Thread: TFL Zonda 41" Cat

Thumbs down TFL Zonda 41" Cat

To everyone being told that the TFL Zonda Rc boat is a good boat and will run 113mph out of the box, is being told a lie!!!! I bought 2 of these pieces of crap boats!!!! The hardware on the boat strips out, it runs in reverse and if you try to go fast above 70 you will melt your ESC's and motors. This happened in both boats!!!! 5 minutes apart!!!! So, the MR. MADMAN guy on youtube, who tells you buy this boat, stay away!!!! SPEND your MONEY wisely!!! Talk to Bill Oxidean, great guy!!! He will set you up with a very high quality Rc Boat...
    His knowledge and the numerous speed records he has collected along with his passion will always have your back!!!!
    So, stay away from these Bangood TFL Zonda 41" pieces of crap!!!

Last edited by Surfertroy; 11-04-2020 at 12:42 AM.

I bought the boat and have gone over 70 with no melting. It went in reverse for a bit, then I read through the instructions and everything works fine. I did change out the props and the rudder (dual cooling) but everything else is the same as I came from China.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I might be remembering incorrectly...but, if memory serves me right, Oxidean Marine boats ARE TFL boats. They come out of the same factory, they use the same CF hulls, they contain mostly the same components...but, with Oxidean Marine, you're paying a much higher price, busy to get his "fancy" holographic graphics.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Oxidean Marine hulls are made by DYmotorshop.com and can be purchased directly from them.
    Vac-U-Tug Jr (13mph)

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    Oxidean Marine hulls are made by DYmotorshop.com and can be purchased directly from them.
    As I said, "if memory serves me"...which, this time, it didn't. But, at the same time, I just remembered, it's ProMarine who has (or, should I say, "had") they're hulls made by TFL...although, made to ProMarine's specs, not TFL's specs. As for Oxidean Marine, still overpriced.

I can't say anything about Bill, as I've never met him...but, there has been a LOT of bad/negative things written about him. At the same time, not that I'm included to believe what's been written is true, or lies...I make no assumptions in either direction.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Quote Originally Posted by Surfertroy View Post
    To everyone being told that the TFL Zonda Rc boat is a good boat and will run 113mph out of the box, is being told a lie!!!! I bought 2 of these pieces of crap boats!!!! The hardware on the boat strips out, it runs in reverse and if you try to go fast above 70 you will melt your ESC's and motors. This happened in both boats!!!! 5 minutes apart!!!! So, the MADMAN guy on youtube, who tells you buy this boat, stay away!!!! SEND your MONEY wisely!!! Talk to Bill Oxidean, great guy!!! He will set you up with a very high quality Rc Boat...
    His knowledge and the numerous speed records he has collected along with his passion will always have your back!!!!

ROFL Wow really. He never said he ran 113 out of the box. His first run with the Zonda was 60-70mph range . Yes he said the boat was mostly stock accept for the Dasboata props when he made the higher speed passes. I think he probably changed to 1 piece flex shafts and I think he also changed motor timing. I think you took everything he said to literally.
    He has a lot of experience making high speed passes . He doesn't tell all his secrets to how he gets there.

I also picked up one of these Zondas. I haven't had it out yet to see how fast I can get it to go. But I do have a couple sets of props 1 set similar to what he made his 113 mph run on. I'm not about to kid myself thinking I will go that fast . But I have made sure to upgrade my cooling and also have another set of esc's(180s) incase I burn the 120's down.

Both my Zondas burned up everything, including both receivers!!! They are JUNK!!!!!

Both my Zondas burned up everything, including both receivers!!! They are JUNK!!!!!
    Thank you for that info. I had been considering getting one, but I'm 99% certain I won't be. Will have to look for something else is similar size, with a hull from a different manufacturers.

Where's the pictures of the burned up boats? And If I spent that much money and this happened I think I would be contacting Bangood to get my money back.
    If you bought them from Bangood they didn't come with Transmitter or receivers . At least I know mine didn't. I don't understand how it would burn up a receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by 1coopgt View Post
    I don't understand how it would burn up a receiver.
    If the RX was placed next to an ESC, or motor, I could see it happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    If the RX was placed next to an ESC, or motor, I could see it happening.

IMG_20200822_192446.jpg

In the manual they suggest mounting the receiver where I drew the red square. I velcro'ed mine to the right of the red square up under the deck.

I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. I just don't understand How he burned up 2 boats with in 5 minutes of each other .

Quote Originally Posted by 1coopgt View Post
    I just don't understand How he burned up 2 boats with in 5 minutes of each other .
    Quite a few words come to mind...a few that kind be considered "general purpose", but most of which are more on the 'negative' side...however, trying to remain civil, I'll refrain from starting what these words might be.

A couple of things here guys.
    TFL is the only company that makes the Zonda. DY Motor shop are an on seller for them just like Banggood and other on sellers.
    Other hulls that DY Motorshop sell are also from TFL.
    I built up their 33" hull for racing, and called it the 'Maverick'. This was well before Oxidean started selling them as the Dominator. But it is a TFL hull.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-Fiber-33-Mono

As for the receiver getting burnt up when a motor & ESC detonates? Yes it can happen. And has happened to me.
    When a motor is overloaded to the extent that the windings short out, it creates a dead short across the 3 phases of the ESC.
    That creates a huge amp draw that blows the ESC.
    During that explosion the BEC can fry & allow the full battery voltage to travel to the receiver.
    That quickly blows the receiver electronics, and usually the lead to the ESC too.
    This all happens in well less than a second.
    Been there. Done that. Got the T-Shirt.

As to why the boats blew up?
    We need more information.
    What was the depth of the struts in relation to the sponson bottoms at the time?
    If they are too low, the props will be too low in the water & cause the motors to pull a hell of a lot of amps.
    Was the driving style a lot of stopping and starting? Or long fluid laps maintainig full speed in the turns?
    Was the boat running wet? Or well aired out? Running too wet will also dramaticaly increase the amp draw
    What battery type, MAH rating, & C rating?
    Did you grease the flex cables before you started the runs.
    Was one of the red wires in the leads from the ESC's disconnected to prevent both BEC's powering the receiver?
    It might have done it in the Y harness.
    That should have been done at the factory, but should always be checked in a twin drive boat.
    A combination a just a couple, or a few of the above items, can always create a catastrophe.
    Last edited by 785boats; 11-07-2020 at 12:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 785boats View Post
    A couple of things here guys.
    TFL is the only company that makes the Zonda. DY Motor shop are an on seller for them just like Banggood and other on sellers.
    Other hulls that DY Motorshop sell are also from TFL.
    I built up their 33" hull for racing, and called it the 'Maverick'. This was well before Oxidean started selling them as the Dominator. But it is a TFL hull.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-Fiber-33-Mono

As for the receiver getting burnt up when a motor & ESC detonates? Yes it can happen. And has happened to me.
    When a motor is overloaded to the extent that the windings short out, it creates a dead short across the 3 phases of the ESC.
    That creates a huge amp draw that blows the ESC.
    During that explosion the BEC can fry & allow the full battery voltage to travel to the receiver.
    That quickly blows the receiver electronics, and usually the lead to the ESC too.
    This all happens in well less than a second.
    Been there. Done that. Got the T-Shirt.

As to why the boats blew up?
    We need more information.
    What was the depth of the struts in relation to the sponson bottoms at the time?
    If they are too low, the props will be too low in the water & cause the motors to pull a hell of a lot of amps.
    Was the driving style a lot of stopping and starting? Or long fluid laps maintainig full speed in the turns?
    Was the boat running wet? Or well aired out? Running too wet will also dramaticaly increase the amp draw
    What battery type, MAH rating, & C rating?
    Did you grease the flex cables before you started the runs.
    Was one of the red wires in the leads from the ESC's disconnected to prevent both BEC's powering the receiver?
    It might have done it in the Y harness.
    That should have been done at the factory, but should always be checked in a twin drive boat.
    A combination a just a couple, or a few of the above items, can always create a catastrophe.
    Thank you for the explanation. As I've still got a lot to learn this is very helpful. Also this makes me want to double check the wires coming from my ESC's on the Zonda to make sure one of the red wires is cut .

Quote Originally Posted by fweasel View Post
    As 785boats confirmed, the hulls for Oxidean Marine boats ARE from TFL. Bill may very well get the hulls from DY, but DY doesn't actually manufacture them...DY gets the hulls from TFL. In finding the address for DYmotirshop, which I had assumed was a U.S. address...it's not (they're located in Hong Kong)...a thought occurred to me.

I wonder if TFL & Dy motor are actually the same company, doing business under two different names. I can't 'prove' it...but, only because I can't find the address for TFL Hobby (aka Tian Foo Lung). It's not unheard of for a business trip operates under more than one name. Even here in the U.S., it's fairly common (you see them using "dba", providing both business names).

Anyway, the primary point is, Oxidean Marine DOES use TFL hulls for their boats.

Give me a boat and I can burn it up. To big of props, running it wide open all the time, battery's explode. Its really not that hard. If someone burn 2 TFL Zondas down I would venture to say he was doing something wrong.

I don?t understand how he burnt everything but the batteries???

Quote Originally Posted by Gottagobig1198 View Post
    I don?t understand how he burnt everything but the batteries???
    Must have had the lipos inside fireproof bags inside the boats. Instead of "containing for within", they'd have "kept the fire out"..lol

Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

To everyone being told that the TFL Zonda Rc boat is a good boat and will run 113mph out of the box, is being told a lie!!!! I bought 2 of these pieces of crap boats!!!! The hardware on the boat strips out, it runs in reverse and if you try to go fast above 70 you will melt your ESC's and motors. This happened in both boats!!!! 5 minutes apart!!!! So, the MR. MADMAN guy on youtube, who tells you buy this boat, stay away!!!! SPEND your MONEY wisely!!! Talk to Bill Oxidean, great guy!!! He will set you up with a very high quality Rc Boat...

Looks like Bill might have found his way back on this forum.

Nothing to see here. This is a necro discussion from 4 years ago dragged back out by someone