Thread: Naviga mono classes, help me clear up some confusion :)

Default Naviga mono classes, help me clear up some confusion :)

I was recently trying to figure out what a modern 2021 mono 2 setup would look like using the information online. I ended up with more questions than I started, so im asking for some help here :)

My questions are regarding batteries, energy limiters and speeds these boats reach during races.

1: Are energy limiters mandatory in 2021? Is it no longer possible to run without one with a 570g pack?

2: What battery capacity and weight do these modern energy limited boats run?

3. Has the speed increased since the energy limiter mandation, and what kind of speed would I need to hold to be competetive?

Thank you very much!

Jan

I am a Hydro guy not a mono guy, but the power rules are the same for Hydro 2 and Mono 2 so I can help you with your questions so far.

1: Yes energy limiters are mandatory for mono 2 (and all other classes except Mini classes). It is no longer legal to run without one, and the weight limit has changed from a maximum of 570g to a minimum of 700g, so you cant run a 570g pack.

2: Battery capacity is usually around 6200 give or take 100mAh (assuming 6s (which I would advise)). Weights vary with budget, Redzone 6200 are close to the 700g minimum, and the cheap Zippy 6200 I use are about 900g.

3: The limits were chosen to give equal performance to the fastest guys on 570g so they have not got any faster, but the budget guys like me now have equal power, and while we still have approx a 10% weight penalty for our shallow pockets, my speed has increased considerably so I am competitive now.

My guess is speeds somewhere around 50mph should be competitive if the boat is good in the other areas too, but not a lot of Naviga racers know or care what their top speed is. Cornering and handling are both as important as speed to achieving the most laps in the 6 minutes, and at the end of the day lap count is what determines who lifts the trophy.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Thank you very much! The new battery rules sure do sound like a change for the better. I asked on my local forum and they said that it's still possible to run without a limiter with a 560g battery, but they havent raced in a while, since the race situation is quite poor here.

Jan

That may well be possible locally.

For example here in the UK we run to rules based on Naviga rules. However Naviga is an international only organisation, and there is only 1 Naviga FE race per year, a World championships or a European championships alternately.

The competitions in individual countries are not run by Naviga, so the organisation that runs model boat racing in each country is free to use whatever rules they want. Generally most countries in Europe and Asia chose to run the Naviga rules or rules based on the Naviga rules to make competing in those big Naviga races easier for their members, but they are free to deviate from them; for example the MPBA (the UK organisation for FE boat racing) accepts any new Naviga rule straight away, but where possible allows the old Naviga rule carry over and overlap for a year or so, allowing people on a budget to continue racing what they have, while saving up to become Naviga compliant for the following year when racing within the UK.

Is SK Slovakia?

If so and there is not a big FE scene there, you might want to check out whether any of the FE racing in your neighboring countries is near your border, I know there is a decent FE scene in Ukraine and Poland, and have met racers from Czech Republik and Hungary at Naviga events, so suspect there is FE there as well.

Yes, I live in Slovakia. The situation here is pretty pitiable, almost noone races FE anymore. 5 years back it was a different story. Yes, I might have to check out the neighboring countries, because the one other active member in the boat section of our forum said that he only knows 2 guys left in the mono class...

Luckily, the 1/10 buggy scene is pretty big here, and I managed to get some people from our local track interested in buying some of my hulls to have some fun racing each other.

I really hope that works out!