Thread: KlassKote over West Systems on a wood rigger?

Default KlassKote over West Systems on a wood rigger?

Will the epoxy paint bond to the systems sealer cote on wood?

Thanks doodes!

I?ve painted a few with Klasscoat over West Systems with no problems. Great for nitro boats it stands up to the fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Namba District 16
    1/8 Miss U.S., 1/8 59 Maverick, 1/8 Executone, 1/8 Smokin Joe, 1/8 Bud, MLGSX380, AC Pro40II Q Sport, AC Pro40II nitro,Twincraft mono 10s, Vision AOPC, VS1 FE, M34.

Oohh those came out nice! Did you use a white base/primer for that fluorescent rigger?

Somehow the pic is making it look a different colour, it?s not really fluorescent. But I did use KlassKote white primer.

Namba District 16
    1/8 Miss U.S., 1/8 59 Maverick, 1/8 Executone, 1/8 Smokin Joe, 1/8 Bud, MLGSX380, AC Pro40II Q Sport, AC Pro40II nitro,Twincraft mono 10s, Vision AOPC, VS1 FE, M34.

I have had good success painting klass Kote directly on West systems after proper prep.
    I will say I had more problems using Klass Kote primer and Klass Kote paint that would peel over time.

Make sure the epoxy is very well cured and you sand all surfaces followed by a through paint degreaser before cleaning.

-Tyler
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525
    T-Hydro @ 142.94mph former WR

Quote Originally Posted by RaceMechaniX View Post
    I have had good success painting klass Kote directly on West systems after proper prep.
    I will say I had more problems using Klass Kote primer and Klass Kote paint that would peel over time.

Make sure the epoxy is very well cured and you sand all surfaces followed by a through paint degreaser before cleaning.

-Tyler
    Should I avoid their primer, Tyler?

If possible, I would grab some scrap wood and paint one with primer and paint and the opposite side without primer. Allow them to fully cure and see which one peels or resists tape pull better.
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525
    T-Hydro @ 142.94mph former WR

I think it helps to leave some ?teeth? on the primer and not sand it too smooth.

Namba District 16

My experience with Klass Kote has been fantastic. I have used both grey and white primer shot onto epoxyglass hulls as well as wood hulls that have been sealed with West Systems epoxy. I don't recall having any issues with tape pulling the paint. However, I have had some issues with the Klass Kote Clear pulling off of a natural tub that was sealed with West Systems. Although, I am quite confident it was a prep error on my part.

I have recommended Klass Kote products multiple time here and other boating forums. If I can shot this stuff; anyone can!

I?ll be using a preval sprayer reduced 1-1-1. Ive read most of your posts over on Intl Waters, but wasn?t sure if the systems was an issue for the klasskote.

Thanks doodes!!

Quote Originally Posted by jingalls007 View Post
    I?ll be using a preval sprayer reduced 1-1-1. Ive read most of your posts over on Intl Waters, but wasn?t sure if the systems was an issue for the klasskote.

Thanks doodes!!
    While I've never used the Preval sprayer, an air brush with a course needle setup has worked fine for me. it eliminates the need for an HVLP gun.