Thread: Aluminum stuffing tube?

Default Aluminum stuffing tube?

Is aluminum tubing suitable for stuffing tubes?

Aluminum gets work hardened as you bend it . If you don't get it right the first time it may crack if you try to bend it back . Also I'm not sure how long it would last against a steel flex shaft unless you're using a teflon tube inside it . Others may have more info.

If you don't use a teflon liner it won't last long against hardened steel flex shafts. Do you really think you need to save weight or is it just what you have handy?

Brass is pretty much a standard. A decade ago we used to b worried about weight but not so much now.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    If you don't use a teflon liner it won't last long against hardened steel flex shafts. Do you really think you need to save weight or is it just what you have handy?

Brass is pretty much a standard. A decade ago we used to b worried about weight but not so much now.
    I picked up a couple brass tubes at ACE and saw that they offered 5/16? in aluminum. It was just a curiosity.

As well as being weak, it is really sticky compared to brass or stainless so you need a liner for sure. I have used it in the brushed NiCad days when weight was more important (and I didn't know about wires), so I can say that with a liner it does work to some extent.
    Paul Upton-Taylor, Greased Weasel Racing.