Thread: H&M mono torque roll

Default H&M mono torque roll

Just wondering if anyone could advise, I have a fairly well dialled in no step 4,

setup is 3060, 10s, 40.160, S235 prop and speeds are 80-85mph (gps'd at 79.5 on a small lake) the boat has a tendency to roll a lot under full beans, is it just a limitation of the hull or should I be able to trim it out?

here is a few pics for people to sink there teeth into

It's a fairly heavy boat, well reinforced I checked the obvious like the rudder linkages etc. I've never ran a fast mono so could do with some pointers.

Hpr 06 / 09 / 150 /185, Mhz Skater H45 hydro.
    Uk SAW record holder

How sharp is the prop? Detonguing the blades might help a bit.
    You can bias the weight (packs) to the left so it sits slightly deeper on that side.
    Lower the inner right trim tab slightly (or more), the outer tab is missing its adjustment screw, a bad thing on a fast boat.
    Raising the whole stinger can help especially if there is much chine walk.
    Which 3060 motor?
    What cells? 10S2P?

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Prop is pretty sharp, I have a 457 cut to 52mm I can try which is fresh from andy b,

I don?t actually use it for oval, just playing around, will run it for saw if the uk ever has a event with a big lake..

3060/7, 1000kv

The boat is only 1 meter long so really not much space for moving the packs around 10s1p sls quantum 65c

The screw is actually still there, it?s just snapped, it keeps the trim tab in place but can?t be adjusted seized in place..

I will try what you?ve suggested with the stinger

Have a few props to try now, all fair bit bigger just with this lockdown we are having its not the easiest for testing.

Have x457 cut to 52mm, X457, 460, 460/3 S255 all to try...
    Uk SAW record holder

Quote Originally Posted by vvviivvv View Post
    Have a few props to try now, all fair bit bigger just with this lockdown we are having its not the easiest for testing.

Have x457 cut to 52mm, X457, 460, 460/3 S255 all to try...
    My pal Andy always said the torque roll is ok if the hull settles back out in 3seconds from take off. How does yours fair on that advice?

I'm a complete novice at mono hulls in this speed range - so without trying to sound too stupid,

It's fine in flat calm water but even a slight ripple could be passing over it's own wake will unsettle it and set the torque rolling, normally because of the lake size and the speed of the thing 75mph+ I don't have another 3 seconds to keep it planted...

maybe it's not torque rolling im experiencing? I do know the fast mono's over in Germany 90+ don't have a ride pad at all...
    Uk SAW record holder

Maybe the OP is talking about chine walking.

Quote Originally Posted by bhorowitz View Post
    Maybe the OP is talking about chine walking.
    Sure sounds like it. I have a DF 35” that used to be like that till I raised the prop/strut and put the tabs to work. It was fast as heck but uncontrollable all the way to point of submarine dives, lol.

Indeed, Chine walking sounds more likely, the boat is absolutely fine at full pelt in a flat calm, just gets unsettled (knocked off its ride pad) and it's all over,

Best thing to start is raising the strut then? I'm going to try and run tomorrow, X457 prop instead of S235 and will move up from that depending on how it behaves.
    Uk SAW record holder

Quote Originally Posted by vvviivvv View Post
    Indeed, Chine walking sounds more likely, the boat is absolutely fine at full pelt in a flat calm, just gets unsettled (knocked off its ride pad) and it's all over,

Best thing to start is raising the strut then? I'm going to try and run tomorrow, X457 prop instead of S235 and will move up from that depending on how it behaves.
    Well, how did the props do? And yes if you raise the strut then you effectively get a little more Hull in the water and it will get more stable. So bigger prop=less hull in water

Unfortunately with UK being back in lockdown I haven't had a chance to give it a run, my big lake i normally run is close to my holiday home and until dec 2 we aren't allowed to visit holiday homes.. weather has been typically British also.
    Uk SAW record holder

While your waiting for covid and weather check out ABC props. I run 2515-17-45 for a T mono. 10s2p. The octura x450 is a lifting prop. ABC are not, Should allow your boat to settle in the water.

Quote Originally Posted by jaike5 View Post
    While your waiting for covid and weather check out ABC props. I run 2515-17-45 for a T mono. 10s2p. The octura x450 is a lifting prop. ABC are not, Should allow your boat to settle in the water.
    What is the KV on the motor when you run the ABC prop?

Its LMT 3080/7T 750kv, 44" DF snipper.

got a run in today, we are basically back to a country wide lockdown... didn't like a s255 prop very much, all over the place and crashed at about 60mph,

few weeks ago I ran 82mph with only a little wobble on a x457

anyway poor video from shoreline of x457 - note the swimmer, im out on the zodiac
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgTwKg4KWXI

and go pro from today with the s255, didn't change strut height for this.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Nj8DJt9QTA
    Uk SAW record holder

Well part of your problem is your turning left. Boats only turn right because of prop torque. Make right hand ovals only and it will drive better.

Yeah, it's setup really to turn both ways, I got another run in a few days ago and got 81mph again, I think a trim tab was bent from that previous crash I hadn't noticed.

It doesn't like the S255 prop, went back to 457 and runs fine again. GoPro kept cutting out after 1 min but here is the start of the run anyway, I got a few high speed passes on the glass water, it then took a tumble and ripped it's hatch mount out a little bit, no real damage really.

Heres the video with the 457 back on (currently uploading)
    Uk SAW record holder

Both ways means you let off on the throttle a little before turning left. Your not suppose to turn left at full throttle. It kicks out the back end of the boat which you already know now.

Tbh, it's my first fast mono, and jumping in with a 80+ boat is a quick learning curve.

the issue is the chime walk, it's handling in corners is great.

boats better on x457, it's going to be a few months till I can test again unfortunately.
    Uk SAW record holder