya. Got back into land-based RC a little over 2yrs ago, after a 35+ year absence...though, I was flying helis 8-12yrs ago. Just got into FE boats 9mo ago.

Panther6834...one more question.
    The DX5C & 6100 receiver will 'talk' to the SMART ESC....right? Just hoping I didn't make a big dollar mistake.

Panther6834...one more question.
    The DX5C & 6100 receiver will 'talk' to the SMART ESC....right? Just hoping I didn't make a big dollar mistake.
    I don't know anything on that, other than what I previously stated. When it comes to Txs & RCs, I stick with Futaba.

Much appreciated!

I agree, more peace, love and nappiness You've just inspired me to put in a signature line.

An eye for an eye will only make the world blind ~ Ghandi