Thread: Delta Force Vortex 34 build info?

Default Delta Force Vortex 34 build info?

Hello all, great to find this forum. I've been out of the boat hobby for over ten years and boy has it changed.
    I used to run the gasoline and some nitro deep vee's and cats but never a hydro.
    I've been flying the heli's and planes all this time in gas, glow, and electric and the boat bug sort of hit all of a sudden.

My questions are for the Delta Force Vortex 34" hydro from OSE. https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...d=df-vortex-34

I would like to know if it would be possible to run it on single 6s packs in the 3500 to 5000 mAh ranges?
    I'm thinking of the Ose Leopard 4082 1600Kv X2 motor & Seaking 180 Version 3 Esc. package.
    https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...artan-Combo-v3

Basically looking for tips or info on a great running, fast, dependable setup for this hull. I don't compete or race just mess around on the river.

Also what size of props should I be looking at for this hull depending on the setup on 6s?
    What sort of run times can be expected?

Are there any other hulls out there that you would suggest for a 6s single motor setup?

Thanks for any tips or suggestions.
    Chris

welcome to the forum!

First curiosity is why a single pack?
    I like 2p setups mainly to take it easier on the electronics. If you ran 2 4000 packs in parallel, with that motor and a 447 prop, depending on strut depth and ride of the boat, should give you 3-5 min run time. Speed and run time are inversely correlated. If 40mph is ok, then a 445 prop or smaller may give you a few more minutes.
    Give us a few pics of your set up and we can help you better. Most importantly a side shot showing strut height.
    Glad to have you with us!
    Jesse
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

I just finished building a Delta Force Pirate 35" mono hull. My first build. I had similar questions as you do. My advice is use two packs in a series, NOT parallel (ex.2x 3S to get the voltage of 6S) in the 4000-5000Mah range to get some reasonable run time. Keep in mind the Kv choice for the Leopard motors. I recommend the slightly smaller Leopard 4074 (it also comes as a combo with the Seaking 180A ESC). It is less power hungry, and still plenty fast. Keep in mind the formula for the RPM target range - with a 1600KV on a 6S you will be around 35,000 RPMs, this is more like racing. Kv times Voltage gives you the RPMs. You could run a 4S with two 2S 5000Mah packs instead of 6S, just another option to consider. If you go with 6S, make sure you get anti spark connectors for your batteries and ESC (such as AS150, this is what I have now) or you'll get a nasty spark each time you connect the batteries to your boat. With 4S you won't need them, since the voltage is lower and there is no spark. I hope this helps.
    Last edited by Nick1979; 11-16-2020 at 11:48 PM.

Thanks for the tips guy's. I am still learning and trying to decide which system to go with.

Cool

I can?t understand what the above poster means when he recommends not using parallel packs. Paralleling packs increases run time and reduces stress on the ESC. An rather odd comment.

I built and raced a DF34 hydro, so I know a bit about this particular hull - not a slower mono. If the OP just wants speed then 6S and his 4082 motor are good choices. The larger motor doesn?t ?draw more amps? if propped accordingly, but it is more reliable by handling heat much better. For the same speed the amp draw is much less than with 4S and he can run a total of 5000-6000 mAh for decent run times. (BTW, sparks never scared me, even with 10S setups.) By propping up he can go faster, although this hull has a lot of lift and can?t run as fast as some other hulls if staying on the water is important.

If the OP wants to race then this is a 4S hull - nothing wrong with that, 4S will easily drive the boat fast enough to be unstable. My racing setup was:

TP 4060/1950 motor
    Castle ICE200 ESC
    4S2P Roaring Top 5000mAh packs
    ABC 2015/17* prop

This isn?t the only way to rig the boat, but it worked for me. He could go with a 4S1P setup for less weight....but with the lift this hull has - weight is your friend. He will actually be able to go faster with 2P, the hull has plenty of room. Below is a pic of my hull before decoration, the packs are in the sponsons. Keeping the weight forward is important with this hull.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Thanks for the info Fluid.
    Yeah I didn't see why I couldn't run a single 6 as I was just more concerned of how large of a battery that hull would accept.
    I would just like to be able to use all the 6 cell packs I have for my helicopters which range in size from 3300s on up to 5000s.
    I have not purchased the boat or hardware yet but I did Order the new Futaba 7PXR. ��

You’ll want a single 6S with the most capacity as far forward as possible, perhaps crosswise against the front if the packs aren’t too high. Or lengthwise pushed far into the front “cockpit”. Or you could use two 3300s in parallel set lengthwise on the tunnel floor, again as far forward as possible. There’s more than one way to skin any cat...

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

What size turn fin for that hull

Very nice hydro, you can run 6S and 1800kV motor.

Quote Originally Posted by rogert View Post
    What size turn fin for that hull

This may help. I just did what seemed reasonable on the V34 using a rather large Insane Gas/Nitro bracket (and had to grind the bracket smaller to get it to fit). Figured the heavy weight of the boat RtR would need some substantial holding power at WOT in the turn.

https://www.insaneboats.com/product/...agger-turn-fin

https://www.insaneboats.com/product/...rn-fin-bracket

fin.jpg bracket.jpg

fin on df34.jpg

Also here's some quality fins : https://www.mojoracingproducts.com/c...oat-turn-fiins

Build thread https://forums.offshoreelectrics.com...light=vortex34

Partial throttle windy/choppy trial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=853-RVqBN74
    Last edited by properchopper; 06-21-2021 at 04:14 PM.
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Hi Jay, do you mind sharing how to secure the lipo if place at the sponson? Thanks.