Thread: Thru hull water pickups

Default Thru hull water pickups

Anyone out there have any preferences on any of the water pickups that OSE offers? It's going into a flat bottom drag boat. Thanks!

location, internal obstructions, and a clean installation are more important than the exact model. They need to go far back on the hull where they'll always be in contact with water when the hull is aired out. Close to the keel on a V-bottom and as low on the sponsons as possible on a cat.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Thanks for getting back to me. I've used the Octura pickup in the past and it worked well enough, but if there is a better one available, I'll give it a try. Thanks again.

With a flat bottomed boat at speed you are unlikely to have any one part of the hull in the water consistently, I would look at a rudder blade pickup or a prop wash pickup instead.

If you really must have a through hull pickup, I would recommend making your own, a simple alloy or brass tube intake is much more efficient than any of the commercial offerings I have seen, so you will get bigger gulps of water whenever it touches the water.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Ok, that is good advice. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by NativePaul View Post
    With a flat bottomed boat at speed you are unlikely to have any one part of the hull in the water consistently, I would look at a rudder blade pickup or a prop wash pickup instead.

If you really must have a through hull pickup, I would recommend making your own, a simple alloy or brass tube intake is much more efficient than any of the commercial offerings I have seen, so you will get bigger gulps of water whenever it touches the water.
    I raced a flat bottom boat for 20 years, the water pickup was on the cavitation plate just to the right of the rudder. Never had any overheat problems.

That's a good idea, I like it. Thanks.

Hmm. Interesting. I like the idea of the OSE thru-the-hull pickups. I'm considering a pair for my Blackjack 24. I thought that a good spot would be the aft end of each sponson. Is that not going to work? Seems they would always be in the water.

Spotted this design at Performance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Missing images?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike W View Post
    Spotted this design at Performance.
    I can?t seem to open the images