Thread: Motor Identification

Default Motor Identification

I recently purchased a used BBY SS 30 Sport Hydro and am trying to figure out what motor was installed in it. The only markings are showing 2030kv. The motor can is 36.23 x 56.26mm. I plan on racing p-ltd so it looks like I'll be class legal for NAMBA but would like to know more about it.
    Screenshot from 2020-10-07 15-06-32.jpgScreenshot from 2020-10-07 15-06-57.jpg

Default Motor Identification

Pretty sure thats the Aquacraft 2030kv, I think they are getting harder to find now. You should be all good to go .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Namba District 16
    1/8 Miss U.S., 1/8 59 Maverick, 1/8 Executone, 1/8 Smokin Joe, 1/8 Bud, MLGSX380, AC Pro40II Q Sport, AC Pro40II nitro,Twincraft mono 10s, Vision AOPC, VS1 FE, M34.

I could be wrong about this (still somewhat of an FE newb)...but, if memory serves me correctly, that motor was sorta-kinda 'jointly' developed by Aquacraft, SSS (ie. TFL), & ProMarine, and should be a 6-Pole motor. What I do know is that, as far as I've been able to determine (based on internet into), the Aquacraft & SSS motors appear to have identical specs, with the only difference being the can colors - gold for Aquacraft, black for SSS.

If correct, I don't know whether SSS/TFL "bought out" Aquacraft's 'interest' in the motor, or whether Aquacraft "handed over" all manufacturing to SSS/TFL. I've got the SSS variant installed in my CF Pursuit, also for P-Ltd, and the motor runs as smooth as can be.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

Is it gold or greenish?
    "Look good doin' it"
    See the fleet

Gold. Looks like an aquacraft.

Aquacraft 2030 most likely. NAMBA legal. Zero relation to the SSS motors as far as I know.
    Noisy person

Cool

Yep, the AQ2030 motor had no relation to SSS (which broke away from TP and started in business only after that motor was introduced) nor to ProBoat. Color and ?specs? have nothing to do with motor relationships when discussing Chinese motors. They copy each other shamelessly, with many using sub-par parts and assembly to reduce their own selling price. Many spec sheets are simply wishful thinking sprinkled with unicorn dust and chinglish....

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Fantastic description of Chinese quality control. Plus I learned a brand new word today "CHINGLISH". All smiles.

Just curious...but...is Chinglish anything like Spanglish? Lol

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    Last edited by Panther6834; 10-08-2020 at 07:55 PM.

Just curious...but...is Chinglish antonio like Spanglish?....
    Antonio say: “it is idemical”.

ERROR 403 - This is not the page you are looking for

Quote Originally Posted by Fluid View Post
    Antonio say: ?it is idemical?.

Darn typos...meant 'anything', c not 'antonio'.

Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    I could be wrong about this (still somewhat of an FE newb)...but, if memory serves me correctly, that motor was sorta-kinda 'jointly' developed by Aquacraft, SSS (ie. TFL), & ProMarine, and should be a 6-Pole motor. What I do know is that, as far as I've been able to determine (based on internet into), the Aquacraft & SSS motors appear to have identical specs, with the only difference being the can colors - gold for Aquacraft, black for SSS.

If correct, I don't know whether SSS/TFL "bought out" Aquacraft's 'interest' in the motor, or whether Aquacraft "handed over" all manufacturing to SSS/TFL. I've got the SSS variant installed in my CF Pursuit, also for P-Ltd, and the motor runs as smooth as can be.

The newer PB 2000kv blue motor DYNM3831 is probably from the same factory as the Black SSS 2030kvmotor as they are almost identical.
    Nortavlag Bulc

Quote Originally Posted by ray schrauwen View Post
    The newer PB 2000kv blue motor DYNM3831 is probably from the same factory as the Black SSS 2030kvmotor as they are almost identical.
    Maybe they're made in the same factory, and maybe not...but, still, two entirely different motors. Saying these two are "almost identical" is like saying the Toyota 22R & 4AGE are "almost identical", just because they were made in the same factory, and had almost-identical HP.

As for being "made in the same factory", I'm sure LOTS of different motors, to be sold under multiple 'brand' names, are made in the same factory. What I was attempting (incorrectly, as someone else posted, after my initial comment) to say was that I was led to believe (based on something a few others had said a while back, in a different thread) that the Aquacraft & SSS 6-pole 2030kV motors were the same, even though they might have been built in different factories. This was, again, based on what some others said, over a year ago, in a different thread (I can't recall whether it was in the OSE, or RC Groups, forum).

I've had both apart. Not the same. The earlier versions of the AQ motors were much better motors than the SSS in my opinion.

Another interesting thing with some of these manufacturers is that there can be variation within lots too. The gauge of the wire and even the quantity of copper can be different from batch to batch of a single brand. It's hard to get the nogin around but you can get the same kv from two motors that appear identical, are in the same can, from a single manufacturer and one could have less copper in it. The one with less copper is capable of fewer watts. Sucker will get a lot hotter on the same prop. Within spec so they send em. It's maddening. More common with less expensive motors. I suspect they're just not concerned about their reputation like Neu or even TP. TP isn't top shelf but they're performance is solid and pretty consistent. They also use higher temp wire.

When you're looking fer motors.....ask around about them if you can. Not all manufacturers are guilty.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    I've had both apart. Not the same. The earlier versions of the AQ motors were much better motors than the SSS in my opinion.

Another interesting thing with some of these manufacturers is that there can be variation within lots too. The gauge of the wire and even the quantity of copper can be different from batch to batch of a single brand. It's hard to get the nogin around but you can get the same kv from two motors that appear identical, are in the same can, from a single manufacturer and one could have less copper in it. The one with less copper is capable of fewer watts. Sucker will get a lot hotter on the same prop. Within spec so they send em. It's maddening. More common with less expensive motors. I suspect they're just not concerned about their reputation like Neu or even TP. TP isn't top shelf but they're performance is solid and pretty consistent. They also use higher temp wire.

When you're looking fer motors.....ask around about them if you can. Not all manufacturers are guilty.
    There is no condemning of actual experience. From you Mr.Davis, I take advice as gospel 99.9% of the time.

Thanks for all your input!
    Nortavlag Bulc

@T.S.Davis
    Again, I was only passing along info I had read in another thread. As for the "informational" info you included, thank you...GREATLY appreciated.

If Neu is one of the best, TP isn't too far behind, and SSS is "a few steps down", hope you you place other more-known brands (Leopard, Spektrum/Dynamite, Tenshock, etc)? I know land motors pretty well, but I'm still on the learning-end where marine motors are concerned.

I acquired an identical motor with a Aquacat Segad 53" First boat and trying to learn. How big a battery can I use. How many volts can motor take etc. I am also trying to find CG. Is the transom considered where the hull ends on bottom or where in ends on top? On Cat top protrudes a few inches further than bottom.
    Last edited by tacman; 10-10-2020 at 11:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    @T.S.Davis
    Again, I was only passing along info I had read in another thread. As for the "informational" info you included, thank you...GREATLY appreciated.
    Sorry if it sounded like I was beating up on ya. Didn't mean that at all. Oh and if we quit learning we've died.
    Noisy person

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Davis View Post
    Sorry if it sounded like I was beating up on ya. Didn't mean that at all. Oh and if we quit learning we've died.
    No worries...like you said, "If we've quit learning, we've died." Three days ago, something I thought I already knew, I was taught a VERY hard-learned lesson. Let's just say, there was an "altercation" between my thumb, and a sharpened/balanced prop, and the prop won...oh (and OUCH!!!), did the prop win. Never bring a knife to a gunfight, and never bet on a thumb against a prop.

I have one like that too. Filed it under dumb a$$ in the cabinet full of crap I've done in a life time.
    Noisy person