Any of you guys that know me & have seen some of my builds, know that I like boats that are a bit different. Well here's the most different boat that I have ever seen. Especially for a warship.
So of course, even though I have other unfinished models lying around, I had to make a start on this one. A round Russian gunship from 1873, the Novgorod. That's right...a round gunship

https://www.google.com/search?q=russ...LqeBuQYKiTshLM

What really sparked my interest was a little 1:200 scale kit I saw on ebay. only 150mm ( 6" ) in diamater, but complete with motors props & drive shafts.
I bought the kit with the intent to use it, along with photos & line drawings on the web, to scale up some plans to 1:48 scale which ends up being 640mm in diameter.

The kit arrived the other day so I've taken some measurements and started work on it last night.
The lazer etched wooden decking and the etched brass railings are exquisite.

So I made a start on it last night. I cut a disk for the bottom of the hull from some old scrap 1/16" ply veneer.
Then strengthened it with some 1/4" sq bass wood.

When the hull is all planked, I'll add another disk on top to both strengthen it and to have a base to mount all the gear on to.
I've cut out a template for the ribs. Just need to make the other 15 of them now.

I'm going to notch them out for some 1/8" stringers to run around the hull and then just do some vertical planking over them with some 1/16" ply. Probably 3 stringers on the curve and one around the top where the deck is should do it.

This is going to be the strangest boat I've ever built. It won't be a quick build but it will be interesting.
Cheers.

The hull, deck, brass etchings and the lazer etched wooden decking.
IMAG0062.jpg

The bits 'n pieces including motors & drive shafts etc.
IMAG0066.jpg

Adding the bass sticks to the bottom of the hull.
IMAG0068.jpg

All finished.
IMAG0069.jpg

The rib template clamped into position for a look see.
IMAG0070.jpg