Thread: Servo rod

Default Servo rod

Whats the best way to put the pushrod through the servo arm hole and how do you decide which hole the rod goes through?

Did you get it done? I can help if not, Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by srislash View Post
    Did you get it done? I can help if not, Shawn
    No I did not, The servo won’t fit inside the groove on the tray, it sits on top.

37FA9C1E-0452-48BF-A7F7-8462D3A60514.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Is there no posts for the servo horns to mount to? You could make some or get a servo mount

Is there no posts for the servo horns to mount to? You could make some or get a servo mount like this- https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...prod=ose-80090

Did you get the boat from OSE ?

Is there no posts for the servo horns to mount to? You could make some or get a servo mount like this- https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...prod=ose-80090

Did you get the boat from OSE ?
    the only issue with using a mount is than the servo sits too high, and yes I got it from OSE.

I have a similar setup in my Cheetah that I modified to get the servo to sit lower so the horn would clear the canopy lip.

IMG_20200131_155416.jpg

The original stock setup has the servo sitting up higher and a single zip tie wrapped around to hold in in place within the tray cutout.
    DJ8.jpg
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by Thegreengiant12 View Post
    the only issue with using a mount is than the servo sits too high, and yes I got it from OSE.
    Ok is that a Hitec 646 servo? If so they are kinda big. Perhaps trim the CF so that the servo fits down within as Ryan here has posted his is/was. And thanks for that Ryan. I’m surprised a regular sized servo does not drop in

Ok is that a Hitec 646 servo? If so they are kinda big. Perhaps trim the CF so that the servo fits down within as Ryan here has posted his is/was. And thanks for that Ryan. I’m surprised a regular sized servo does not drop in
    Yeah it’s a Hitec 646, but if I cut and trim the sides of the servo tray the screws will get in the way that’s the only issue.

Well my suggestion would be to get a smaller servo . Was there no instruction on which size servo to get with the hull?
    It is normal to use a shorty servo in this size catamaran hull for clearance. Such as a Savox 1251. https://www.amainhobbies.com/savox-s...1mg-be/p467063

If you email Steven Vaccaro I’m sure he would help.

Is it a plastic arm or a metal one?

If it is a plastic one you can sharpen a piece of the pushrod you are using, and with it chucked in a rotary tool drill the servo arm out. Use a Z bend in the servo arm end of the pushrod for a slop free linkage.

If it is a metal arm that wont work, but they are much stiffer so you can use a ball joint on the servo arm without the off centre load twisting the arm too much and introducing slop.

My rule of thumb is to put the linkage half as far out on the servo arm than it is on the rudder arm, that halves the throw on the servo which is usually 60 degrees each way to a more manageable 30 degrees each way while doubling the servo's torque to the rudder.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.

Well my suggestion would be to get a smaller servo . Was there no instruction on which size servo to get with the hull?
    It is normal to use a shorty servo in this size catamaran hull for clearance. Such as a Savox 1251. https://www.amainhobbies.com/savox-s...1mg-be/p467063
    If you email Steven Vaccaro I’m sure he would help.
    Thanks I just ordered that one.

Thanks I just ordered that one.
    Let us know how it goes. I’ve never assembled one of these to date

Let us know how it goes. I’ve never assembled one of these to date
    well it fits but The existing slot to zip tie the servo won’t work, maybe I should drill new holes. When I try and line the servo rod up with the horn it’s not straight but on an angle, maybe a different horn will solve this?

well it fits but The existing slot to zip tie the servo won’t work, maybe I should drill new holes. When I try and line the servo rod up with the horn it’s not straight but on an angle, maybe a different horn will solve this?
    Pic?

Quote Originally Posted by NativePaul View Post
    My rule of thumb is to put the linkage half as far out on the servo arm than it is on the rudder arm, that halves the throw on the servo which is usually 60 degrees each way to a more manageable 30 degrees each way while doubling the servo's torque to the rudder.
    I like that idea Paul, thankyou for sharing. I've always wondered where fhe best spot to attach the linkage rod was.