Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Russian Novgorod.

Default Russian Novgorod.

Any of you guys that know me & have seen some of my builds, know that I like boats that are a bit different. Well here's the most different boat that I have ever seen. Especially for a warship.
    So of course, even though I have other unfinished models lying around, I had to make a start on this one. A round Russian gunship from 1873, the Novgorod. That's right...a round gunship

https://www.google.com/search?q=russ...LqeBuQYKiTshLM

What really sparked my interest was a little 1:200 scale kit I saw on ebay. only 150mm ( 6" ) in diamater, but complete with motors props & drive shafts.
    I bought the kit with the intent to use it, along with photos & line drawings on the web, to scale up some plans to 1:48 scale which ends up being 640mm in diameter.

The kit arrived the other day so I've taken some measurements and started work on it last night.
    The lazer etched wooden decking and the etched brass railings are exquisite.

So I made a start on it last night. I cut a disk for the bottom of the hull from some old scrap 1/16" ply veneer.
    Then strengthened it with some 1/4" sq bass wood.

When the hull is all planked, I'll add another disk on top to both strengthen it and to have a base to mount all the gear on to.
    I've cut out a template for the ribs. Just need to make the other 15 of them now.

I'm going to notch them out for some 1/8" stringers to run around the hull and then just do some vertical planking over them with some 1/16" ply. Probably 3 stringers on the curve and one around the top where the deck is should do it.

This is going to be the strangest boat I've ever built. It won't be a quick build but it will be interesting.
    Cheers.

The hull, deck, brass etchings and the lazer etched wooden decking.
    IMAG0062.jpg

The bits 'n pieces including motors & drive shafts etc.
    IMAG0066.jpg

Adding the bass sticks to the bottom of the hull.
    IMAG0068.jpg

All finished.
    IMAG0069.jpg

The rib template clamped into position for a look see.
    IMAG0070.jpg

After spending a bit of time this afternoon with the fret saw, I managed to cut out and notch all the ribs.
    A bit of medium CA glue & they are now all in place.
    I'll have to take a drive tomorrow to our local hobby store, to get some 1/8" sq basswood stringers. That's going to cost a pretty penny. I hope they have some.

Ribs all in place.
    IMAG0071.jpg

What an interesting concept. Go man go!!

Additional information...

https://youtu.be/R5AUGq4Voeg

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    What an interesting concept. Go man go!!
    Sure is interesting.

Jay.
    Thanks for that link. I had seen it before, but just fast forwarded it to check out the drawings & images.
    But now, thanks to you, I actually played the whole thing and absorbed the history & the details.
    Now that I've actually started the build, I'll be reading up a bit more on the history & workings of these boats.

The hobbyshop had no 1/8"sq bass or spruce, so I had to settle for some 1.5mm x 6mm planks. I needed to split them in half & laminate two around the ribs.

For the deck level & the next one down I just widened the notches in the ribs & used the 6mm wide planks.
    They were easy as the ribs are nearly vertical at those points.
    But on the curved sections of the ribs, the strips need to bend up as well as around the hull. The planks didn't want to do that, So I had to halve them to 3mm to get the bend in them.

Here's a couple of pics. Wifey thinks I'm building a UFO.

Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year to all.

The top two stringers with the 6mm wine planks laminated.
    IMAG0075.jpg

The first of the 3mm wide stringers laminated.
    IMAG0077.jpg

Overlapping the joints on a curve between the ribs keeps a nicer curve, rather than joining them on a rib, which leaves a distinct angle because of the tension in the wood.
    IMAG0076.jpg

Your wifey is right, kind of lol ! UFO = Unidentified Floating Object? very interesting indeed.
    PROBOAT BlackJack 24", ShockWave 26"
    MRP U-31, 3 tunnels VS1, MRP Bud Light, Dumas HS Sprint

I like that description JestDanny.
    Yes, interesting indeed.
    Not very successful, but interesting.

Should be able to get that thing on plane with 6S
    Interesting build for sure. I've never seen a circular ship before.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Controlling the 6 motors would be the fun part when up on the plane
    From what l've read, the thing just used to plough through the waves, and was very hard to control. The rudder was useless & they had to forward & reverse the engines like tank steering. Must have been fun with steam engines.
    Cheers.

Well I've made it back home on Friday night from my holiday down to Tasmania. It was great to see the family again.
    So yesterday I cut and glued a few planks onto the framework.
    They were cut to 15mm at one end and 13mm at the other. Then they needed to be sanded a bit narrower at the smaller end leaving a bowed edge, from about the center of the planks, so that the sides married to each other as they curved around the 90 degree bend.
    I also cut them such that the grain of the outside layers of the ply was across the plank, to make them easier to bend around the framework with a lot less tension on them.
    I just used thick CA glue to fix them in place. Still picking the dried glue off my finger tips.
    To try and make sure that the rim stayed circular, I did two panels opposite each other first. Then a pair at 90 degrees to those two. Then repeated the process for the next 4 panels.
    It worked because the rim is still circular.
    Here are a few pics.

m_IMAG0086.jpg

m_IMAG0087.jpg

m_IMAG0089.jpg

m_IMAG0090.jpg

I finished the planking over the last few evenings.
    The drive shafts, props, & the motors/gearboxes have arrived too.
    The props were the closest I could find that looked like the original shape. But man they need some serious balancing. Even spinning the shaft in my hand, with a quick twist of the shaft, sets up some serious wobble
    The motor/gearboxes will only be spinning at around 340 rpm but 6 of them all vibrating at once won't be good.

The motors.
    https://www.banggood.com/Chihai-DC-7...e=CN&ID=513819

The props.
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4mm-Shaf...53.m2749.l2649

The shafts.
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4mm-Driv...53.m2749.l2648

The finished hull.
    m_IMAG0091.jpg

The finished hull with the drives sitting roughly in place.
    And yes... I will make sure that the props go on the outside of the hull
    m_IMAG0093.jpg

Ha, I showed my Italian wife and she asked if it was a Parmesan cheese wheel!
    Yes definitely put props on the outside. Gear box, or are those six motors?
    Ready to see what happens on the other side.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

I see her point. If only. Yum!!

cheese-wheel-branded1.jpg

Those are 6 motors and gearboxes combined.

A little bit more done on the hull today, It's our 'Australia Day' holiday today, so a bit of free time from work.
    I've added a deck ring for the main deck to fit against.
    Also did a bit of filling and sanding.
    Should get the epoxy glass work done later on today I hope.

Cheers.

m_IMAG0110.jpg

m_IMAG0109.jpg

belated happy Australia Day. this is the first thread I check on when visiting OSE
    PROBOAT BlackJack 24", ShockWave 26"
    MRP U-31, 3 tunnels VS1, MRP Bud Light, Dumas HS Sprint

Thanks Danny.
    Despite the virus fears, there were still a lot of celebrations around the country. It was good to see.

A successfull mornings work today I think.
    I decided to mock up the deck & the barbette for the guns.

Firstly I decided on the curvature of the deck from various drawings & photos. Couldn't find any exact measurements so, I go by the caveat that if it looks right, it is right.
    The diameter of the barbett is listed in the specs of the ship so that was easy to scale out to the 1:48 scale that I am using.

I cut 16 deck formers to be arranged in the spider web arrangement around the barbette.

I cut a couple of discs of 3mm balsa, at 180mm diameter, for templates, And then a strip of 1/16" aircraft ply to wrap around them to form the wall.
    I pre-bent the ply around a 4" post in my workshop that holds up the floor above.
    No soaking, no amonia, no heat. Just the Uri Geller touch, and mind control.
    I always think of the English Wheel when I do this.

So this is where I found out that the ring around the top of the hull is not exactly circular, as I had to trim the notches out on more than a few of the frames to allow the whole thing to sit down flush.
    No biggie. An easy fix.

Here are the compulsory visuals.

Cutting the formers.
    m_IMAG0121.jpg

Bending the ply.
    m_IMAG0128.jpg

Bent ply ready for glueing to the templates. Very little pressure.
    m_IMAG0123.jpg

Formers attached To the barbette
    m_IMAG0130.jpg

Deck frame sitting in place.
    m_IMAG0131.jpg

A little bit more done to the deck.
    I added some cross braces of 5mm balsa to strengthen things up a bit. And to get a good curve & frame for the skin to adhere to.
    Now it does look like a spiders webb
    I'll lay a skin of 1/16" balsa and then plank it. I have some veneer that I can cut into strips.
    I had a couple of sheets of the balsa so I bought a few more and cut some pieces ready for final fitting.
    Cheers.

m_IMAG0134.jpg

m_IMAG0135.jpg

m_IMAG0136.jpg

m_IMAG0133.jpg

I'm on night shift again for a few days, and I got home from work this morning and decided to put a layer of fiberglass on the hull.
    I mixed up enough resin to give the underside of the deck a coat too, to seal the wood and joints.
    When the hull is fully cured, I'll give it a sand and apply a finishing coat, and will give the topside of the deck a coat of resin only, to seal and make ready for the planking.
    That will just leave the inside of the hull to brush on a coat to seal all the wood in there.

m_IMAG0142.jpg

m_IMAG0143.jpg

Ahoy, the Parmesan boat!
    Who ever convinced somebody to actually build this? Ohhh, those Russians!
    How many were actually deployed?
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Hi Jesse.
    Seems rediculous doesn't it.
    Only two were built, the Novgorod, and the Popov.
    Here's the man responsible https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrei...ndrovich_Popov
    Wierd, I know, but that's why I like building pre WWI ships. Full of innovation of the times.
    Cheers.

Finished the fiberglassing and coats of resin on both the hull and deck.
    And the deck has been trimmed and sanded to fit the hull.

Spent a lazy Sunday today building up the main cabin and cutting some 5mm wide strips from some veneer I had lying around, for the decks.

The basic frame was made from some 5mm balsa and the sides are from 1/16" aircraft ply. The top will be ply too, but that can wait until tomorrow.
    I need some food and it's time to open a nice bottle of Cabernet Merlot.

m_IMAG0147.jpg

m_IMAG0149.jpg

Well, as we all know, a piece of ply will not bend in both directions. So I decided to cover the roof of the main cabin with pieces of 1/16" balsa like the main deck.
    The center of the roof ended up a bit flat so I applied a couple of layers of Auto body blade putty and sanded it to conform with both curves. It's now ready for planking.

I wanted to glue in a floor on top of the framework to mount the motors, shafts, servos, ESC's etc. But I felt the need to add some weight under the floor first.
    So I bought a roll of lead flashing and cut some pizza triangles to fit in between the stringers.
    I managed to get 3 pieces siliconed into each section. The total weight of the lead is just on 5 pounds. Not any where near enough I know, but it's a start.

So then I cut a disc of 1/8" ply and cut out some notches for the frames to come through.

Here's some pics.

m_IMAG0154.jpg

m_IMAG0150.jpg

m_IMAG0152.jpg

m_IMAG0153.jpg
    Last edited by 785boats; 02-14-2021 at 08:54 PM.

We had a day at the club yesterday, and I put the boat in the water for a ballast test.
    It took another 22 pounds of lead (27 pounds in total) and it still wasn't down to the waterline.
    That's a heavy boat for a hull that's only 25 and a 1/2" in diameter.

Dang bro, that’s coming along! I showed your build to my dad and he too was impressed with your off menu build style!
    One thought: I helped a buddy with a big Rc river tug that also required a bunch of weight, and we used removable ballast to make transporting more reasonable. Knowing you, I’m sure you have some creative trick along these lines.
    Great progress and I’m really keen to see the puppy in action!

Are you going to add this class to the race schedule this year?
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Hi Jesse.

Things always seem to move quickly when you are having fun doing it. And the fact that it is so different to any other boat that I have ever built makes it more interesting too.
    There's no trick with the ballast. I will be doing exactly what you guys did, and what I do on some of my other big boats. Blocks of removable lead.

I don't think there will be any takers at the club for this class of racing. I can't walk as slowly as this boat will travel at it's scale speed.

There are many different layouts for this thing & I've opted for one of the earliest versions with the flying bridges, open ships wheel, and lots of planking.
    So the planking may be where the fun factor drops a little as the tedium sets in.

I made up a bit of a jig to cut all the planks to 150mm long.
    Marked off the 'imaginary' bulkheads across the hull at 30mm (1/5 plank length) and using medium CA, glued the planks down in what is known as a 4 butt pattern.

Here's the start of it.

The layout that I'm going with.
    m_1360295722_bronenosec_novgorod.jpg

The extremely sophisticated plank cutting jig ( patent pending ).
    IMAG0185.jpg

Progress on the planking.
    IMAG0188.jpg

I got a bit more done on the planking. It's going much more quickly than I thought it would.

m_IMAG0194.jpg

m_IMAG0196.jpg

I've decided to give the cosmetic surgery a bit of a miss for a while, and get into the engineering side of things.
    So this morning I decided to have a go at mounting the motors & drive lines.

After marking out the centerlines of the shafts, I drilled the 6 holes in the hull for them.
    Then cut 6 motor mounts from some 30 x 30mm aluminium angle and drilled the mounting holes for the motors. Then mounted the motors.
    I also drilled & countersank 4 holes in the base for the epoxy to fill up and create sort of rivets to help keep them in place.

Using a hex flex coupler, from one of my race boats, to keep the shafts in line with the motor shafts, I epoxied the motormount and stuffing tube in place as single units.
    I had to cut away parts of the ribs that were sticking up through the floor first though.

Then some epoxy putty was shaped around the stuffing tube where they passed through the hull for extra strength.
    After that had all set, I installed the little metal universals that came with the prop shaft/stuffing tube units.

If you think setting up twin drives is fun, try 6 of the blighters.

I just need to epoxy in some ply braces at the motor end of the stuffing tubes to strengthen them up.

You will notice that I've got the props spinning outwards at the tops. Would spinning them inwards give me better handling?

Here's some pics.

Motor mounts & motor/gearboxes.
    m_IMAG0200.jpg

Hex flex coupler used to aign the motor & shaft.
    m_IMAG0205.jpg

All 6 installed.
    m_IMAG0206.jpg

m_IMAG0204.jpg

Those 6 props should stir up a bit of water.
    m_IMAG0208.jpg

Relaxing day at the club yesterday, with time to sharpen and balance a few of the props.
    They are so far out of balance that it is not funny,
    They are obviously all out of the same mold because one blade is so much thicker on all 6 props.
    Took along 3 boats to play with.

m_IMAG0251.jpg

m_IMAG0219.jpg

m_IMAG0242.jpg

Attachment 171981

m_IMAG0233.jpg

m_IMAG0254.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast