Thread: New Dumas Miller America; Brushless Help!

Default New Dumas Miller America; Brushless Help!

Recently procured what appears to be an old Dumas Miller America, ~43-44”, that I would estimate is like 98% built, but never run. Looks like it’s missing maybe a driver head panel and the metal supports that string between the vertical tail(s) and the stern of the boat. Up front, I had an RC boat 30 years ago...and that’s it. I built planes at the same time, and have had cars off and on since then. I’m looking for some advice on completion, as well as converting it to a brushless drive. I won’t race it, just finishing it to entertain my children. It doesn’t look like it’s been lightened at all; may try to lose some wood here and there. I’m pretty sure I have a modern Futaba radio that I can use with it. Any help or guidance is much appreciated; pictures to follow. Bottom sponson has a few very small paint chips that I’ll also need to repaint. It has ZERO hardware. I purchased it at a garage sale; it was likely built decades ago and then has sat...and is in near perfect condition. I need advice for a motor, mount, ESC, and literally everything associated with the drive shaft, rudder, etc. I’ve scoured the internet, and found a few threads, but am still looking for advice. I appreciate the time!

Common motor choice here is a Neu 1527 at 850 kv which is run on 8s. The guys race them but don’t get carried away with speed because the hulls are usually pretty nicely done such as yours is. I think standard rudder and round bottom 1/4” strut are fine. Turn fins are the Only issue but Randy Rap on here has some. There are other choices as well, I’m sure someone will chime in.

I haven’t assembled one yet but I have a 45”sport Hydro here with all my gear for it. Just need time to build

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    Common motor choice here is a Neu 1527 at 850 kv which is run on 8s. The guys race them but don?t get carried away with speed because the hulls are usually pretty nicely done such as yours is. I think standard rudder and round bottom 1/4? strut are fine. Turn fins are the Only issue but Randy Rap on here has some. There are other choices as well, I?m sure someone will chime in.

I haven?t assembled one yet but I have a 45?sport Hydro here with all my gear for it. Just need time to build
    Thanks for the info. I?m assuming that NEU engine is popular because it?s an ?allowable? race engine per the regulations. I?ve also had a recommendation for ?FP? engines on a FB Group I asked a similar question for. I?ll find this Randy guy and try and get some fins from him. Keep the gouge coming!

Ya, the NEU motors are pretty much a standard in FE boats.

Ya, the NEU motors are pretty much a standard in FE boats.
    Well they used to be the standard serious race motor, but a decline in their quality/price ratio a few years ago has seen a move by many racers to the TP motors. Their efficiency is close to the Neu with a lower cost. I haven’t purchased a new Neu motor in several years - their quality may have improved - but most have been pleased with TP performance.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    Well they used to be the standard serious race motor, but a decline in their quality/price ratio a few years ago has seen a move by many racers to the TP motors. Their efficiency is close to the Neu with a lower cost. I haven?t purchased a new Neu motor in several years - their quality may have improved - but most have been pleased with TP performance.

Id like to keep my options open. Which TP motor would be similar in performance that you?d recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by mrw3685 View Post
    Id like to keep my options open. Which TP motor would be similar in performance that you?d recommend?
    A Tp power 4070 somewhere around the 800kv mark.

I just looked it up and you would want either a 4070 6Y or 4070 10D

https://www.tppowerusa.com/motors/bu...series/tp-4070

Hi
    i have a perfect brand new brushless motor to go with this hull if you want to buy, dynamite 1000kv with motor mount. or if you want to sell it. I take it