Thread: Dumb battery question.

Default Dumb battery question.

Can someone please explain why it's bad to leave lipo's fully charged. The reason I ask is because of reading, you shouldn't leave them fully charged on the internet. What I read on the web is they shouldn't be left fully charged for more that a couple of days. But the lipo's for my 18v cordless drill I can leave fully charged. Nothing in the booklet about not leaving them fully charged unless they are going to sit for a very long time . In the booklet for my drill only that I shouldn't leave the battery attached to the drill when it's not being used .A lipo is a lipo correct? So what am I missing?

I have often thought the very same thing.

Not a dumb question at all. You must understand that not all “lithium” batteries are the same. Drills and other shop tools usually employ lithium ion cells, not lithium polymer cells like we use in FE boats. They are very different in composition and performance. Always follow the manufactures’ recommendation for maintenance of each type.

https://blog.ravpower.com/2017/06/li...mer-batteries/

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    Not a dumb question at all. You must understand that not all “lithium” batteries are the same. Drills and other shop tools usually employ lithium ion cells, not lithium polymer cells like we use in FE boats. They are very different in composition and performance. Always follow the manufactures’ recommendation for maintenance of each type.

https://blog.ravpower.com/2017/06/li...mer-batteries/

Thank you Fluid for posting this.

Also, there are some smart Lipo batteries, like those in my Phantom drone for example. They have a built in discharger and if you shelf a full charged pack, it will begin to discharge it self over a period of a few days to a safe storage voltage automatically. That's not a feature found in any of the packs we use for FE, you have to stay on top of that task yourself.

Lipo cells form dendrites (like stalagmites and stalactites in a cave, or tree branches) that begin to grow and ultimately short out the cell from the inside. Abuse to the cell, like leaving them in a fully charged state, accelerates that formation.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)