Thread: DF Pirate 35 build - need advice

Default DF Pirate 35 build

This is going to be my first build with my 7 year old son. We already have a few nice RTR boats and love the hobby!

Thanks to those who answered my questions. Rather than starting a new thread, I would like to use my original post to show the building process of the Pirate 35".
    Last edited by Nick1979; 11-13-2020 at 11:48 AM.

Based on your goals, IMO the best setup is 6S2P with a 40x92/~1200 Kv motor. Less voltage will draw far too many amps for that size hull. As far as handling, that depends on the height of the strut and the turn fins used. Not sure what you mean by “flapping”.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Thank you, I will consider your advice for a motor. I've seen on Youtube very fast boats where they bounce around and flap on straight runs, almost to the brink of loosing control. I thought they were pushed too far for speed and sacrificed good handling in the water. I do not want that for mine.

I still don’t know what “flapping” means. Is it chine walk where the boat rocks from side to side, or is it a pitching up and down?

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Due to the lack of proper terminology, as I am still learning, I meant up and down.
    From what I understand, there are two possible combinations to achieve the desired RPM range - a higher voltage battery set up (6s, for example) with a lower KV motor, or a lower voltage battery with a higher KV motor. In the case of the Pirate 35" hull, should a 4s2p battery combo with a higher KV motor be even considered? What are the advantages and disadvantages of these two possible set ups? Run time, higher amp draw, weight, something else? I am genuinely trying to educate myself here.

I am looking at a few options, all for 6S2P: Leopard 4074 1400KV for ~31K rpms. Or the 1250KV for ~27K RPMs. OSE recommended to me the Leopard 4082 X2 1600KV ~35K RPMs. Wouldn't this be a bit too much? All options with the Seaking 180A. Is there anything in between that I should consider as I am ready to get those parts. What combination will provide lower amps and longer run time with decent speed?
    Thanks,
    Nick
    Last edited by Nick1979; 11-02-2020 at 09:18 PM.

Nick, there are oodles of threads like this one on this forum.. probably why you aren’t getting lots of input. Try doing some advanced searches and see how much is out there on these questions.
    The short answer to all your questions is: it depends.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet