Thread: Gracedeedsam - be aware scam

Default Gracedeedsam - be aware scam

Please make sure not to do anything with this guy , took my money and supplied fake pictures and item for sale.IMG_6905.jpg
    SRI / IMPBA 20279S

He was selling something on this forum?
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

The attached image is super low-res. Any way you can upload a higher res image?

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    He was selling something on this forum?
    Yes he sent me a PM telling me what he had as a reply to my looking for post and sent me pictures via email. Long story short he took my payment and disappeared. To find out the pictures were of somebody else’s boat
    SRI / IMPBA 20279S

Quote Originally Posted by Tahoe1970 View Post
    Yes he sent me a PM telling me what he had as a reply to my looking for post and sent me pictures via email. Long story short he took my payment and disappeared. To find out the pictures were of somebody else’s boat
    Well, an PM response to a WTB post was your first giant red flag that he was a scammer. Sorry you had to learn that lesson the hard way.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Well, an PM response to a WTB post was your first giant red flag that he was a scammer. Sorry you had to learn that lesson the hard way.
    Just because someone responds to a WTB posting via PM doesn't automatically mean the person is a scammer. PLENTY of legitimate sales start out that exact way.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    Just because someone responds to a WTB posting via PM doesn't automatically mean the person is a scammer. PLENTY of legitimate sales start out that exact way.

There's a reason one of the forum rules is that all sales need to take place in the thread and not PM's. In general, for any online classified section, WTB posts are scammer magnets. They're almost useless to post in the first place.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

There's a reason one of the forum rules is that all sales need to take place in the thread and not PM's. In general, for any online classified section, WTB posts are scammer magnets. They're almost useless to post in the first place.
    For items listed in the "Items for Sale" section, that is correct...all transactions MUST take place within the item listing thread. But, v for the "WTB" section, no such rule exists. Technically, the "WTB" section had no rules listed.

I admit that such replies 'can' be scams...but, there is nothing proving they 'are' scams.

and it just happened to be my Boat !!!

I admit that such replies 'can' be scams...but, there is nothing proving they 'are' scams.
    Sure there is, the percentage of replies to WTB posts by scammers.

It's clear the OP here is not a seasoned onliner seller/buyer. I don't even have to ask how payment was sent, because we all know how that went down. It's an unfortunate lesson learned.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Sure there is, the percentage of replies to WTB posts by scammers.

It's clear the OP here is not a seasoned onliner seller/buyer. I don't even have to ask how payment was sent, because we all know how that went down. It's an unfortunate lesson learned.
    And, as proof to counter your baseless 'argument', I recently responded to a WTB listing, via PM. Granted, I wish commented "PM sent" in the main thread...but, the point is, all info, including photos, were provided to the Op via PM (which, again, is allowed for the 'WTB' section), and the same proceeded very smoothly from there. The person having posted the WTB thread now has the boat he was looking for, and there was NO 'scam'. Again, proof that NOT all replies via PM to WTB threads are scams.

Furthermore, you provide absolutely no data to back up your baseless "percentage of replies to WTB posts by scammers" comment...and, even as am Op, you wouldn't be able to. The only person capable of providing such data would be an Admin...and, since no sick days had ever been provided, your comment can only be your assumption. At least I provided an example showing how your comment can be wrong.

I guess foolishly I agree to send funds thru Venmo and I tried requesting funds back and that was declined and blocked me from that user. I’m currently seeking support to get refunded

I see that he’s been BANNED - that’s a positive move
    SRI / IMPBA 20279S

I guess foolishly I agree to send funds thru Venmo and I tried requesting funds back and that was declined and blocked me from that user. I?m currently seeking support to get refunded
    And, that's why (even as stated by OSE) funds should be sent via PayPal. At least, with PayPal (when paying via "Purchasing Goods or Services"), your money is protected. If a seller 'requires' payment via any other method, or requires PayPal "Friends & Family", THAT'S the sign of a probable scam. Honestly, I wish you the best of luck in getting your money back.

If you don't, I know it's a "hard lesson to have learned"...but, at the same time, it's also one your won't forget. Thing is, as human beings, we don't learn by doing "everything right"...we learn "through the mistakes we've made". The example I always use is "being taught not to touch a hot stove". As a little kid, our parents always told us not to touch a hot stove, or we would burn ourselves. Did we learn because we listened to them? Of course not. We learned, because we touched the hot stove (probably multiple times, as since of us have a "harder head" than others...I know, as I was one of them), and burned ourselves.

There's an old saying: "Burn me once, shame on you. Burn me twice, shame on me.". Again, best of luck in recovering the funds.

And, as proof to counter your baseless 'argument', I recently responded to a WTB listing, via PM. Granted, I wish commented "PM sent" in the main thread...but, the point is, all info, including photos, were provided to the Op via PM (which, again, is allowed for the 'WTB' section), and the same proceeded very smoothly from there. The person having posted the WTB thread now has the boat he was looking for, and there was NO 'scam'. Again, proof that NOT all replies via PM to WTB threads are scams.

Furthermore, you provide absolutely no data to back up your baseless "percentage of replies to WTB posts by scammers" comment...and, even as am Op, you wouldn't be able to. The only person capable of providing such data would be an Admin...and, since no sick days had ever been provided, your comment can only be your assumption. At least I provided an example showing how your comment can be wrong.

I think you're arguing for arguments sake. You win. I'm going to go scam someone now to cancel out your WTB PM data point.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)