Thread: Motor Size for a twin electric 980mm deep v

Default Motor Size for a twin electric 980mm deep v

I am Currently Building a 980mm monohull. The Hull is 3D printed and a layer of fiberglass will be applied to the exterior. It will have two tfl 110mm stinger drives, and a center mounted rudder. I don't really know much about the propulsion part of the boat. I have been reading other forum posts and roughly decided to use two leopard 4082 1600kv motors, Turnigy 180a esc's, and two 6s 100c 6000mah 22.2v batteries. From my understanding this an acceptable setup and I am thinking of running 42mm 3 blade cnc props. Maybe someone who knows more could help me decide if I should downsize the motors or stick with what I have already picked out.

With the assumption you are going to use this a sport set up rather than racing or all out speed, you could go with 4074 cans of the same kv and OSE Raider 150 esc's, otherwise what you have picked out already will do the job. It just depends on your goals really.
    NZMPBA 2013, 2016 Open Electric Champion. NZMPBA 2016 P Offshore Champion.
    2016 SUHA Q Sport Hydro Hi Points Champion.
    BOPMPBC Open Mono, Open Electric Champion.

My Baby Raptor has similar size and uses 4074 1600kV Twin @ 6s2p 5000 LiPo and has the potential to do 70+mph depending on the props.
    At 70mph you already need a quite strong hull but your general choice will work in general and gives you the option to adapt it.
    Propellers are always a matter of good guess and try&error

You can use light weight outrunner motors, 3126 size, 1600kV :

https://www.banggood.com/SS-Series-H...uid=btP4bU0vFn

First of all thank you for your input. You are correct with the assumption that this a sport set up, but I would like to have potential to do speed runs in the future. The Turnigy 180a esc's are roughly the same price as the OSE Raider 150's, do you think it would be worth the extra $40 to go with the 4082's over the 4074's?

Thank you. The Baby Raptor is a beautiful boat, your mention of the potential speed brings me confidence in my picked setup. do you have any pictures or videos of your raptor? also in regards to the strength of my hull it is 3d printed in five parts with 2mm thick walls and I will apply a layer of fiberglass to the exterior. It should be pretty strong, do you think I should apply an addition layer to the interior of the hull?