Thread: Prop suggestions for a scratch built boat

Default Prop suggestions for a scratch built boat

Hello all, I am new to this forum. The boat I made is from plans but not from a kit. It is called Baby Bootlegger and it about 42 inches long and weighs about 6 1/2 lbs. It has an 850 Brush type motor and will never be as fast as the brushless light boats that are out there as kits. It is made of mahogany cut into thin planks (double hull) and has an added fiberglass layer. I had a three blade brass 45mm prop left hand with my old 800 brush type motor. That motor turned about 3500 rpm and had no issues except it did not go fast enough. I replace that motor with the 850 brush type motor Details here https://www.conrad.com/p/model-ship-brushed-motor-mfa-torpedo-850-idle-speed-9778-rpm-222377 and I now get cavitation when I go full throttle. My plan is to use a two blade prop 50mm that I ordered, but the rub is it will take till November to get the thing. So finally to the question: What prop do you all suggest I get? The shaft is 3/16 and the prop I currently threads on to the end, but I did get a new end nut and prop drive dog from OffShore for the other types of prob that do not screw on. So to recap: boat length 42 inches, boat weight 6.5 lb, motor 850, current 3 blade 45mm cavitates. Goal, no cavitation and more speed.

Regards,

Gary

I would suggest Emailing Chris over at www.dasboata.com . He should be able to help you out . Beautiful boat you've got there.

Thank you for the advice and kind words.