Thread: Stinger or strut?

Default Stinger or strut?

I?ve got a 31? deep-vee mono hull, that originally came with a cheaply made stinger were the bearings let go after 2 runs.
    I rebuilt it, filling the whole stinger strut with (6) 4x7x2.5mm bearings, & using a flange bearing next to the drive dog as a thrust bearing. It lasted all summer, then the back of the stinger strut blew out.
    I only use the boat for enjoyment, haven?t done any club races since the late ?80?s, & that was all nitro models, mono, & O/B tunnel hulls.
    So I decided to at least upgrade to a 3/16? prop shaft, (original is 4mm on .150? flex shaft).
    But I can?t decide if I want to go with another stinger setup or a standard strut.
    Are there any pros/cons between the two?
    Thanks,
    Shadow

Pictures ?

I do nearly all struts. Benefit is up down adjustability. I also like doing the flooded stuffing tube. This way you have up to almost 1/2 inch up down which helps if you champ get water conditions and ibuprofen prop size. For me it’s the supreme flexibility.
    I use Stingers when I know where the hull likes it or I want bling.. they do look better.
    Also, I don’t trust ball bearings, only floating bushings are reliable in submerged settings.
    My dos centavos.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

“Champ”? “Ibuprofen”? Got spellcheck?

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

The strut was easy to tune for the conditions, & your right, bearings don?t last.
    I?ll try & get some pics of the original stinger setup I had before it let loose, & the damage to the ball coupling, stinger & shaft, where the flange bearing ate it.
    Thanks,
    Shadow

Where?s the ?manage attachment? option under the ?Additional options menu??
    It shows me 2 options, neither of which is that.
    I?m trying to show you guys the damage, but this tech stuff ain?t working for me today.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse J View Post
    I do nearly all struts. Benefit is up down adjustability. I also like doing the flooded stuffing tube. This way you have up to almost 1/2 inch up down which helps if you champ get water conditions and ibuprofen prop size. For me it’s the supreme flexibility.
    I use Stingers when I know where the hull likes it or I want bling.. they do look better.
    Also, I don’t trust ball bearings, only floating bushings are reliable in submerged settings.
    My dos centavos.
    Ball bearings is a very good option but they need fine oil after each session.

Newbie question to tag onto this thread: Is there an ideal length of the propeller shaft of a one piece cable? I have the Thunder Tiger Olympian mono-hull boat. The drive system is crap and I am considering a new TFL or Speedmaster stinger and one-piece cable system. The drive cable is .187 - 3/16 prop shaft.

I’d go with Speedmaster because it has some instructions on installing it.

Is the Hull plastic o4 fibreglass?
    Nortavlag Bulc

It is an ABS plastic hull. No chance of the stinger mount using the existing mount holes as they are quite close and the stinger mount bolt pattern is quite a bit larger. I'm not sure of how long the propeller shaft portion of a one-piece flex cable assembly needs to be for any given stinger.

Most propeller shaft portions are indicated in their description. They vary from 2-3/4" 3", and 3-1/8"

https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...ble+Assemblies

It doesn't matter that much for the stinger but if you run an ABC prop the hubs can get very long compared to Octura and most CNC props.

Since it's ABS I would use an inexpensive strut.
    Nortavlag Bulc