Thread: 2x Atlantic challengers

Default 2x Atlantic challengers

Well as some know - I've had one Atlantic challenger for some maybe 15 years now..

I haven't used it in a few years as after converting to brushless, one belt snapped and it was impossible to find a replacement;

anyhow I decided to convert it to direct drive with some spare parts I had, they do come up rarely on eBay and 2 so far this year have appeared - I bought the first one got, messed around by the seller a few months back and then this turned up - despite having to curb spending due to industry being in tatters from covid, I had to have it.

it was pretty rough, it looked like it had been touched up in areas with exterior masonry paint but I did a lot of sanding and got a good outcome, it's been bashed about but I've managed to fix it up pretty good - but it's what I wanted, a boat I won't be scared of something happening to, they are pretty delicate things.

I removed the original belt drive I'd snapped on my boat and will return my boat to original - 700 BB turbo motors, and esc's which I have in a box still, it will become a static display in my study.

the new boat has the neu motors and other stuff I bought to convert to direct drive - I slightly miscalculated on the alignment (Water jackets won't fit) but im hoping with 40mm water jets and 3s Lipo it won't cause too much heat build up.

and the conversion - still to install battery mounts but will start with 3s 5000mah packs and move up to high capacity cells once it's all working for a longer run time.

Hpr 06 / 09 / 150 /185, Mhz Skater H45 hydro.
    Uk SAW record holder

Also - the motors aren't water cooled as I couldn't get them to line up correctly with my motor mounting solution

but it's a very lightweight boat - 2x 1521 1y on 3s I think should manage without heating up too much.
    Uk SAW record holder

Nice, I think those motors will get warm running jet drives but it’s worth a try. Necessity is the mother of invention. I’m sure cooling could be figured out.

But those are so cool

My thoughts are, (could be completely wrong) rc car's don't have water cooling, its a wide open hull with plenty air flow so im hoping to get away without it but ill just run, monitor temps and go from there.
    Uk SAW record holder

Quote Originally Posted by vvviivvv View Post
    My thoughts are, (could be completely wrong) rc car's don't have water cooling, its a wide open hull with plenty air flow so im hoping to get away without it but ill just run, monitor temps and go from there.
    Yeah that is best. Actually now that I think of it the wife?s boat runs 1600 kv on 2s and barely needs cooling. It?s a put put mahogany boat but 41?.

Yeah, this is approx 51" and of very light / thin / flexible construction. ambient temps in the uk are pretty low now anyway so ill just see how it goes, if I do go big packs 10,000mah long run times, ill look into cooling.

I plan to get some video of it doing a long run on a 3 mile lake with my Mavic drone, just have to wait for good weather and end of lockdown. (have a chase boat)
    Uk SAW record holder

Beauties
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Managed some run time today, have a slight issue in that it always pulls to the left, requires constant steering to correct it... not sure what's going on other than one motor is spinning faster so will check basics like esc setup. speed was 24mph max... which for a 1.3m scale boat I think is enough. motors just start to get warm despite not being cooled and esc remained cool.
    Uk SAW record holder