Thread: Sharing my two latest 1:10 Scale builds

Default Sharing my two latest 1:10 Scale builds

It's been a while since I posted anything on the forum so I thought I'd show what I've built since the U-3 Ace Hardware boat in 2018. I can manage about one boat for myself each year. I always wanted to build the 78 Van's P-X and finally did that last year for the 2019 season. I wanted the challenge of making a complicated paint job look good and just jumped in. I ended up making the blended gradient section of the deck with printed vinyl that I designed in Photoshop Elements and had printed at the FedEx/Kinko's down the street. The rest is painted. Jeff Ross (MonoJeff) did the lettering and number graphics for me and did a great job with it. The boat ran great after a little sponson tweaking and experimenting. According to our Division 2 specs, I run the Scorpion 3226-1600 kv motor in it. I use the Turnigy Marine 120 ESC with it. After breaking my 1/8" shaft off at the drive dog, I redesigned my prop shafts to be a bit more durable and better supported. I now use a 3/16" stub shaft of about 2.5" at the end of my shafts and a brass sleeve bushing in the stuffing tube of the same length to support it in all of my boats. The boats run much quieter, with less vibration and no more broken shafts or struts.

My 2020 COVID 19 build was an odd one that I've enjoyed. The challenge this time was to draw the plans using many pictures and try to put as much of the real boat's design in it as possible. I chose the 1949 Skip-A-Long, drew most of the plans in a hotel room in the evenings during a week-long conference I attended for work. This turned out better than I imagined and actually performs really well on the water too. It's a unique boat with a strange history. The real boat actually sank in Lake Tahoe after an exhibition run. It had just won the Harmsworth Trophy and ended up spending the next 30 years on the bottom of the Lake. It has since been recovered, but no one has followed through in a restoration effort. I run the Scorpion 3026-1210 in it with a Turnigy Marine 120 without any problems so far. Jeff did the graphics for this one too. I have only had it on the water for testing a few times since our racing season in 2020 had to be cancelled due to the pandemic. I really miss getting together with the Classic Thunder guys and running boats, but for now we have to limit our outings to small groups and get out when we can. With a little extra time on my hands, I've started a "just for fun and mental health" build of the 1975 "Winged Wonder" Pay'N Pak, one of my favorites.

If you're looking to build a 1:10 scale and need cowlings or other accessories to complete the project, visit the HydroScaleCreations web site linked below and/or send me an email with pics of what you've got in mind. I'll see what I can do to help you make it a reality. Happy building everyone and stay safe.

IMG_4872.jpg 78Van'sPXwins2.jpg 78VansPXwinsAtomic.jpg IMG_4861.jpg IMG_4863.jpg
    Mitch Dillard
    1:10 Scale Hydroplane Enthusiast
    hydroscalecreations.us, email:hydroscale@gmail.com

Beautiful boats. The Skip-a-long Looks cool as hell. Any video of it running?

I don't have any video as of yet, but I'll try that next time out. I don't have a decent video camera, but I could try having someone use my phone to do it. You ever tried that? Everyone seems to have a Go-Pro these days, not me.
    Mitch Dillard

Hey Mitch, amazing work!!
    Are these replicas of full scale boats? If so, please share a link.
    Quite inspirational models!
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Cool

I saw the Skip-a-Long at the HARM in Tacoma around 1999. It was in surprising good condition considering, even the original paint was visible. It was in line for restoration back then, no idea what happened to that plan.

41090BC5-A42C-4EA4-920D-8FEB85AB1954.jpeg44CF2423-E6C6-451A-9A39-0F6179B010BA.jpeg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

I picked up a Gopro Hero last year and a baseball cap that has a 1/4-20 camera mount screw built into it that I picked up on Amazon.Nice part is I can mount the Gopro on the boats if I want.

Like this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJoiFJMe-p8

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    I saw the Skip-a-Long at the HARM in Tacoma around 1999. It was in surprising good condition considering, even the original paint was visible. It was in line for restoration back then, no idea what happened to that plan.
    Nice, thanks Jay! What powered the skip along and did it race?
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Skip-a-Long was Allison powered and race the circuit in 1948-49. She sunk in Lake Tahoe in 49. Recently retrieved and awaiting restoration

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse J View Post
    Hey Mitch, amazing work!!
    Are these replicas of full scale boats? If so, please share a link.
    Quite inspirational models!
    I found this video online about the Skip-A-Long story. You might find it interesting. https://youtu.be/4nwtj0dhIAY

Here are a few more pics of the real boats I modeled my boats after.

U-80(15).jpg U-80(4).jpg Skip A Long 28.jpg Skip A Long 25.jpg Screenshot (54).jpg
    Mitch Dillard

Vary nice!!

Hi, i`m from Germany. The Skip a Long is a very nice boat. Can you help me with plans?, Ore more photos?

Best reagards Heiko

The Classic Thunders page is very interesting

https://classicthunder.us/News/NewsLetter.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Larger View Post
    Hi, i`m from Germany. The Skip a Long is a very nice boat. Can you help me with plans?, Ore more photos?

Best reagards Heiko
    Heiko, I had to draw my own scale plans using a bunch of pictures I found online of the real boat and many of them were photos of it after it was recovered from the bottom of Lake Tahoe. If you do a Google image search you can likely find the whole photo gallery. Send me an email and I'll see if I can send you a good shot of what I have for plans.
    Mitch Dillard

Miss Vans px must have been before it was Miss Frank Kenny Toyota !! Seafair years ago !! Always thought it had the best paint scheme for a hydro. Bet a beer on that boat and won, the other boat was a dnf !! The Good Old Days!