Thread: 1:10 Scale 75 Pay'N Pak completed!

Default 1:10 Scale 75 Pay'N Pak completed!

I just thought I'd share my latest finished build. I'm really happy how it turned out. Some of you may have seen it on Mike McKnight's Facebook page. He did a great job on the graphics for me. It's my COVID 19 fun build as I had more time on my hands since we weren't racing this season. I was going a little nuts and needed something to keep my hands busy, other than household chores. The Winged Wonder is one of my favorite boats of all time and George Henley was one of the first drivers I remember when I was a kid. I met him years later and found him to be one of the nicest guys in hydroplane history. When he passed away, I knew I had to build it. Someone else has had the registration in our club for about seven years, but we don't know if he's ever completed the build. He certainly intended to as of last year, but I havent heard anything since. He's a friend and a club member, so however justified, we don't want to make him forfeit the registration, but he's running out of time and good intentions. Maybe some day I'll be able to register and race it, but it was really built for fun. I'm not sure if it will perform well but I did test it last week for the first time. It was very obvious by design that most of the heavier components of the build are at the rear. It has a rear cockpit and a big wing hanging out over the transom and hardly anything up front. Yep, It wanted to kit on me and I couldn't use full throttle. I think it has potential and it's so cool seeing it on the water but I had to add some lead weight to the front. You can only get so much battery movement in the hull and I had nothing else to move. I'm anxious to go test it again. Even if it doesn't perform great yet, it is still one of the best builds I've enjoyed doing. Sorry, no video of my testing yet, just some stills. Anyway, I hope everyone is staying safe and sane out there. Building boats is great therapy and has helped me through other hard times in the past. After all these years, I still consider this hobby, and the friends I've made in it, a great blessing. Happy Thanksgiving, Happy Holidays and Happy Building everyone!

IMG_4935.jpg IMG_4934.jpg IMG_4953.jpg IMG_4951.jpg IMG_4950.jpg
    Mitch Dillard
    1:10 Scale Hydroplane Enthusiast
    hydroscalecreations.us, email:hydroscale@gmail.com

Is this the Dumas kit ? Would love to see pictures of the drive train and battery placement, as well as some info about the components you used.Beautiful job you did on what I feel is the best looking unlimited of all time. Thanks for sharing.

Lookin good Mitch. Is the boat wood or glass? I'm still in as a sponsor next year if the club gets to race.
    Leonard

Much thanks guys. It is scratch built boat from foam and aircraft plywood mainly. I built it from reduced Newton Marine plans with a few modifications to the bottom to increase the sponson angle and deepen them a little so they work better for 1:10 scale. The cowlings and modified dummy Merlin engine are vacuum formed plastic from plugs I made, see hydroscalecreations.us. I set it up with a Himax 3630-1500 motor I had and run a 1/8" straight shaft with a 3/16" stub shaft of about 3" at the strut, supported by about a 3" brass bushing in the stuffing box. The motor end is supported by a 1/8" ID Lead Teflon bushing/sleeve bearing. I run this driveline setup in all of my boats now and it's been working out well. I had started breaking the 1/8" shafts when I started using props with more rake. They create so much more metal stress at the strut, so the stub shaft in the longer bushing was the solution to giving much more support to the driveline end. It smoothed out the vibration too and made it more efficient too. I use a Turnigy Marine 120 ESC in my boats too. They're relatively inexpensive and do a great job. I still like the basic Etti motor mounts and the Flex hex 5mm to .130 motor coupler and the Speedmaster Mini rudder. I make my own stuffing box/strut setup from brass tubing and my own skid fin bracket and blade from L aluminum and 1/16" stainless steel respectively. I use a standard Traxxas rudder servo and a 3D printed servo mount I found online. The radio gear is Futaba. That's about it for the boat workings. I'll see if I can get some internal shots posted soon.
    Mitch Dillard

Might just be one of your best looking builds Mitch.
    "Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone except God.
    Billy Graham

Looks amazing! I'm in the early stages of building the turbine version in the same scale, and it's my first build, so I'd appreciated any internal photos you'd be happy to post.

Nice boat Mitch, what do you use for coupler of straight shaft to 3/16 stub shaft?

Sorry for the delay in replying. I don't couple them at all. I use the full length of 1/8" shaft and a piece of 3/16 OD stainless tubing with approx. 1/8" ID made by K&S. I just cut about a 2 1/2 - 3" piece and slide it all the way on to the 1/8" shaft and use the green lock-tite to hold it in place. It hasn't failed me yet and it solved my problem breaking off shafts and props at the back of the strut.
    Mitch Dillard

Where are the 1/8th inch shafts from? Any details on the "3/16" bushing" would be cool to see. Does the drive dog bite onto the stainless or go thru to the 1/8" shaft? Thanks

I'd be real interested in seeing some pics of the setup and the strut angle...

Billy Graham

Wow Thanks Jim appreciate the great pics. I've got to make the trip out to the northwest... But now, I have more inquiries. So its a carbon fiber stuffing box and has bushings or bearings in the strut? Seems like a deep angle on the driveshaft, hows it run? I like all the custom hardware too. Great work. So also notice the cooled brushes and what type of water jacket is on the motor? Looks like a fabric of sorts? very interesting build. Good looking boat too. Thanks for the pic - Chris

these are old pics but I still like the setup for the shaft. There are bearings at each end and also one in the middle. At that time wew ere running brushed motors hence the brush coolers.
    Billy Graham