Thread: Dumas DV 60 gets a new lease on life

Default Dumas DV 60 gets a new lease on life

There might be a few of you out there that have an old Dumas DV 60 laying around in your stable. It might be time to upgrade them to electric if you have the time. Mine is from my dad and he built it back in the 70's to compete with my grandfather's DV40. It was epoxy painted with a submerged drive powered by a K&B .61 nitro engine with a water cooled head and added scoop vent for extra cooling. It was good for about 40mph in smooth water and a blast jumping boat wakes.

9 years ago I tore it apart to repaint it since I had just gotten into airbrushing. The paint job turned out pretty good, but I ran out of time to put the nitro engine back into it. It sat until this summer.
    CIMG3710.jpg

The past year I completed 4 electric builds including this one. 3 of these builds were gas/nitro to electric conversions this one being the latest. It's running a 800kv 4090 rocket motor with a ZTW Seal 130a 6S esc. It's swinging a x457 prop that is now surface drive and pulling about 80 amps peak. I'm running 2 5000mah 3S batteries in series and the CG is about 30% from the stern.

This is how she runs and looks:

I was getting brown outs from the poor bec built into the ESC, so I have since added an external one. I'm guessing it's running 60mph+, but I have yet to GPS it. At those speeds it's pretty unstable in anything but glass water.

The power system on this one is my best build yet. I'm still learning surface drive and electric so my first couple were too high of kv, they still run though. This one seems spot on and I'm thrilled with the performance especially given the cheap price tag on the electronics.

Hopefully some one will be inspired to convert an old nitro or gasser to electric. The cost was really not that bad. I think I got the ESC and Motor for about $110 total.

Totally cool ! Love the paint job - keep us posted
    2008 NAMBA P-Mono & P-Offshore Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder; '15 P-Cat, P-Ltd Cat 2-Lap
    2009/2010 NAMBA P-Sport Hydro Nat'l 2-Lap Record Holder, '13 SCSTA P-Ltd Cat High Points
    '11 NAMBA [P-Ltd] : Mono, Offshore, OPC, Sport Hydro; '06 LSO, '12,'13,'14 P Ltd Cat /Mono

Great fun isn’t it? I have a DV 45” with a 56 size cheapy Proteus motor. 600kv and 12s I believe I was running. I had the 14s ESC around. It is surprising how these hills will move out. I certainly did not expect the result.

Looks like an entertaining spot to run and jump some wake.