Thread: Tipping Sonicwake

Default Tipping Sonicwake

Hi,
    I just got a Sonicwake (the $800 version) and when I put it in the water it leans to port.
    This was before I even ran it. It does get up and run fine but doesn't sit right.
    Can anyone tell me what causes this?
    Thanks

That’s because the self righting flood chamber is on that side. As soon as you give it power and get on a plane the chamber empties and runs level. When you slow down or stop it will flood again and list to port.

I'm still trying to figure out what the "$800 version" is. Even the OSE upgraded version is only $450. I've searched online, and can't find any listing the SonicWake for a higher price.

As for the listing to port when not moving, to it's don't exactly what is supposed to...nothing is wrong.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

I'm sorry, you're right, $400. I bought 2 so the $800 was on my mind.

I could understand that except I have two and only one of them does that. I really want to make sure it's not an issue and wait too long so that it's harder to return.
    So you're telling me that this is common on all of them?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kernal View Post
    I could understand that except I have two and only one of them does that. I really want to make sure it's not an issue and wait too long so that it's harder to return.
    So you're telling me that this is common on all of them?
    Thanks
    Here's a test for you: Place both boats in the water WITHOUT any batteries (obviously, do it in a way that they won't float away), and see if they list identically. What I'm suspecting (since you stated only one lists) is that it had to do with where you placed the batteries. If the batteries are closer to the flood chamber, it will list more...and, if the batteries are further from the flood chamber, it will be more upright. Best thing for keeping the batteries in-place (especially when the boat flips) is to add Velcro to the battery tray, and batteries. If using traditional Velcro, place the 'soft' side on the batteries, and 'hard' side on the battery tray. If using Scotch Fastener tape, it doesn't matter, as it "grips" to itself (ie. both 'sides' are identical).

However...BIG WARNING coming...when actually running the boat, you don't want the batteries to far from the flood chamber, as that would defeat the purpose of the self-righting feature. The self-righting feature relies on a port-biased port-starboard balance, meaning that the port side NEEDS to be slightly heavier than the starboard side, as that's what allows the port side to sit lower in the water (right-side up, as well as upside-down).

To prove this, strap on a battery as close as you can to the flood chamber in one boat, and as far from the flood chamber in the other boat. Then, place both boats in water upside-down, and see how long it takes them to flip right-side up. When the battery is close to the flood chamber, righting itself occurs fairly quickly (usually 5-10 seconds). When the battery is further away, not only does righting itself take longer, it is possible that the self-righting feature will fail, and the boat will remain upside-down.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

I found it a bit hard to get used to but yes listing to the side of the flood chamber IS normal when not under power.