Thread: ESC telemetry

Default ESC telemetry

I'm just getting into FE boats and have started accumulating parts/boats/electronics and am hoping to find an ESC that can support SBUS2 telemetry on a futaba rx/tx. Looks like Spectrum just came out with a marine ESC that supports their telemetry protocol and quite a few of the rc car ESCs are offering telemetry as well.

The used boat I purchased has a Mamba Monster 2 ESC with an add on water cooled heat sink. I purchased the Castle creations futaba telemetry gadget to interface with it but didn't realize it was not a marine ESC. I'll probably use it for now and see how it works but am curious if anyone knows of a solid water cooled ESC with telemetry.

I realize Futaba has their own volt/current sensor but it is overpriced. I have an SBUS2 converter (see link) so I can use a cheap GPS. Nothing necessary but I like data.

httpss://shop.tje.dk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=45&osCsid=36 f239e31ulnmbn5bgbbsk9ph4

Instead of "tying" yourself down to anyone specific brand's version of telemetry, have you considered a Telemetry setup that would be compatible ANY brand of Tx/Rx?

Steve (OSE) carries the RCM V2 Telemetry System (ose-83279-v2), as well as the rpm sensors ('magnetic' for gas/nitro, 'brushless' for brushless electric), and replacement parts, for the system. You can find them telemetry System, as well as the "extra parts", here: https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pr...ower+Analyzers

NOTE:. On that page, items 2-5, plus the last 3 items, are NOT related to the RCM Telemetry System.

In addition to FE use, you could connect it into any land-based vehicles, as it's not "boat specific". I picked one up from someone selling an unopened box a few weeks ago, and have been testing it out. As far as I can tell, it's fantastic - I'm getting multiple temp readouts, current speed, max speed...and, if I save the data to a file, and upload it to my computer, I could incorporate the data into videos that I upload to YouTube.

The kit includes 3 temperature sensors (one each for ESC, motor, & battery), a GPS module (for speed AND location mapping), the 'brain', and a few wires for powering the 'brain'. There is one "downside", but only if you use crApple products - the app is for Android ONLY. If you're an iOS user, you're SoL.

As I am planning on using it in multiple vessels, I'm using electrical tape to hold the sensors in place on the ESC & motor...and, as for the battery, I hold it in place using the same straps holding the batteries in place. Power to the 'brain' is supplied through the battery's balance connector, although the kit does include an adapter for plugging it into the RX...I just haven't yet figured out how to connect the adapter to the 'brain' (ie. the connectors of each wire don't appear to be the same, so I suspect I need to replace a connector at the end of one of the wires...either the other end of the RX adapter, or the other end of the wire that plugs into the 'brain').

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Thanks, I might go in that direction. The Futaba 4PM tx logs telemetry so I was hoping have realtime data/alarms and be able to pull the SD card and plot the data for tuning without having to open the rx box to download the data. I believe the Mamba ESC provides volts/amps/rpm/temp.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairbarnacle View Post
    Thanks, I might go in that direction. The Futaba 4PM tx logs telemetry so I was hoping have realtime data/alarms and be able to pull the SD card and plot the data for tuning without having to open the rx box to download the data. I believe the Mamba ESC provides volts/amps/rpm/temp.
    This unit does show real-time data, within the app on the phone. And, there's no card to pull...if you want to save the data after a run, it's saved to the phone. From there to you can upload it to the cloud of your choice and/or transfer it to your computer. Additionally, within the app, you can have it show metric, or imperial.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

In my opinion the Castle's have some of the best easiest to use logging. If you want telemetry with a Futaba radio add the $50 SBUS2 interface.
    Most boaters are not modifying Castle Air or car controllers for liquid cooling. We do void the warranty but most of us are used to that.
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525
    T-Hydro @ 142.94mph former WR

Quote Originally Posted by RaceMechaniX View Post
    In my opinion the Castle's have some of the best easiest to use logging. If you want telemetry with a Futaba radio add the $50 SBUS2 interface.
    Most boaters are not modifying Castle Air or car controllers for liquid cooling. We do void the warranty but most of us are used to that.
    Hi Tyler,

Are you saying that boaters are using Castle car controllers with just the fan cooling, and air controllers with no cooling?
    Ron - The Villages, FL

https://castawaysboatworx.org/

Most of us are converting the air cooled ESC's to water cooling. ESC's like the ICE and Edge 200 models or the older XLX.
    The new XLX2 looks very nice, but it will be difficult to convert to water cooling.
    I am sure some guys will try to run the fan only.

IMG_4375.jpgIMG_4376.jpgIMG_4374.jpg
    Tyler Garrard
    NAMBA 639/IMPBA 20525
    T-Hydro @ 142.94mph former WR

RaceMechanix,

I've seen a few threads on converting castle ESCs for liquid cooling but it looks like you've done your homework. I'd like to request some pointers on putting together an ESC for P-Ltd Hydro&OPC?

Thanks,
    KG