Thread: Recommendations for a recovery boat

Default Recommendations for a recovery boat

Would prefer the bottom self righting. What are you all using?

Refurbished old Tamiya Tug. Good servo and low kv brushless motor.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

ProBoat ShockWave, with (MUCH lower) 1250kV motor, Seaking 120A ESC, and a modified dual-rudder system (so that it turns both directions requalify well, even when pushing the rescue platform & another boat). Also, as I'm running dial rudders, I also added a second water line - first rudder (starboard side) cools the ESC, and exits via a new hole on the port side; second rudder (port side) cools the motor, and exits the original starboard-side hole.

~ More peace, love, and kindness would make the world a much better place

Very cool I searched around for a tug boat haven't seen much without pulling out the big wallet. Thank it's harder trying to find a recovery boat than it is some thing you're trying to buy as a primary hobby..

As a thought, we use pool floats, some 3/4 pvc, using the same batteries as our boats.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Considering buying the harbor freight boat today, to use as a platform.

Quote Originally Posted by IGGY_357 View Post
    As a thought, we use pool floats, some 3/4 pvc, using the same batteries as our boats.
    Was just able to view those pics, I have seen some similar builds... pretty cool.
    You are using a servo to turn the PVC with the rudder?

If you run monos, cats, or scale hydros get yourself a springer tug, there are several plans, kits, and hulls out there depending on how much building you want to do, and they are so popular they are easy to come by used if you want something nicer than an RTR and don't want to build at all.

If you run riggers, knock yourself up something out of PVC pipe and a tupperware pot, a quick search here will bring up several extremely effective designs to take inspiration from, and most are ugly enough that they will make you feel better about the aesthetics of your choice of FE boat.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Quote Originally Posted by Manns50 View Post
    Was just able to view those pics, I have seen some similar builds... pretty cool.
    You are using a servo to turn the PVC with the rudder?
    Yes. The rudder and motor both turn. Works great for recovery of both cats and monos. As long as they are not taking on water. Also there is one special fitting. It's a 3/4" pvc furniture tee. Below the 90 that the motor attaches to.

Ended up buying a React 17, has the self righting which doesn't matter much for this use but figured my boy could run the battery down playing with it .....after we run our cats.
    Just have to throw some PVC pipe together with some pool noodles. Shouldn't be too hard of scouted around at a couple ideas others have made..

Almsot ordered that Vacu tug...and still may in the future. Looks like a fun build

I just tested this out today. Cold here so had to wait till a warmer day but this didn't work so well.
    It pushed it along slowly but it didn't turn very well. there was a breeze and it didn't have enough turning thrust to turn into the wind but I could get it to slowly turn the other direction to come back.
    I didn't even have a boat I was trying to push so this is not going to work at all. Planning on getting a different boat and would like to use this PVC set up. I used schedule 40 PVC and probably shouldn't have considering the added weight.

It seem to create a lot of white wash rather than thrust from the prop, thinking The prop is too shallow even though the angle of it in this PVC put the prop a little lower in the water, it still didn't have enough thrust. I may look into the vacu tug...any suggestions?A0D854D3-477B-4341-8051-0B0440792AE8.jpg
    Last edited by Manns50; 01-21-2021 at 08:04 PM.

Your captured nose design is likely holding the hull at a bad angle causing the prop to cavitate. The stock prop on that boat is probably too small and the thrust isn't enough to push anything of significance. Less rpm, more prop the the direction to go, but I wouldn't bother trying to make that React into a viable recovery boat.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Ended up buying a React 17, has the self righting which doesn't matter much for this use but figured my boy could run the battery down playing with it .....after we run our cats.
    The React 17 is to small, and has way too little power, to be used as a rescue boat. On top of that, you're going to fry the motor, and probably take the ESC with it. The thing is, using that small of, and such an underpowered, motor, you're already overworking it just pushing the rescue platform.

I might still be someone new to FR, but even I know not to use that small, and underpowered, of a boat as a "rescue boat". Add in the weight & resistance of a larger boat, and even a snail could outpace it...that if, if it doesn't blow first. As others have said, think 'bigger'.

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    Your captured nose design is likely holding the hull at a bad angle causing the prop to cavitate. The stock prop on that boat is probably too small and the thrust isn't enough to push anything of significance. Less rpm, more prop the the direction to go, but I wouldn't bother trying to make that React into a viable recovery boat.
    Thanks for your advice, yes I?ve given up on the little boat and will seek out some thing else. Do you recommend the vacu tug kit?
    Ive got several other projects going at the moment I don?t really need to take on another one but if I have to I?ll add it to the list.
    I actually bought a brushless Hobby king motor, program card/ESC for this react I can't seem to leave anything alone. I watched a guy that put a brushless set up in one of those and it moved on out handled it pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    The React 17 is to small, and has way too little power, to be used as a rescue boat. On top of that, you're going to fry the motor, and probably take the ESC with it. The thing is, using that small of, and such an underpowered, motor, you're already overworking it just pushing the rescue platform.

I might still be someone new to FR, but even I know not to use that small, and underpowered, of a boat as a "rescue boat". Add in the weight & resistance of a larger boat, and even a snail could outpace it...that if, if it doesn't blow first. As others have said, think 'bigger'.

Yes I’m new to this hobby as well, I’ve messed with RC cars and bashers most of my life and have owned a couple full-size boats but definitely new to the RC boat world. Lots of fun.
    Currently building a couple model rockets and another one in the hopper to be finished. I am rebuilding some flippers on a pinball machine but auto mechanics is my forte. LOL
    I get your point, not sure what I was thinking definitely regret that purchase.

Thanks for your advice, yes I?ve given up on the little boat and will seek out some thing else. Do you recommend the vacu tug kit?
    Ive got several other projects going at the moment I don?t really need to take on another one but if I have to I?ll add it to the list.
    I actually bought a brushless Hobby king motor, program card/ESC for this react I can't seem to leave anything alone. I watched a guy that put a brushless set up in one of those and it moved on out handled it pretty well.
    My Vac-u-tug has the more powerful of the two motor options, but its still just a basic air cooled brushed motor running on a 7 cell NiMh pack. Aside from a really windy day, it moves along pretty well and has no problems bringing back my stranded boats.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    My Vac-u-tug has the more powerful of the two motor options, but its still just a basic air cooled brushed motor running on a 7 cell NiMh pack. Aside from a really windy day, it moves along pretty well and has no problems bringing back my stranded boats.

I have one coming, will get this built and do it right thank you for all the advice and comments.

Attachment 171807
    Will reuse this frame. After taking this picture I put some curved tips on the front forks. I was giving advice to remove the blue noodles to reduce drag so will be doing that as well.