Thread: ?S? bend in stuffing tube?

Default ?S? bend in stuffing tube?

Yay or nay? Is friction a concern?

Thx doodes!

While most of my boats built in the 20th century used S-bends, most I have built since then have a J-bend. Is a J-bend better? All I can say is that both worked well for me, with the J being easier to install in most (but not all) builds.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Thanks Jay!

Unfortunately a J-bend won?t work in my application without butchering the hull and canopy.

If you are doing a single, then probably doable.. but I’ve seen twins be more than twice the challenge. It is tough enough getting two drive trains to perform close to equally and the stuffing tube is the biggest wild card IME.

The last S bend I saw was in a twin cat and one side kept getting considerably hotter than the other, which made trouble shooting even more mysterious. But then again as Jay reminds us, YMMV.
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Jesse, this is a single. And late last night I figured how to get away with a J-bend 😎

I've not had much luck with an S bend. I typically will keep fiddling until I can find a way to make the J work. Tip the motor. Move it. What ever. Every build has it's own challenges.
    Noisy person

Go to Paul Pachmayer in tips and info on stuffing tube build. There will tell you how to tilt motor for proper alignment. I use a liner which should be a tight fit so it won't turn.. Now if real tight, just sand liner to make it slide in easier. Less noise with liner. I tried straight shafts and worked out easy, just did it for the h^^^ of it and never looked back!

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    I've not had much luck with an S bend. I typically will keep fiddling until I can find a way to make the J work. Tip the motor. Move it. What ever. Every build has it's own challenges.
    It?s the 71mm Plettenberg motor That gave me a tough time. But I got it sorted.