Thread: SonicWake 36 ESC

Default SonicWake 36 ESC

Can anyone tell me what they are setting the timing at for using 6s, everything else stock as received ?
    The manual for the Dynamite shows 18.75 degrees, which seems like a big increase over the factory setting for 4s of 7.5 degrees!!
    obviously I don?t have a good understanding of the timing topic
    Advice will be greatly appreciated, as I don?t want to damage anything
    thx

I think timing has to do with the the wind and poles of the motor, not the battery combination used. What exactly are the motor's specs?

All I have is : 1900 kv, 4 pole, brushless
    looking for Wind type

The stock Dynamite 1900Kv motor in the Sonicwake 36 is a D wind. The optimum timing for it is is 7.5 degrees for 4s or 6s. Anything higher will only create excess heat.

Default Sonicwake36 Programming

Quote Originally Posted by Capt'n Crash View Post
    The stock Dynamite 1900Kv motor in the Sonicwake 36 is a D wind. The optimum timing for it is is 7.5 degrees for 4s or 6s. Anything higher will only create excess heat.
    thank you

You are welcome.

Some will tell you that the best timing for a D wind motor is 0 degrees but I was able to confirm with the boat's designer Rafael that the best timing for this particular motor is in fact 7.5 degrees.

I also found the stock 44mm 1.6 pitch prop was a bit too much for this boat on 6s so I opted for a 42mm 1.3 pitch prop that had not been detounged and was very happy with the overall results.

Happy SonicWaking

Anything above 0 timing on a delta is creating heat. This is from Neu motors and not a boat designer.

I have to agree. I have a D wind motor and had the timing at 0. Just for an experiment I tried at 7.5 and everything was so hot - both the ESC and motor. I couldn't hold my finger for more that a few seconds on the ESC. So, stay at 0.

Gentlemen, I agree to disagree but only for this particular motor as it is not made by Neu. I also have a few SSS D wind motors in my FE boats and all are set for 0 degrees timing. Initially I thought 7.5 degrees timing for the stock Dynamite motor was not correct so I set it to 0. I didn't see any difference in RPM or temperature with my temp gun between the two settings but for some reason the boat would go into early LVC on 0 degrees so I set the timing back to 7.5 and the problem went away. Motor temp after a 3 minute 30 second run is about 115F so it's not running hot with the higher timing.

The boat's designer indicated he was getting the optimum timing information from the ESC manufacturer for this particular motor/ESC combination.

For those that wish to read the designers reasons for the 7.5 degree timing you can see my question to him on the subject in post 376 and his response in post 379 over on RC Groups.
    https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ng-mono/page26
    Last edited by Capt'n Crash; 12-13-2020 at 03:57 PM.

it makes no difference who makes the motor. Adding timing advance adds to the load of any motor. it might not always be obvious when you add timing but it's there and increases amp draw however little or big it might be. In that article he says the esc uses 0 timing and advances up to 7.5 if the esc thinks it's ok to. That's auto timing and not the same as setting your esc to 7.5 where it always stays at.
    Last edited by MarkF; 12-14-2020 at 02:28 AM.

Hi Mark. I agree with what you are saying but then why does the stock boat come with the esc default timing set at at 7.5 degrees instead of 0? From what you are saying 0 would be the logical default timing choice. Are Proboat and Hobbywing just wrong about this choice of 7.5 degrees default timing?

Can you comment on using an octura x440/3 ( 40 mm x 1.4 ) on the sonic wake 36 with stock motor and sonic wake 180 esc, dual pick up rudder
    thx again in advance

It says in the article that it uses auto timing that starts out at 0 and adjust up from there to 7.5 Maybe they think there being slick and making your boat faster.

Honestly with out a GPS installed I couldn't visually tell the difference in speed between 0 and 7.5 but marketing is everything these days eh?

Crackers55 the x440/3 is a very good prop for this boat. I tried a Doctorprops 440/3 which is very similar but has less tongue. Much more stable on the water than with stock prop and no overheating with stock single intake rudder.