Thread: Which ESC for new build

Default Which ESC for new build

Hi ALL,

So my project for the holidays is a 45" Lightspeed mono. This boat will be run in Open mono next season on 10s. I've been reading alot of the information on here and really appreciate all the great advice!! I'm still a FE rookie as i've been only racing them for 2 years...and this will be my first big boat build! Ok so my question is which is the best(?) ESC to get for this build? The motor will be between 500-700kv and i know i need to run a 300A esc. Which way should i go? ZTW? Swordfish? Swordfish Lite?? Looking for some honest advice here.

Thanks!!!!
    David

Hello Hispeed10k,

Do you already have a motor brand in mind? I ask because some ESC's work better with specific motors compared to others.
    The Swordfish X +300 ESC seems to be a solid favorite of those running open class boats. They work well with TP and most other motors.
    Assuming you have ample space I would go with the X +300A ESC.

If you want high end options there is the MGM 40063, YGE 205 HVT NAVY or a Kontronik Kosmik Kool 300.

I have no experience with the ZTW's so can't say one way or another.
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525
    T-Hydro @ 142.94mph former WR

Quote Originally Posted by RaceMechaniX View Post
    Hello Hispeed10k,

Do you already have a motor brand in mind? I ask because some ESC's work better with specific motors compared to others.
    The Swordfish X +300 ESC seems to be a solid favorite of those running open class boats. They work well with TP and most other motors.
    Assuming you have ample space I would go with the X +300A ESC.

If you want high end options there is the MGM 40063, YGE 205 HVT NAVY or a Kontronik Kosmik Kool 300.

I have no experience with the ZTW's so can't say one way or another.
    Hey Tyler,

Thanks for the reply!! I'm thinking either the TP or the Leapord.....but leaning to the TP. I don't think i can afford the MGM's right now!! lol

Based on my experience, for racing you will prefer the TP motor over the Leopard. While I haven’t used it, a number of racers I trust like the big Swordfish ESCs.
    ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    Based on my experience, for racing you will prefer the TP motor over the Leopard. While I haven’t used it, a number of racers I trust like the big Swordfish ESCs.
    Ok cool thanks!!

Of all the Swordfish controllers I have had the 300 has been a bulldog and run well for 8 years. (knock on wood) As long as we are on the subject does anyone know the differences with the newer 300X? Just marketing or a different ESC?
    Leopard or TP, I feel TP has an edge on quality and maybe performance.
    Mic

Mic Halbrehder
    IMPBA 8656
    NAMBA 1414

Quote Originally Posted by HTVboats View Post
    Of all the Swordfish controllers I have had the 300 has been a bulldog and run well for 8 years. (knock on wood) As long as we are on the subject does anyone know the differences with the newer 300X? Just marketing or a different ESC?
    Leopard or TP, I feel TP has an edge on quality and maybe performance.
    Mic
    Thanks Mic!!!