Thread: MHZ Alligator 1250mm 49" outboard build

Default MHZ Alligator 1250mm 49" outboard build

After getting my twin XCAT and outboards I just had to make a vee hull with an outboard. So I contacted MHZ about 3 different hulls that could take their outboard and I landed on this one. They said that they haven't tried an outboard on this hull so let's see what happens?!

Setup:
    MHZ 1/5 scale outboard 1/4" drive
    5692 leopard 730kv
    2x6s wired in series for 12s 8000 mah total
    50mm prop to start but have a 60mm on hand
    Promodeler 630 oz servo running on 2s lipo
    ZTW 300 amp esc (eventhough I had some issues calibrating them)

Question:
    How high should i mount the drive above the bottom of the hull. I feel like it shouldn't be level with the bottom since i don't want chin walk. Any suggestions?

Anybody reccomend a cowl lock that would fit? I plan on running this in rough water from time to time. I will also tape the hatch as well.
    24 R/C vehicles and still counting...What budget?

Some pics for inspiration. The girlfriend did some modeling for me lol 20201114_165545.jpg20201114_165752.jpg20201114_151943.jpg

I like the hull...any photos of the bottom. As for the motor, I'm still new to FE, but the hull-to-motor scale looks wrong to me. I'm not saying it's "wrong" (after all, the hull is within the length MHZ specifies for the outboard)...but, visually, comparing the outboard to the 'windows' on the canopy, they just seen way out of scale to reach other. If that's a 1/5 outboard housing, then, visually, something closer to 1/6-1/7 would, visually, appear more accurate. Again, still somewhat new to FE, so what do I know. Either way, I still really like the hull.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    I like the hull...any photos of the bottom. As for the motor, I'm still new to FE, but the hull-to-motor scale looks wrong to me. I'm not saying it's "wrong" (after all, the hull is within the length MHZ specifies for the outboard)...but, visually, comparing the outboard to the 'windows' on the canopy, they just seen way out of scale to reach other. If that's a 1/5 outboard housing, then, visually, something closer to 1/6-1/7 would, visually, appear more accurate. Again, still somewhat new to FE, so what do I know. Either way, I still really like the hull.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    I know what you mean about the size of a hull vs the size of the outboard. It looks like it's out of proportion. On the flip side though at least it doesn't look like the outboard is too small for the hull I'm not a fan of that. Kind of makes it look overpowered. Here is a pic of the bottom.20201115_112247.jpg

Thanks. I want sure if the hull was stepped, or not...can now see it's not a stepped hull. Although I haven't actually built my first boat (all current boats were RTR or ARTR), which will be a twin-posted H&M Drifter Micro (I figured it might be best to start with a small...TRULY small...build, and then build something bigger (maybe much bigger). So, I'm already starting the research.

Well since my xcat is out of comission due to blown gears. I worked on this build the whole week and got it ready for the maiden run, I just got to mount the rx fill the out board with oil and find some spacers for the prop. I'm going to start with a 50mm which is way to small in my opinion but hey we will see. I have a 60 mm on hand. I am also only running the motor at 75% max throttle since my xcat blew. 20201125_165135.jpg20201125_210027.jpg20201125_210056.jpg20201125_210124.jpg16064842923915430628297443683906.jpg

I ran it a few times this weekend and it runs great! I hit 50 mph on the 50mm prop at 100% throttle. It did chine walk pretty bad though so I think trim tabs will help with that since I have the motor as far up as I can go. At the 60% throttle the boat runs smooth at 35mph which is not fast enough for me. I slapped the 60mm prop and left the throttle at 60% and the speed increased to 41mph! Now we are getting somewhere. I did have a problem though. The esc started to cut on and off at random points. I put the 50mm prop on and it went away. I am not sure what caused this. The esc was cool to the touch and so were the batteries. I think I need to remove the lvc on the esc and try again. Any thoughts on why the esc would do this? I am running the ZTW 300 amp.

Beautiful hull, congrats !

I don' t think that one motor will be enought.
    I' m building a MMP TITUS (50"), setup is 2 x TPPower 4060 : 40mm x 92mm 1100kV, 3 x 8S batteries in parallel.

I have heard that this motor will push a hull this size. The outboard does reduce the prop speed just a bit due to the lower gear ratio. I think some tweaking is in order. What props are you running?

I didn' t choose the propellers, same for flex shafts, 3/16, 1/4 or 1/4 stepped down to 3/16? I choose a twin setup with high quality motors TPPower 4060 (40mm x 92mm) , 32600 RPM unload x 2.

Have a look to this mono-motor setup : https://www.powerboats.cz/en/boats/m...-powerboats-cz

PS : I don' t understand the outboard motor, because high C.O.G, power lost in the outboard unit ... but 32400 RPM unload look good to me.
    Last edited by Alfa Spirit; 12-01-2020 at 09:00 PM.

That boat looks good! I just like the look of an outboard that's all

Ok, I understand. Have in mind that your ennemy is the weight, good luck.